DnB "This is so fuckin' rude." - An intense hour of Neurofunk double drops and teases!

Wage

RiDQU.jpg

I'm all for letting tunes breathe in the mix normally, however for this I tried to do something a bit different. As far as I know, it's not too often you hear Darker/Neurofunk style D&B mixed at pace, so this is my gift to you. xxx

Tracklist:
Jade - No Cure (Black Sun Empire Remix) [Eatbrain]
>>> Jade - No Cure [Citrus]
Cause4Concern - Never Acid Again (Neonlight Remix) [C4C]
Audio - Scanners [Virus]
>>> Silent Witness - Potty Mouth [Dispatch]
Black Sun Empire - Kempi (W/ Nymfo) [BSE]
Neonlight - Frozen Tape [Trust In Music]
Mindscape & Audio - Jarhead [Bad Taste]
Black Sun Empire & Noisia - Feed The Machine [BSE]
Prolix - Funkhole [Commercial Suicide]
Zero Method - Command Four [Red Light]
Mob Tactics - Fugazi [Tactical]
Cause4Concern - Stranglehold [Virus]
Dabs - Lockdown [Red Light]
Optiv & BTK - Mind Over Matter [Frequency]
>>> Noisia - Façade [Ram]
Cause4Concern - Luca (Silent Witness Remix) [C4C]
Audio - Emissions [Virus]
Jade - Lazer Tag [Lifted]
Noisia & The Upbeats - Dustup [Vision]
Optiv & BTK - Zero Hour [Frequency]
Jade & Mindscape - Banshee [Citrus]
Culture Shock - Troglodyte [Ram]
>>> Ulterior Motive - Seven Segments [Subtitles UK]
Ed Rush & Optical - Mystery Machine [Virus]
Audio - Sanctum [Virus]
>>> Alix Perez - Loose Ends (W/ Noisia) [Shogun]
Teddy Killerz - New Drums [Bad Taste]
>>> Sub Focus - Deep Space [Ram]

*Edited tracklist for proper use of ">>>"*

Last edited:
Re: "This is so fuckin' rude." - An intense hour of Neurofunk double drops and teases

i'm quite tempted to give this a whirl, seeing as your a newcomer...I like to see what the noobies have to offer.
I can't imagine this will be a vinyl mix...CD's?

But before I do can I ask one thing...
>>> & (tease) - I would normally consider these to be the same thing in a mix? Let me know.

Otherwise TL looks absolutely rotten, so will get back to you with some feedback.

Re: "This is so fuckin' rude." - An intense hour of Neurofunk double drops and teases

i'm quite tempted to give this a whirl, seeing as your a newcomer...I like to see what the noobies have to offer.
I can't imagine this will be a vinyl mix...CD's?

But before I do can I ask one thing...
>>> & (tease) - I would normally consider these to be the same thing in a mix? Let me know.

Otherwise TL looks absolutely rotten, so will get back to you with some feedback.

Haha, well I thought I might try and introduce myself with a bit of a bang, I hope! Unfortunately not CDs either, I am one of those dastardly laptop DJs using a midi controller with Traktor. (Maybe looking to upgrade to Traktor scratch in the longer term...) I have been trying to make the most of my current (minimal) setup!

Regarding the ">>>", I am aware of its use to denote teases, however since I double dropped so many of the tunes together I didn't know what to put for them, so just used that instead. Of course that left me with the problem of what to do for the actual teases...

Okay awesome! Enjoy!

Regarding the ">>>", I am aware of its use to denote teases, however since I double dropped so many of the tunes together I didn't know what to put for them, so just used that instead. Of course that left me with the problem of what to do for the actual teases...

just use >>> for teases
no need to tell anyone which mixes are double drops.
these days you can assume every mix is a double drop and the actual mix is more important than the track selection. not a hate on you but just dj's these days in general.

i lol'd at the thread title but to be honest it did put me off before i even looked at it.
anyway the tracklist looks cool so i will check the mix when i get a sec dude.
and welcome to the forum, with that taste in music i think you'll fit right in

just use >>> for teases
no need to tell anyone which mixes are double drops.
these days you can assume every mix is a double drop and the actual mix is more important than the track selection. not a hate on you but just dj's these days in general.

i lol'd at the thread title but to be honest it did put me off before i even looked at it.
anyway the tracklist looks cool so i will check the mix when i get a sec dude.
and welcome to the forum, with that taste in music i think you'll fit right in

Cool, I will bear that in mind for future mixes!

Yeah I totally agree, unfortunately there are a lot of wicked mixes out there with great tunes, tightly mixed etc, but have maybe just a date as the title and about 20 plays. As someone who normally posts on /r/dnb on reddit, it's a place where you need to get some positive feedback fairly quickly otherwise you find yourself dropping down the front page, and in the past this sort of method worked. A bit of a cringe, I know, but my mate did actually write that in response.. should have lurked here more instead of DNBA haha. I still had the mindset that I needed some kind of attention grabbing headline, ah well, you live and you learn.

Nice one, cheers.

>> indicates a tune that is only teased in which basically means you will play it out and add the next tune to the tune before. for example (taking very basic one):

DC Breaks - Move Closer
>> Sub Focus - Timewarp
Sigma - The Jungle

so basically what happens is, timewarp is either being doubledropped with move closer or teased in for a certain amount of time and at some point goes back to move closer alone, then the jungle comes in.

hope this helps a bit

>> indicates a tune that is only teased in which basically means you will play it out and add the next tune to the tune before. for example (taking very basic one):

DC Breaks - Move Closer
>> Sub Focus - Timewarp
Sigma - The Jungle

so basically what happens is, timewarp is either being doubledropped with move closer or teased in for a certain amount of time and at some point goes back to move closer alone, then the jungle comes in.

hope this helps a bit

Have edited within the main body of the post now, unfortunately it's too late for the "artwork". Hope people can see past that.

Ok very rarely to I venture back to my full feedbacking ways...but i'm willing to make an exception, as I said before I like seeing what the newcomers have to give

Tracklist:
Jade - No Cure (Black Sun Empire Remix) [Eatbrain] - big intro tune...
>>> Jade - No Cure [Citrus] - bang that came out of nowhere, maybe the mid's could have been reduced to let them sit well together, mixing remixes and originals isn't something I tend to go for but still not bad
Cause4Concern - Never Acid Again (Neonlight Remix) [C4C] - yea not bad mix, maybe work on your EQ's a bit again to get the two tunes to blend rather than sitting on top of each other well. nb though
Audio - Scanners [Virus] - mad stuff...felt like scanners came in out for nowhere but you held together the double well...still couldnt hear much of Never Acid Again, felt like it was slightly overpowered.
>>> Silent Witness - Potty Mouth [Dispatch] - WOAH - thats more fucking like it! these two fitted like a glove. excellent.
Black Sun Empire - Kempi (W/ Nymfo) [BSE] - once again came in out nowhere, but good double...so far this has been very hard hitting, love it. Vibes.
Neonlight - Frozen Tape [Trust In Music] - ok. maybe tweak your treble a little & it may make these mixes fit alot better together, a good blend is sometimes better than a hard hitting doubledrop.
Mindscape & Audio - Jarhead [Bad Taste] - ok, felt like a bit too much was going on, once again a few tweaks of your EQ's could help you no end...
Black Sun Empire & Noisia - Feed The Machine [BSE] - massive tune, think it slightly overpowers Jarhead again... EQ's!
Prolix - Funkhole [Commercial Suicide] - can hear it building up...and didnt feel this one tbh...felt like it lost alot of energy from the big bass of Feed the Machine to this...quite a funky tune when you took FTM out, will have to be bagged :2thumbs:
Zero Method - Command Four [Red Light] - OHHH...these two sat beautifully together, headnoddin stuff - brilliant!
Mob Tactics - Fugazi [Tactical] - good blend again...best 3 tune section so far. big up your socks.
Cause4Concern - Stranglehold [Virus] - big tune - bit too much treble poking through but i'm being picky now...not bad. maybe take a bit of treble out of Fugazi and boom your away.
Dabs - Lockdown [Red Light] - urghhhhhhhhh. big mix, stranglehold pokes through perfectly
Optiv & BTK - Mind Over Matter [Frequency] - yea ok, thought it came it a bit strongly on the double - watch your gains! otherwise nb at all!
>>> Noisia - Façade [Ram] - can tell this will be a good mix, before it comes in...a bam, although it sounds a bit chasey, needs a little more EQ work to make them sit perfectly together, nice little split though and very fast paced.
Cause4Concern - Luca (Silent Witness Remix) [C4C] - must be the first time you haven't gone for the double in a while, didn't feel this tbh bit too much going on for my liking, not a bad mix but just wasn't feeling it. sorry dude.
Audio - Emissions [Virus] - oh the build up to the drop was pretty awesome, but needs EQing better again...nutty, your neighbours must love you!
Jade - Lazer Tag [Lifted] - the buildup to the double was pretty mad again, nb at all.
Noisia & The Upbeats - Dustup [Vision] - yea I can tell I like this mix already, steppy on the buildup using Lazer Tag well...remember to get that treble of Lazer tag down, & get those mids poking through! otherwise this is a really good mix, would have liked you to cut after 16 bars of dustup to the mini breakdown but still a solid mix.
Optiv & BTK - Zero Hour [Frequency] - nb, I'm not sure about it though, im almost wincing...might be because I don't particularly like Zero Hour, pretty average tune for me.
Jade & Mindscape - Banshee [Citrus] - came in out of nowhere. quite a good blend.
Culture Shock - Troglodyte [Ram] - not bad...felt like banshee disappeared really quickly out of the mix, might just be me.
>>> Ulterior Motive - Seven Segments [Subtitles UK] - WOW. seven segments is a personal favourite anyway but this is funky. big mix...well eq'd
Ed Rush & Optical - Mystery Machine [Virus] - not sure about this one...
Audio - Sanctum [Virus] - big tune
>>> Alix Perez - Loose Ends (W/ Noisia) [Shogun] - was waiting for this to come in...not bad, I've heard quite a few mixes in the past with Sanctum that have destroyed the place apart...I didnt think this was bad by any stretch, just not killer. needs more EQing work to make Loose Ends sit well with Sanctum.
Teddy Killerz - New Drums [Bad Taste] Double! needs a bit of work on the mids to get them to sit better but not bad!
>>> Sub Focus - Deep Space [Ram] ok

Not bad Wage! The general feeling I had was maybe to work slightly on your EQ's to get the two tunes your doubling or blending to sit better with each other, whether that be a little less treble, or mid...just practice & see what works! a wise old man once told me less is more, which couldn't be more relevant right now. Certainly no noticeable clangs throughout.

Will be peeping your next mix. Big up

As Ted said, welcome to the forum Wage! Thought I would give this a listen as I was interested by the title, and hopefully you can return the favour on my next mix, as it might be up your street.

Wicked intro with the use of the vocals. That made me smile :) Quite intense right from the off, as mentioned in the title. Wasn't fully aware of all the tunes apart from a few, but I do like quite the producers of the tunes you chose. Mixed very well right the way through & couldn't really tell where some of the tunes double dropped or teased (which has to be a good thing). I enjoyed the mixes either side of Mind over Matter. Pretty relentless & rolling by this point. A tad fast if it has to be mentioned, and I mix quite fast myself occasionally. The Facade tease also seemed a little rushed. Troglodyte - Seven Segments has to be my favourite mix in there. The tunes worked really well together. I liked hearing Mystery Machine when that came in, even if it was a bit different to the majority of the other tunes in the mix. Not heard it before. Sanctum - Loose Ends mix was also pretty wicked. Plus it was pleasant to hear that catchy riff of Deep Space at the end, tingling over the top.

Kept me interested right the way through, and as Mr smith mentioned before...
Certainly no noticeable clangs throughout.

Christ stusmith! Are you feeling alright after all that?
less is more
Indeed, but by the looks of things, more is more :teeth:

Ez Wage, welcome to the forum. There is no going back now my friend....

Will definately peep this. Haha lol at the title, however it did get me to have a look so I guess it worked. Tracklist is fucking mental, will report back in due course man.

Ok very rarely to I venture back to my full feedbacking ways...but i'm willing to make an exception, as I said before I like seeing what the newcomers have to give

