Those morphing bass sounds

prettyherb

O I
VIP Junglist
Yeepz. I've started listening minimal and i really like those morphing bass sounds like from Ulterior motive, Spectrasoul, Enei... All their tracks just have that perfect atmosphere...

But how to start that bass sound.. Is it just some sub bass with some filters or is it much more complicated..?

some examples:

So people, can someone help me with these??

grtz

Last edited by a moderator:
its just filterenvelopes on basssounds really. that + distortion & reverb and youre done.

(expect some darker subclash shit soon as im just mastering these sounds, haha ;) )

Ok mate, but you have to explain me something about filter envelopes if you want, cause i'm not really into what you mean :p

Envelope - ADSR

attack - how long the filter takes to open

decay - how long the filter takes to reach the sustain level

sustain - what level the filter stays at until the note is released

release - how long the filter takes to close after the note is released

There may also be a knob somewhere that controls how much this envelope affects the filter (from subtle to full womp)

yeah my guess is it is some bass made in massive or something like that with alot of modulation and movement within the sound
pitching up and pitching down and prob some lfo work
also this would be layered with a sub bass that has the same lfo patterns as the mid bass

Yeh automating the pitch like above can give some serious morphs ;)

some tipps for bass"morphs" in massive, while were at it.

- after doing your standard patch, try different waveforms for alternations of your patch as you can flick through them easily
- try enveloping the waveforms and filters rather than lfo'ing them
- route the filters after each other so you can use both in a chain (go to youtube tutorials for that)
- env. 4 is attached to the master output, dont forget to twist around there aswell
- even use the performer rather than lfos aswell! its sick!
- dont underestimate the power of the mod osc, some envelopes and put on the right osc this can do wonders
- route together different parameters using the macros (youtube again..) and automate these rather than single parameters.
- dont hesitate using stereo plugins like reverb, dimension expander (!!!) and chorus, you could always mono again afterwards
- the voicing option in massive can really give it another edge, dont oversee it.

i would rather do those sounds with a 3xosc tho and do the modulations in the mixer. just how i work, although i got quite good things from that ^^^

keep it up!

Last edited:
Cool massive trick I learnt...

If you have an LFO modulating WT-Position or something like that
Have a different LFO set to stepper or something and modulate the rate of the first LFO

Back
Top Bottom