This strange new conversion of Jump Up to Liquid/Deep/Neuro.

ac

For years, probably since 2002 I was a massive Jump Up fan; Shy FX/G Dub/Moving Fusion/Fresh/Hazard etc. But since around last November, I've suddenly found my love steering towards the liquid and deep stuff.

I do like the odd bit of jump up and if I ever play to a crowd that like it then I will, but I find this new fascination is probably the best thing musically that's ever happened to me.

Any similar stories of such conversion?

Join the club mate.

Since i got into drum n bass 10 odd years ago, i was a die hard jump up fan. Only played it, only listened to it 24/7.

Then as i got into mixing more, i started getting bored of my tunes(which were mainly jump up) and started getting really into liquid & the darker stuff.

I personally feel that liquid stuff has a lot more shelflife, and a track made 5 years ago will still sound fresh today and wont get boring.

Jump up to me, is rave/dancefloor fodder, and i still respect it masively as a sub-genre and still buy a few bit & pieces that im diggin', but nowadays tend to stick to buying music that i can play in another 5 years and think... 'TUNE'.

If i was to put on some jump up now that i bought 5 years ago i can't stand it longer than a minute or so!

Saying all that though, i still love listening to the 96/99 'jump up' era, but mainly because that's when i got into drum n bass. Im sure for people getting into it now, looking back in 10 years and listening to today's sets will have the same love & nostalgia effect i'v got now with those old blackmarket & hyper D sets.

:)

And I find that the bass is deeper and somewhat more soothing in liquid too. I mean, it doesn't overpower the rest of the track. I could go on making a whole list of stuff I am loving right now but that would be silly.

However, Lenzman is definitely my #1 at the moment, going to make it my little mission to grab all of his stuff past and present. :)

My record collection is diverse - the only genre not really represented is jump up, but I do still own a few jump up bits here and there. Didn't really have a single moment of conversion away from jump up, I've just always seen it as for the rave and little else. Theres too much other stuff to listen to at home and spend vinyl money on IMO.

Gotta admit it kinda makes me wince when I see people have made £75ish orderes of solely jump up from websites - seems a bit of a waste. Any vinyl order I make will contain everything from the most chilled out stuff to the harshest stuff, as long as its well produced and original. Thats what I'm after in drum and bass.

I haven't, all I have at the moment are Bright Lights and Emeralds. He's done a remix of that new Madman & Poets tune Afraid Of Jazz

But that Sugar Hill tune isn't showing up on Chemical :confused: got a link at all?

As someone who only started getting into dnb back in August, I've found that much of the jump-up I liked originally starts to feel shallow and easy, like it's simpler music that lacks the depth of heavier, darker stuff.

Since the first show I ever saw was Ed Rush & Optical followed by Evol Intent, I have a special place in my heart for the darker, more neuro dnb with a little bit of dubstep thrown in. This strikes me as the stuff I'll be listening to in a few years, whereas the lighter jump-up such as Pendulum is already grating to me.

yeah i dont really buy jump up on vinyl, i buy some of it but it depends really as i find abit of it quite disposable as there are newer tracks that comeout and just sound similar.

alot of biting in this sub genre

My record collection is diverse - the only genre not really represented is jump up, but I do still own a few jump up bits here and there. Didn't really have a single moment of conversion away from jump up, I've just always seen it as for the rave and little else. Theres too much other stuff to listen to at home and spend vinyl money on IMO.

Gotta admit it kinda makes me wince when I see people have made £75ish orderes of solely jump up from websites - seems a bit of a waste. Any vinyl order I make will contain everything from the most chilled out stuff to the harshest stuff, as long as its well produced and original. Thats what I'm after in drum and bass.

Key words there mate. I was speaking to Cabbie a while back and he agrees that there are a few tunes that seem like they could have had a little more time spent on them. I can't hate it, because it's part of my roots, but I have less love for it than I used to.

I will occasionally grab the odd jump up tune but very rarely nowadays. And it's shameful now to look into my collection and see the hundreds of Pendulum/Fresh/TC/Clipz stuff that at the time I was drooling for. But I can't bring myself to sell them no matter what, it's my collection.

Not saying they're shit because every producer will eventually have a bout of releases where you listen to them and think "Why?" but if I was to sell then I would be going back on my own word and I can't bring myself to do that.

Rambling now but in conclusion Jump Up= OK but not as good as it was, Liquid/Deep = win.

There, lol.

Ever So Slightly is good too.

Gere's a clip of Sugar Hill

I'v no idea on release for this as it was originally coming on headz, but apparently signed to CIA now.

On the Jump up thing, im actually really getting back into it recently. Taxman, Fresh, Heist, Serum are keeping my faith in it.

I don't think il ever lose my love for it completely but my tastes have changed.

I've loved drum n bass since day 1 - 96 onwards anyway as I was into my happy hardcore then and jungle music was called pots n pans :lol: I stilled listened to sets from bukem, rider, fabio etc but got into the drum n bass when I met someone who had decks and was always round there having a mash up! Most my tunes are the jump up style but I also have the darker stuff like renegade hardwear and some old tech step tunes like shadowboxing which is my all time fave I think. I do have alot of jungle but I get bored playing it and I have the mellower liquid style tunes eg high contrast but I usually just incorprate these tunes in some sets. I do like the liquid style, its better to listen to than jump up. I even found a class tune today in my collection LOVE & HAPPINESS - MARCUS INTALEX & S.T. FILES on 31 RECORDS quality tune!

Funny enough i got into stuff like noisia sub focus ect way before i even heard of any jump up. I have my phases but never jump up usualy unless i come across some real banger wich isnt often sorry enough.. If the liquid is right god dam its right.

I'm shaking his hand at Intrigue, security or no :)

This, this is what converted me when i was loosing faith in DnB, it was the end of 2006 or 2007 when i first did Dojo's and have not looked back since, might have been the christmas i think, there was Alix Perez and Makoto playing ( first time id heard the Human Nature remix ) and the place went off, that was it for me the begining of the begining of my love of liquid.

I have not looked back since really, Liquid for me is more 'grown up' if you like, i think the production takes longer and many of the tunes have that feel of being worked on very very hard, it strikes me that there is not as much liquid on redeye for sale compared to jump-up, maybe because less people make it or Jump-up is easier to make i dont know as im not a producer??

But one main thing to me is that Liquid is Drum and proper Bass, proper distinguishable beats that hit hard.....you could call it 'Easy Listening'

Wish i could be making Dojo's this friday too, Calibre Break and Survival was my last one and i fricking love that place....untill the lights come on and you see how skanky it is in there!! haha

Enjoy Friday night AC.........record Lenzman for me!! haha

There is a good Stunna mix with all Lenzman tunes in it that i used to overplay all the time, ill try and find it for ya, there is a tune in there call Milk and Honey thats not been released thats fat.

Oh and Sugar Hill has not been released either :(

here is the Lenzman mix by Stunna from the end of 2007, check it still worth it as there are tunes on here that have not been released STILL and Lenzman only started bringing out tunes on Vynil last year

01. Lenzman - Caught Up (Spearhead)
02. Lenzman & Submorphics - Way Back When (Phunkfiction Dub)
03. Lenzman - Visionary (Strictly Digital)
04. Lenzman & Switch - Cashmere (Dub)
05. Lenzman & Amaning – Siam Square (Dub)
06. Lenzman & Stunna - Milk & Honey VIP (Dub)
07. Lenzman - Typhoon (Dub)
08. Lenzman - I Want You (Future Retro)
09. Lenzman - Close To Me (Future Retro)
10. Lenzman & Switch - No More Tears (Phuzion)
11. Lenzman & Amaning - Kiss & Tell (Dub)
12. Lenzman & Icicle - Untitled (Dub)
13. Lenzman - Live Yhe Dream (Dub)
14. Lenzman & Jubei - Room 237 (Dub)
15. Lenzman - Cold World (Strictly Digital)
16. Lenzman - Deeper Than You (Dub)
17. Lenzman - The Blues (Spearhead)
18. Lenzman - Marseille (Dub)
19. T.I. - Why You Wanna (Lenzman & Switch VIP) (Love Recordings)

http://www.mv2media4.com/serve_download.php?id=31634

As much as i dont like to admit it, some jump up tunes are the bollocks, but as i said 'some'..ive found that people like pleasure, sly, any of that sort bore the fuck out of me because it all sounds identical. liquid and neurofunk i prefer alot more now, and ive recently realised how good Lynx is, because his style is so different and unique, but thats just me :( shame all of my mates constantly listen to and mix jump up, and they get pissy when i play liquid :S dick'eds

Back
Top Bottom