Time for new monitors

subprime

Dysjoint
VIP Junglist
Same old question, but I just want any opinions on these specific options. NZ dollars, roughly halve it to get pounds.

Truths B2031A $699,
Samson Resolv A8 $699,
M-Audio BX8-D2 $899,
Rokit RP8G2 $999,
Alesis M1 MK2, $999.

also some secondhand Yamaha HS80s on auction I might be able to get for cheap.

I had a quick listen to the Truths, Rokits and M-Audios in the shop and quite liked the M-audio tbh. They all sounded better than my Studio Spares monitors anyway :)

Cheers.

Truths B2031A = crap quality,not honest

Samson Resolv A8 = better quality still not honest

M-Audio BX8-D2 = horrible sound,crap

Rokit RP8G2 = nice quality but not honest,hi fi not a monitor

Alesis M1 MK2 = not that bad

dunno where you live but around here HS80m is cheaper than rp8g2,its much better monitor than rest of these but worse hi fi than krk,reveal shit more and no hyped bass,so dont sound as pleasing

Last edited:
why do alesis m1 mk2 cost the equivalent of 500 pounds???

got mine new for 300€ o_O
New Zealand prices :( less competition I guess.
The rokits are the ones I've had my eyes on, but the BX8s sounded quite good to my ears as well. The others I'd be buying without hearing which would put me off a bit.

New Zealand prices :( less competition I guess.
The rokits are the ones I've had my eyes on, but the BX8s sounded quite good to my ears as well. The others I'd be buying without hearing which would put me off a bit.

dunno what shipping of a pair of monitors costs, but you should defo look into that!

I did look at the shipping thing a while back and there was GST and (I think) import duty or something + shipping costs/insurance, which added up pretty quick.

Had decided on the Rokits, but just found out my tax return (monitor funds ;) don't tell the wife) was under-estimated, and I could potentially go up to Mackie HR824 mk2.
Also throw the MR8s into the equation, just above the Rokits in price.

Not sure if I can justify double the price for the HRs for a hobbyist like me. Hmmm.

If you can afford the Mackie 824's then also consider Adam A7x's and Genelec 8030's

check out the reviews online and listen to them in a store if you can

^^ have to agree with that.

When it comes down to it though the best thing you can do is listen to every set of monitors you can and make your judgement on what sounds the best for you :)

As in 'don't buy the mk2s'??
not too sure how easy it would be to find used mk1s out here. Will look around tho.

I haven't heard any good reviews of the mk2s to be honest, i'm not sure whether thats in direct comparison to the mk1s which are fantastic or just generally though.

cheers saint.
Mr meh the genelecs are 5 inch, ?? I'll check them out tho.
Scrapped, I've looked around for a place that sells Adams, can't find any. Do you know one? I'm pretty much restricted to Christchurch Rockshop, which doesn't even stock half of the actual range they sell, so listening isn't even that practical.

If you can afford the Mackie 824's then also consider Adam A7x's and Genelec 8030's

check out the reviews online and listen to them in a store if you can

Mackies are one of worst monitors when it comes to flat response and honest character,I know I know,everybody and their dog use it for dnb but thats becose it sounds kinda like audiosystem just smaller,hyped bass,so it translates but it really really isnt neutral speaker in any way

adam and mainly genelec on other hand are much flatter

cheers saint.
Mr meh the genelecs are 5 inch, ?? I'll check them out tho.
Scrapped, I've looked around for a place that sells Adams, can't find any. Do you know one? I'm pretty much restricted to Christchurch Rockshop, which doesn't even stock half of the actual range they sell, so listening isn't even that practical.

Oops, didnt realise the Genelecs were only 5", i guess they are supposed to be used with a seperate sub which is obviously more expensive.

Definitely check those Adams tho, i hear they are spot on for dnb producing. And they look pretty badass too!

Will probably get a pair myself if i ever upgrade my Rokit 6's...

Last edited:
i have rokit 8's, bang for your buck you cant beat them. wicked sound quality in my opinion too, everyone says there too bassy, but find them alright. depends on your room too

Back
Top Bottom