time stretching tips

Discussion in 'Production' started by mistasfx, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

I'm tryin to stretch a vocal from 140bpmish to 178bpm but it starts to sound muddy n metalic.

Any tips??

2. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

so from slower to faster... is chopping it up viable? also what timestretch because i have the two stock ones with soundforge and either one would handle speeding it up without much artifacting. and could try to eq out the boom before timestretching.

3. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

if u have access to a protools system there is an rtas plugin that can timestretch anything without affecting any of the quality of the audio, cant remember the name of it but its pretty well known. other than that, as said b4 try chopping it up with a sampler n then adjust the time sig, or try adding some heavy processing on it and disguise the metalic/morphed sound.

4. dDUBlya

dDUBlya New Member

If you are using logic then break the sample up into its phrases you want per bar. Stretch each phrase then use the flex tool to manipulate each so its on time.
    It will still lose some quality as 140 to 178 is a large hike, maybe even drop the pitch a bit too - this will also stretch it some.

5. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

sorry, im using Cubase 5

6. law_88

law_88 Member

thought i'd just bump this instead of openin up a whole new thread on a pretty similar topic. I've got a sample from an old record that slips in and out of time constantly so i'm findin it impossible to use, is there any way to quantise it or make it useable? i dont think chopping it up will work to be honest as each segment will then be pitched up or down and i think it might make it sound odd? any help would be greatly appreciated i well wanna use this bloody sample!

7. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

is there not like a equation to work out how much you must stretch it to fit in the beats? i wanna move onto some liquid vocal stuff but i can never get it to fit in :/

8. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

9. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

owwy.... is there not one for bpm rather than pitch cos i fuck a give not on the destructive process of timestretch i just want it to fit on the kick snare haha

10. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

wait its there... buried in it all... i wish u never showed me this :(

11. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

i did try and warn you - its hardcore man

12. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

have you tried stretching (compressing!) it in smaller steps.. like from140 to 145bpm. Then take the 145bpm sample and do it again to 150bpm... the artifacts willn probably be different than if you do it all in one step.No idea if it will be better or not though...