This buzzing sound effect on drums sometimes

Cat Gas

Aka Basis
VIP Junglist
I originally thought it could be done with a bandpass or band reject, but apparently not.
heres an example:

from about 58 seconds onwards:

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like Phasing/Flange to me, lots of ways to do it, phaser or Flange plugin being the first obvious choice, you can also do it by changing the tracking by a few miliseconds on one of the L or R channels, my favorite way is to use a filter delay, with ms settings rather than quantized...experiment and you'll find what your looking for, automation and/or LFO will give you best effect

oh ok....
Also what's the difference between a phaser and flanger?
The only thing I can tell is that a flanger is slightly more easy to hear the effects of

oh ok....
Also what's the difference between a phaser and flanger?
The only thing I can tell is that a flanger is slightly more easy to hear the effects of

they both work in similar ways, by atering the tracking of a sound and then mixing it with the original source, the 'original flange' was created by lightly touching one of the reels of tape in the studio so it lagged behind the other one (2 copies of the same sound), i think it was discoverd by accident...flange was born

phasers are slightly more complicated, they use filters across diffrent bandwidths, each filter can push or pull the signal to create the delay and introduce phase diffrences, for eg you might have mid-range being pulled back 1ms (or wavelength) and hi-freqz pushing forward the same, the filters are often coupled with an LFO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom