Thoughts & opinions on my master plan?

Ian_x

Might be setting myself up for a load of abuse here and but I am very interested in what people think of this.

I have seen quite a lot of threads and posts on here and other forums from people not liking dnb producers making tunes in other genres and in some places people even hating on them and saying they wont buy their tunes etc.

I absolutely love and have been into jungle/dnb since its inception in the early 90s and before that hardcore and before that development of house in the 80s so am in now way jumping on any bandwagons. But I also love parts of almost every other genre out there, even some pop and cheesy house if its a good tune.

I only started making tunes last year but right from the start I have been making house and dubstep as well as a lot of dnb. I was even offered to do a sort of old school garage remix of a track which has been released and am working on a kinda bassline house thing at the moment. I love to also produce hip hop, grime, ukfunky, electro even maybe some pop tunes one day, bits of every genre really.

Now I am in now way saying I am a brilliant producer as I know I am not and I have years to go before I get good enough if ever, but eventually it would be great to be producing everything. Working with different artists (eg Future Cut with Lilly Allen,Tom Jones, Lemar) and different genres. All hypothetically obviously as it may never happen, but would you think I am not going to play/buy/support that dnb tune because he has done a pop/house tune too?

Apologies for the waffling long post but it may make for an interesting discussion?

I never think like that. If I was a talented producer I'd be bored shitless just making DnB all the time.

Lots of DnB producers release different genre stuff under pseudonyms so this exact thing doesn't happen to them. Its ridiculous really. Why would someone not buy a producers records any more for wanting to develop their sound and broaden their production horizons?

I see nothing wrong with it myself. Heist said in one of his radio shows, after saying he's been workin' a bit of dubstep, a quote he was told from Fabio I believe it was, could be wrong, but the quote was somewhere along the lines of,"If you're truly a good chef, you don't just make fish and chips."
Which is a nice way of putting it in that if you're truly a good producer, you won't just make dnb you're whole life,etc..so yeah man, do what ya can make what makes you happy, etc. pz & respect to ya'.

Your mind would be seriously narrow if you'd only produced one genre, however I think why some artists (not naming anyone) get jipped for producing another genre is because that track is stripped of its vital essence no matter how well produced, its all about the soul:razz:

Music producers produce music ... funnily enough

You can make whatever the fuck you like however the fuck you want to make it, that is the beauty of the freedom of music production

i'm releasing different stuff out my ass all the time.

yesterday was tuesdays madras, this morning theres been some flatulence so yeah i'm all for mixing it up

So is there anyone else on here making different styles too?

I've got some breakbeat tunes that I made when i was first starting in production. I did breakbeats and jungle/dnb in the beginning and steered more toward dnb over time..I toy with dubstep now and then but I am still workin on the elements of that style before I feel it's proper enough sounding in my opinion to start lettin' the masses hear the tunes, etc..in other words, not makin' the tunes to my complete liking yet, heh. I still have some of my breakbeat stuff on mp3, just need to get 'em mastered out as it is just the mixes of the tunes. But not sure if I ever will get them mastered actually.

I never think like that. If I was a talented producer I'd be bored shitless just making DnB all the time.

Lots of DnB producers release different genre stuff under pseudonyms so this exact thing doesn't happen to them. Its ridiculous really. Why would someone not buy a producers records any more for wanting to develop their sound and broaden their production horizons?

Shake my hand, please.

This is the issue with Pendulum. Rob Swire is a phenomenal producer and the stick they get for expanding their sound is incredible. Some narrow minded DnB addicts feel offended that they decided to broaden their horizons, but they should respect Pendulum because they brought DnB more into the mainstram and the genre made many new fans/listeners because of it, including me.

That ain't the issue for me. The issue for me is I believe their sound post BBK/hold your colour is garbage. If you're going to expand, expand and make GOOD music.

I'm not saying you can't like their new stuff, though. This is just MY opinion. I strongly dislike their new sound.

This is the issue with Pendulum. Rob Swire is a phenomenal producer and the stick they get for expanding their sound is incredible. Some narrow minded DnB addicts feel offended that they decided to broaden their horizons, but they should respect Pendulum because they brought DnB more into the mainstram and the genre made many new fans/listeners because of it, including me.

cool story bro.

Same as me. I never get too finish anything where I start too many.

Amen to that, started so much, get the ideas,sounds great and then meh go back a few days later and it's like wtf is this most of the time it's being to critical and wanting it to sound perfect just wish I knew what perfect was :D

To the original op the more styles that producers make the better to evolve one's sound, you gotta get influence and what better than other styles of music regardless of origin.

What I cant see is folks hating on dnb producers for makin dubstep and vice versa!?!

I produce a bit of breakbeat as well as DnB....

I think someone would be pretty stupid to only produce 100% dnb if they felt that they wanted to dabble in other areas.

You have to make music for the love of making it, not because you think it's what everyone else wants you to do.

i produce breaks/dubstep aswell....i can never finish anything though.

Amen to that, started so much, get the ideas,sounds great and then meh go back a few days later and it's like wtf is this most of the time it's being to critical and wanting it to sound perfect just wish I knew what perfect was :D

Same for me, I find I have a small attention span and get bored and start something else quite often too. I also find it hard to get any feedback, dont really have friends into dnb anymore and hardly ever get any replies when I send stuff out as people must get 100s everyday. I am sure if they were good enough they would reply, but just not sure where I am going wrong sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom