This sort of atmospherey sound

Discussion in 'Production' started by Cat Gas, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

riiiiiiiiiiiiight at the beginning of the track. The sort of atmospherey pads you find on loads of tracks from artists like Alix Perez and Sabre...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

watch sabres production masterclass. basicly its lots of distortion, lots of eqing and lots of compression on odd eery sounds from what i remember from the videos.

3. Gr1pz

Gr1pz Aka - Align.

groelle u wouldnt happen to have those videos would you or know where i could dl them? they are removed from youtube because of copyrights

4. dexter

dexter Member

use anything man, lots of delay, distortion, reverb, grab atmos from movies, horrors, anything, mix it all up, its probably one of the easier things to do because its just random and subtle and no real rules about what it should sound like

5. groelle

thats shit. cant you find them somewhere online tho?

6. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

nah, they took down ALL the production masterclass videos :|
    Also, noob question. When you say "distortion", what exactly do you mean by that? Just mess around with the sound so it doesn't sound like it's original?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  7. groelle

putting a distortion unit on it?!

something like a bitcrusher, a tube amp or something similar will work aswell.

8. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Also, I don't know what daw you're on, but timestretching your samples, adding reverbs and delays, stretching more, messing with the pitch, that sort of thing. You'll get some eeire sounds that way.

9. IbbyDnB

IbbyDnB Member

sabre dose it by takeing say a nasty harsh wind sample, putin it the sampler and playing an octave or 2 lower, and the same as waht the other guys ahve said EQ to taste make it pleaseing to the ear, id say light reverb, maybe some slap back delay, very light distortion to bring out extra harmonix, make the sound richer, and then, id atuomate it thought a filter, bounce and repeate til your happy with it hpoe it helps

10. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

What program are you making it in? (it shouldnt make much difference but it does help to give tips on the programs being used as opposed to just randomly giving advice)
    Anyway...
    All about reverb tbh. I make loads of my airy synths with saw waves - long attack - long release - hi pass it and reverb the mutha fuck out of it.

It tends to work quite well for me anyway. you may have to work on the timing and stuff to make it fit the track/fit it to your own needs to make the synth fit the track.

I'm thinkin about doin some tutorials on dnb synths... not cos i know loads about them, just because there doesnt seem to be any tutes on regular dnb synths/pads instead of bass and drums(which seem to be the main tutorial focuses) what do ya think? not in an arrogant way there just seem to be hundreds of people that want to know more about those sorta synths and there doesnt seem to be much about them.

Safeeeeeeeeeeeeety :teeth:

11. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

To be honest, I am quite near that sound, or atleast I know the fundamentals of making it. It's just my poor sample library :p
    And yeah, synth tutorials would be useful. Synth and (moreso) pads tutorials, there seems to be a giant lack of them on the internet :\

12. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

Yeah man. Thats why I was thinking about it. Not cos I actually know that much about making them but just that no one seems to bother actually making useful info about them.

Especially pads yeah. Hmm might make a few then.