tips for drops

Discussion in 'Production' started by DJFactors, Sep 26, 2010.

1. DJFactors

DJFactors New Member

Just wondering if anyone has any like advice on how to make a song drop in effectively i know its abit of an open question but if you could take a listen to some of my songs iv been told that it doesnt kick in well enough

if anyone would do that with feedback that wud be peachie :) XD hahaha

http://soundcloud.com/dj-factors/sets/first-uploads

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

3. DJFactors

DJFactors New Member

4. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

Kick rolls, risers, other rolls of percussion is good for dancefloor/jump up etc.
    For a more sinister or darker drop you could have a pause, or have certain elements fade out just for a few bars.
    Or have an increasing/decreasing filter or some sort or flanger or whatever

5. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

High pass a bit right before the drop, or have silence right before. I suck at drops tho so...

6. druu

druu Member

And turn off anything on your master as a lot of people have limiters that kill the transients - turn up the volume on your soundcard for more loudness.

The breakdown makes the drop.

7. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

as others said. risers (white noise, a pitch shifted sound, reversed piano with slow attackk etc pp), put a cymbal on the 1, just like in a rocksong. fade out or in the drums before the drop.
    maybe even just automate the overall volume of your track. endless possibilities.

8. T Leaf

T Leaf Neighbourhood Sickhead

one thing with a drop. its probably just like the old faux special forces summative term for SAS. Speed Aggression Suprise. works nicely for drops. make the [before] quieter than the [after] it will soon come second nature, listen to alot of drops see what makes you go FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

9. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

First, love your playlist there.

Chinese food for friends, followed by (the feeling of) I am become death, followed by the outburst. Dodgy Prawn anyone?

Second, I would focus on getting your mix and balance better before worrying about the drop. Or rather the drop stuff will probably seem a lot easier if your drop is actually well mixed and punchy. The second tune in particular, wtf with the drums on the drop. The waveform suggests a big drop but it sounds like all the wrong things are emphasised.

A/B your drop sections with some tunes that you like. Get your drums sorted, with a sub (weighty low bass) underneath and the rest complimenting that.

All the other ideas are sound, but the most important thing is you need to have a good drop to begin with, can't build up to a wet fart ya know. :teeth:

10. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

actually you could. just build up, FART and then drop. should work ;)

11. Neomind

Neomind Too many skulls!">:O

I love tight drops!! even each 8 bars! :slayer:
    there are very different kind of drops but I'll tell you how I see drops in my own point of view (if that makes sense).

Well, like someone said up here in this thread, adding a crash cymbal just in the very first beat of the drop, makes it drop in harder but... why?

It's all about psychoacustics, anything that seems louder compared to another thing is, unconscionously heard as "better", i.e. more satisfying to your ears.
    You just have to be awared that, your intro shouldn't be as loud as your main verse of your song, and in that main verse, the very first punch should be the highest in volume terms. Here's where the cymbal plays his game.
    When you add a crash cymbal at the start, you're adding volume, plus a higher and (one of the most perceptible sounds) longer sample that fulfills that first beat. So it makes the volume difference between the intro and the rest of the song.

Hope that helped :)