Tracklist:
Jade - No Cure (Black Sun Empire Remix) [Eatbrain] - big intro tune...
>>> Jade - No Cure [Citrus] - bang that came out of nowhere, maybe the mid's could have been reduced to let them sit well together, mixing remixes and originals isn't something I tend to go for but still not bad
Cause4Concern - Never Acid Again (Neonlight Remix) [C4C] - yea not bad mix, maybe work on your EQ's a bit again to get the two tunes to blend rather than sitting on top of each other well. nb though
Audio - Scanners [Virus] - mad stuff...felt like scanners came in out for nowhere but you held together the double well...still couldnt hear much of Never Acid Again, felt like it was slightly overpowered.
>>> Silent Witness - Potty Mouth [Dispatch] - WOAH - thats more fucking like it! these two fitted like a glove. excellent.
Black Sun Empire - Kempi (W/ Nymfo) [BSE] - once again came in out nowhere, but good double...so far this has been very hard hitting, love it. Vibes.
Neonlight - Frozen Tape [Trust In Music] - ok. maybe tweak your treble a little & it may make these mixes fit alot better together, a good blend is sometimes better than a hard hitting doubledrop.
Mindscape & Audio - Jarhead [Bad Taste] - ok, felt like a bit too much was going on, once again a few tweaks of your EQ's could help you no end...
Black Sun Empire & Noisia - Feed The Machine [BSE] - massive tune, think it slightly overpowers Jarhead again... EQ's!
Prolix - Funkhole [Commercial Suicide] - can hear it building up...and didnt feel this one tbh...felt like it lost alot of energy from the big bass of Feed the Machine to this...quite a funky tune when you took FTM out, will have to be bagged :2thumbs:
Zero Method - Command Four [Red Light] - OHHH...these two sat beautifully together, headnoddin stuff - brilliant!
Mob Tactics - Fugazi [Tactical] - good blend again...best 3 tune section so far. big up your socks.
Cause4Concern - Stranglehold [Virus] - big tune - bit too much treble poking through but i'm being picky now...not bad. maybe take a bit of treble out of Fugazi and boom your away.
Dabs - Lockdown [Red Light] - urghhhhhhhhh. big mix, stranglehold pokes through perfectly
Optiv & BTK - Mind Over Matter [Frequency] - yea ok, thought it came it a bit strongly on the double - watch your gains! otherwise nb at all!
>>> Noisia - Façade [Ram] - can tell this will be a good mix, before it comes in...a bam, although it sounds a bit chasey, needs a little more EQ work to make them sit perfectly together, nice little split though and very fast paced.
Cause4Concern - Luca (Silent Witness Remix) [C4C] - must be the first time you haven't gone for the double in a while, didn't feel this tbh bit too much going on for my liking, not a bad mix but just wasn't feeling it. sorry dude.
Audio - Emissions [Virus] - oh the build up to the drop was pretty awesome, but needs EQing better again...nutty, your neighbours must love you!
Jade - Lazer Tag [Lifted] - the buildup to the double was pretty mad again, nb at all.
Noisia & The Upbeats - Dustup [Vision] - yea I can tell I like this mix already, steppy on the buildup using Lazer Tag well...remember to get that treble of Lazer tag down, & get those mids poking through! otherwise this is a really good mix, would have liked you to cut after 16 bars of dustup to the mini breakdown but still a solid mix.
Optiv & BTK - Zero Hour [Frequency] - nb, I'm not sure about it though, im almost wincing...might be because I don't particularly like Zero Hour, pretty average tune for me.
Jade & Mindscape - Banshee [Citrus] - came in out of nowhere. quite a good blend.
Culture Shock - Troglodyte [Ram] - not bad...felt like banshee disappeared really quickly out of the mix, might just be me.
>>> Ulterior Motive - Seven Segments [Subtitles UK] - WOW. seven segments is a personal favourite anyway but this is funky. big mix...well eq'd
Ed Rush & Optical - Mystery Machine [Virus] - not sure about this one...
Audio - Sanctum [Virus] - big tune
>>> Alix Perez - Loose Ends (W/ Noisia) [Shogun] - was waiting for this to come in...not bad, I've heard quite a few mixes in the past with Sanctum that have destroyed the place apart...I didnt think this was bad by any stretch, just not killer. needs more EQing work to make Loose Ends sit well with Sanctum.
Teddy Killerz - New Drums [Bad Taste] Double! needs a bit of work on the mids to get them to sit better but not bad!
>>> Sub Focus - Deep Space [Ram] ok

Not bad Wage! The general feeling I had was maybe to work slightly on your EQ's to get the two tunes your doubling or blending to sit better with each other, whether that be a little less treble, or mid...just practice & see what works! a wise old man once told me less is more, which couldn't be more relevant right now. Certainly no noticeable clangs throughout.

Will be peeping your next mix. Big up

Ah excellent, this sort of feedback is exactly what I needed, hugely appreciated. Obviously it's nice hearing people tell you how filthy they found it or whatnot, but it doesn't help you get any better. It probably is time I upgraded from desktop speakers and made my EQing more precise, #1 priority. They're hardly ideal- what sounds good out of them sounds super dodgy once you give it a playback through headphones. Of course if you're recording it's even trickier because ideally you'd leave the EQs flat to get the original levels of a tune (when it's playing on its own), but for my own ears (through the speakers) the EQs need to be set up with slightly less bass and treble, and more mids. So in the mix, I'm not strictly guessing, but it is more a kind of broader EQing i.e. bassline out, too much treble, a little tweak here and there but essentially I'd be assuming things I can't know, if I do much more. I hope I'm making some kind of sense?

Anyway, now these issues have been bought up they seem painfully noticeable! Got to keep striving for that perfect mix!

And yes, my close Uni hallmates (excluding my friends) don't particularly love me. Was given 2 hours of cleaning toilets at 7am as punishment from the Deans for playing D&B at 9pm on a Friday.(!!) They told me the porters could hear it from the lodge; bullshit! I couldn't hear it from the corridor!

Thanks again, glad you enjoyed it (in parts!), haha. Noice one. Great advert for dnbforum, I must say. 10/10 would post a mix up again.

Great job, THX!

Back
Top Bottom