Tips for mixing those tunes that dont jsut wanna stay in beat

hazdaman100

Bum 'n Face
VIP Junglist
Anyone got any tips for keeping those annoying tunes that nevr want to hold their pitch. Some tunes love to stay in beat. Others wander off like a curious spastic. Tips to keep the little blighters where they should be
-I try to adjust both pitches
-tap the platter ever so slightly
but even then they dont seem to always stay in time

just listening :D

guess its the bigger bpm-differences making it harder for you. get to know your tunes and how fast they are in comparison and, most importantly, try try try!

i know this sounds really dumb but if i feel the tunes are locked but they then suddenly start to drift apart, the tune i am mixing into the one currently playing, i ever so slightly wiggle the pitch bend backwards and forwards to ride it back in. theres probably a better way of explaining this and believe me, im no superstar DJ

Only Touch the Pitch of the track your brining in or if the one whos bassline isnt being used...Also try not to rely on touching the platter to sync your tracks riding the pitch gives you a better idea of where the pitch should be and will allow you to keep it synced much better.

Give me an example of 2 tunes you're talking about?

all I get from this is "I can't beatmatch" and if this is the case there are other threads about how to beatmatch.

all I get from this is "I can't beatmatch" and if this is the case there are other threads about how to beatmatch.

Lol, nah can beatmatch perfectly fine mate, im talking bout tunes that you seem to literally have to ride the pitch for the whole mix case the bastard cant lock. Mostly tunes at 33rpm eg Jmajik Remix of spaced invader is a gd example (mayb casuse its at 33rpm), 'If we ever can be' a bitch at times
Im guessing its tunes that are not at a perfect bpm eg 173.4 bmp.
Just after tips, obviously ive got my methods, just wanted a broader look at the possibilities
Obviously you nevr have this problem, so please share your secrets:clown:

the bpms shouldnt make any difference mate, maybe the wholes in the middle of some of ur vinyl are a bit loose? only thing I can see making a difference

one example of this i can think of is a double drop i did of diplodocus by Noisia with tactix by hazard... noth have quite interesting swing and off beat percusion on the beats, and are quite minimal... getting them bang on locked was more challenging thatn normal as the slightest percentage out would make itself eveident instantly, rather than a gradual drifting you get when other tunes aren't quite 100% locked!?

^^

probably that. same with techy tunes that got loads of percussions, ie breaks splashstep..

offtopic: your dancing bender sig is sick .D

one example of this i can think of is a double drop i did of diplodocus by Noisia with tactix by hazard... noth have quite interesting swing and off beat percusion on the beats, and are quite minimal... getting them bang on locked was more challenging thatn normal as the slightest percentage out would make itself eveident instantly, rather than a gradual drifting you get when other tunes aren't quite 100% locked!?

This seems to be quite a good analysis of the problem.
Possibly loose on the spindal too, im not sure, but some tunes really dont like 'locking' with eachother

I know what you mean Hazardman. I made a thead recently where I asked in which ranges of bpm differences do you notice this happen. I didn't get a very staright forward answer. Everyone just seemed to suggest that everything can be beatmatched no matter what. I always thought two tunes whould always drift apart no matter what. Now I realize that I just didn't know when to leave the damn pitch shift alone at times when something was beatmatched. But there are tunes still that it seems that you have to keep your hand on the pitch shift the entire mix.

You are not alone Hazdaman.. Friction barely takes his hand off the pitch and is constantly riding it too perfection so tunes just need a lttile more attention.

The best way to suss them is to get them as close as you get, leave them playing and don't touch them. Keep listening until they start to be noticably out and then keep leaving them. This will then tell you exactly which way you need to adjust it in future.

I had this recently and just had to keep letting them do there thing until i realise what thought was in, actually meant it was supposed to be faster/slower or vise versa.

Hope that makes sence (y)

Just keep practicing... I knew when I started mixing I had this all the time... Can't really see anythink as being harder than anything else anymore, if it's got a beat too it.. A lapse of concentration can cause grief though.

I blame myself not the tracks if something goes wrong, just means that I didn't pay enough attention.

But there are tunes still that it seems that you have to keep your hand on the pitch shift the entire mix.

you should keep your hand on the pitch shift the entire time...riding the pitch is how you keep it in sync. most people arent andy c and can't lineup a track in a phrase and never touch the pitch again haha.

Last edited:
you should keep your hand on the pitch shift the entire time...riding the pitch is how you keep it in sync. most people arent andy c and can't lineup a track in a phrase and never touch the pitch again haha.

fixed.

It a goal everyone should set out to achieve though... Gotta aim high imo. Personally, I would like to be far superior lol... We can all dream eh :rinsed:

Besides I have seen Andy touch the platter and the vinyl etc when I played before/after him.

Back
Top Bottom