Tips for mixing those tunes that dont jsut wanna stay in beat

Anyone got any tips for keeping those annoying tunes that nevr want to hold their pitch. Some tunes love to stay in beat. Others wander off like a curious spastic. Tips to keep the little blighters where they should be
-I try to adjust both pitches
-tap the platter ever so slightly
but even then they dont seem to always stay in time

i know what your on about, there are some deceiving tunes. only a small handful i've cme across. they never appear to go in right. no answer. just something you gotta deal with. i find once you know the tunes gonna be a bitch you just be a little more careful when mixin it and its no problem.

i know what your on about, there are some deceiving tunes. only a small handful i've cme across. they never appear to go in right. no answer. just something you gotta deal with. i find once you know the tunes gonna be a bitch you just be a little more careful when mixin it and its no problem.

Tunes structure can play into this.. Think like Body Rock...

Sometimes tunes are perfectly synced and sound shit.. the idea is to get into your head what goes well, and avoid picking tunes which would clash in the mix.

fixed.

It a goal everyone should set out to achieve though... Gotta aim high imo. Personally, I would like to be far superior lol... We can all dream eh :rinsed:

Besides I have seen Andy touch the platter and the vinyl etc when I played before/after him.

my bad haha , yeah ive seen vids of him touchin the platter and vinyl but he seems to make corrections waaaaaay too fast to be human :P I was mainly implying that everyone thinks there doing something wrong when they have to ride the pitch all the time because they see these bigname dj's with decades of experience do it with their eyes closed.

my bad haha , yeah ive seen vids of him touchin the platter and vinyl but he seems to make corrections waaaaaay too fast to be human :P I was mainly implying that everyone thinks there doing something wrong when they have to ride the pitch all the time because they see these bigname dj's with decades of experience do it with their eyes closed.

I dont think he is human... is he? lol

It's not impossible though, I often take the headphones off when it's locked real tight so I can enjoy the mix. Few claps and spin around, gun fingers to my imaginary crowd etc... You get the picture :teeth:

I dont think he is human... is he? lol

It's not impossible though, I often take the headphones off when it's locked real tight so I can enjoy the mix. Few claps and spin around, gun fingers to my imaginary crowd etc... You get the picture :teeth:

Haha I think everyone does the imaginary crowd hyping procedures when they're on fire

Some tunes aren't properly quantized (mainly older tracks). This means their beats aren't quite precisely aligned and consistent. These tracks will be impossible to lock so you just have to keep your hand on the pitch and listen carefully

i have this problem but its not that bad really, its only annoying when mixing alix perez tunes or some spectrasoul tunes where the purcussion is very minimal so you have to be perfect with your mixing.
I always thought it was my shitty decks though

Some tunes aren't properly quantized (mainly older tracks). This means their beats aren't quite precisely aligned and consistent. These tracks will be impossible to lock so you just have to keep your hand on the pitch and listen carefully

Even if they aren't quantized the tempo will be the same just the groove making some of individual hits slightly before/after a hard quantized tune. Best way is just to get the tempo right and align them as best you can, they shouldn't drift if you've got your tempo correction spot on. I have a Resonant Evil tune that is like this (The Violater) a lot of jungle is like this too but so splashy compared to modern beats its not as audible when you're mixing.

Even if they aren't quantized the tempo will be the same just the groove making some of individual hits slightly before/after a hard quantized tune. Best way is just to get the tempo right and align them as best you can, they shouldn't drift if you've got your tempo correction spot on. I have a Resonant Evil tune that is like this (The Violater) a lot of jungle is like this too but so splashy compared to modern beats its not as audible when you're mixing.

this is nail. head. your deceived by the sounds so you make irrelevant adjustments of pitch, the result, its out of time again. trust your first decision.

you ever get the ones that sound slower when they're faster???

^ yeah, when i was just starting i had trouble with the resistance by spor and if we ever by high contrast

not anymore really now

Anyone got any tips for keeping those annoying tunes that nevr want to hold their pitch. Some tunes love to stay in beat. Others wander off like a curious spastic. Tips to keep the little blighters where they should be
-I try to adjust both pitches
-tap the platter ever so slightly
but even then they dont seem to always stay in time

joker!!

this is nail. head. your deceived by the sounds so you make irrelevant adjustments of pitch, the result, its out of time again. trust your first decision.

you ever get the ones that sound slower when they're faster???

this is to do with beat structure... a rule of thumb when making tracks is to lower the bpm a bit for very percussive tracks and speed up the bpm a touch for more sparse drum tracks... this is because the ear is tricked into thinking the 'speed' is different due to the hectic (or not) nature of the drums!

Fucking jungle fx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my new tune that I cant get to grips with!
Fucking Lomax

Fucking jungle fx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my new tune that I cant get to grips with!
Fucking Lomax

thats a tune =)

also agree with diplodocus! although can beatmatch it fine.. its the thing with you think its too slow when really its too fast.. awesome tune though =)
the tune thats doing my head in at the moment as im discovering the classics and bagging tunes that every DJ should own is 'Messiah'.. dont know what it is about it..

and the 'wondering off like a curious spastic' cracked me up.. haha

Back
Top Bottom