This "EDM" thing

Rich Pitchshift

VIP Junglist
"Sounds like Optimus Prime & Bumble Bee got together and fucked and had a baby" :tosser:

EDM / Bass Music... annoying term coined by the Americans to make it sound new.

Rusket

Mix an blend
VIP Junglist
I was wondering, if someone is playing an electric guitar and people are dancing to it...is this EDM?

What a ridiculous term.

evermind

VIP Junglist
there are loads of genres with percussions and bass elements. You say electric guitar with dancing people to it is not EDM. I'm telling you, let's say Rock music - is not drum & bass, even though it contains these two elements :confused: Get where I'm going? Stupid arguing about this though:)

Rusket

Mix an blend
VIP Junglist
there are loads of genres with percussions and bass elements. You say electric guitar with dancing people to it is not EDM. I'm telling you, let's say Rock music - is not drum & bass, even though it contains these two elements :confused: Get where I'm going? Stupid arguing about this though:)
Yeah I sort of see what you mean. But I was saying by definition, if someone is dancing to music that is coming from an electronic instrument, then surely that music is EDM? I was trying to show how stupid categorising music is. Music is just fucking music, if the sound hits my eardrums and I like what I hear then it's music to me and that's all that matters :).

DeeGun

Notable Member
VIP Junglist
So, solo gigs are more traditional DJ sets? No "pressing play"?

You're never just pressing play. If you're a guy in a cube with a mask on, you can press play. Deadmau5 also said himself he's not a DJ -- don't talk about stuff you don't know about. I don't know shit about LED walls and giant mouse heads; I can't judge it. But if you put four CD players in front of me or [Sebastian Ingrosso] or even Skrillex, we've been DJ'ing for so long, we can do a lot of things with those CD players.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...au5-dont-talk-about-stuff-you-dont-know-about

I wonder what happens if you put 1210s in front of him.