Thinking about getting a load of new equipment, but not sure where to start.

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by MisterApe, May 5, 2012.

1. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Summer is upon us, I have money to spend! :D
    So figured I may as well invest it properly, but I'd love to get some advice because I honestly have no idea where to start.

My idea right now is wait a bit longer till Apple refreshes the iMac line first, purely because I feel comfortable using OS X, although building a windows box would be far more powerful, so a bit of a trade off.

If it's of any importance, I primarily use Ableton.

-21.5" iMac (With about 32GB of ram crammed in that I still have laying around.)
    -Pair of KRK Rokit 8's

....And this is the part where I'm stuck, I have absolutely no idea which Audio Interface to get, and maybe a decent keyboard to go with it or what else would be a smart idea.

Budget would be around 2500 Euros, any help would be appreciated :).

2. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

not necessarily...

also get the fastest processor that you can (y)

test out the Mackie hr824's and if you can compare them with the KRK's...

Apogee Duet 2

(y)

could also look into an M-Audio trigger finger or an MPD18 or something similar for laying down MIDI drum patterns...

and also get Logic Pro (if you haven't got it already), you can download it from the App Store for £140, it's an absolute bargain TBH.

/thread?

3. neddez

neddez Member

perhaps not, but surely £ for £ any non-Mac will offer better performance

and if im right in saying that, then why not build your own but make sure you get a motherboard that supports Mac OSX?

4. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Ew, logic :(, I played with it before, but it's just not Ableton.
    And a hackintosh is a good idea financially (Atleast it was last time I constructed one.), but one of other reasons why I'm looking for an iMac is to clean up some space too, just not really sure if there'd be any serious driver errors.

Anyone on the forum got experience with it? =o

And thanks for the advice :), I'll have a look for what you mentioned tomorrow.

5. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

i wouldnt start in the waffle section thats for suree!! :p good luck!

6. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

I wasn't sure if hardware related things also belonged in the production section :p.

7. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

don't think you can make a hackintosh with OSX Lion!? not too sure tbh... you'd have to look into that...

fair... different strokes for different folks! i can't stand Reason or Ableton at all...

oh yeah, i'd recommend you have a look at using Logic or Pro Tools for mixing down your tracks compared to Ableton mate ;)

no problem, if i think of anything else i'll post it in here.

also obv don't rush into buying anything (but get some HD25 mrk2's if you haven't got them already!) :2thumbs:

8. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Tbh, I'd rather get something that lasts a long time and I'm happy with, than what I'd be replacing after a while D:
    The monitors seem to be the most annoying choice in that regard.

(HD25's <3333)

9. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

forgot to say that you should also look at improving the acoustics of your studio/bedroom/wherever the fuck you are producing, you could have the best monitors available but they would be ruined by the shit acoustics of the room...

10. neddez

neddez Member

thats what i reckon. that's why i bought hr824 mk2s off the bat.

11. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

I'm moving into a larger room in a month or so, I'm assuming if there's less distance to travel to the walls the sound is going to bounce all over?

Edit:
    What makes the hr824's better than the KRK's though?

12. neddez

neddez Member

yes, the distance from the walls is a factor. other factors are the wall thickness, what the monitors are sitting on, bookcases, the presence of windows etc. ideally you want a really physically solid room so that things aren't going to resonate.

...but at the same time a lot of 'successful' producers seem to get by without much acoustic treatment etc. so its not simply a case of, be in a good acoustic environment or your music will be shit

im sure im not getting the most out of my hr824 mk2s because they are positioned poorly in a shit room. they sound great in the mids/highs but they lack the low end, so when i wanna hear how the bass sounds i have to go stand in the corner where the low end is louder :p

dunno, i bought the 824s because i decided that most dnb producers who id like to emulate use them.

just found this on google though:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/articles/krkrokit.htm

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  13. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

...you shouldn't have to do that. you might wanna have a look at getting corner traps installed.

---------- Post added at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was at 00:36 ----------

no, but being in a good acoustic environment with 'worse' monitors that you know inside out will probably make your tunes sound better

---------- Post added at 00:40 ---------- Previous post was at 00:37 ----------

you should also get them pointing to a sweet spot at head height, triangle shape with your ears at the tip if you know what i mean?

edit:
    [​IMG]

this sort of shit

14. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Hmmm, that should be interesting.
    I tend to move around a lot at my desk due to multiple screens even when I'm working in Ableton, didn't think where you were at in a room was going to affect the quality that much.

15. neddez

neddez Member

would but im moving out soon so i cba

16. H*product

H*product Heavyweight product

The mackies are better than the krks, I'd try and have a listen to the MSP7s as well though. I find the mackies lack detail in the high mids and this often translates to problems with the mix's clarity. although saying this you can get a good mix out of anything as long as you know what your doing it'l be fine.

as for all the acoustics stuff just have a little trawl of gearslutz and that'l help you get the best out of your mixing space.

as for soundcards it completely depends on what you want from it. Apogee duet2 is a proper badboy soundcard as long as it's got all the ins/outs you need. I rock an RME multiface (PCI) and the babyface is a good alternative to the duet if you need more ins/outs. if your on a budget then the focusrite stuffs fine.

there's my 2p hope its some help

17. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

If you've got 2500 to spend i would be looking at some Mackies / Adams monitor wise really. I personally don't really like the sound of Rokits and there are much better monitors around if you can afford it.

Some acoustic treatment is probably a good idea as has been said, some panels for first reflections and bass traps is probably easiest and most helpful.

I recently bought a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 and am really happy with it so far as an interface.

18. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

I'm getting the feeling I have to up my budget a little :'), mind you I will also have to sleep in this room.

Got to listen to the rokit 5, 6 and 8 today.
    I noticed the 5 just isn't powerful enough and the 8 has too much bass in it I think when comparing all 3. 6 was kind of.. bleh.

Shame though, they look so pretty :(.

19. H*product

H*product Heavyweight product

Yea like saint said steer away from the rockets. Mackies and adams are kind of bedroom staples although with speaker you want to spend as much as you can afford really. I've got some HR624s at home and they're alright for the money, I think the 8's would be overkill in my bedroom.

The focal CMS 65s and yamaha MSP7s are quite nice as well although I think they're a bit more expensive.

Let us know how you get on.

20. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

These are meant to be really good. I'm hopefully going to check some of these out alongside the Event 20/20 BAS soon.

To be honest i'd be asking this on gearslutz or something where they really know their hardware.