think its time...

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
I went over to the darkside..

Buying tunes every month is skinting me out at the moment, also starting to do a bit more djing-wise so think its time i moved with the times and enable myself to get any tunes easilly. decision i need to make is between traktor/serato or 2cdj's to add my to set up. Only problem with CDJ's i know ill contuinue to just buy vinyl. Which i will do but on a much lesser scale.. i.e only tunes that really stand out to me.

any advice?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
with you 100% on this.

been looking and toying with SL3 since the turn of the year.
CDJ's have tempted me just based on when I play @ origin every now and again (they have 800's which aren't too bad)

I'm still in limbo personally, going to have to be done soon though.

with you 100% on this.

been looking and toying with SL3 since the turn of the year.
CDJ's have tempted me just based on when I play @ origin every now and again (they have 800's which aren't too bad)

I'm still in limbo personally, going to have to be done soon though.

Just cant see myself turning up to play out and doing the whole unplugging/plugging in of serato etc.. iv had people play before me who have started unplugging things and cut the music out. but i guess eventually most good promoters will have it just so u plug in your lappy and away u go?

Just cant see myself turning up to play out and doing the whole unplugging/plugging in of serato etc.. iv had people play before me who have started unplugging things and cut the music out. but i guess eventually most good promoters will have it just so u plug in your lappy and away u go?

definitely...haven't played out much, but had a guy one who played a set after me on serato and had all the drama of plugging in over the last couple of tunes of my set...annoying.

I would still love to keep playing vinyl, maybe even 1 cd 1 vinyl deck, its just taking the leap tbh tone.

Have you started this all genre night you posted yet? Will the other dj's be on serato or cd's?

The set up we will have in april is 2 cdj 800 and 2 x technics. so serato etc will be down to whoever we get in to play. i still think id prefer the searching for cd's through a folder than scrolling through a laptop. Think its because i enjoy having to do it quick enough to try for the double!

id go for 2 cdjs too add to my setup
already did but i got 3 cdjs now and 1 turntable just so i can play a bit of vinyl

The set up we will have in april is 2 cdj 800 and 2 x technics. so serato etc will be down to whoever we get in to play. i still think id prefer the searching for cd's through a folder than scrolling through a laptop. Think its because i enjoy having to do it quick enough to try for the double!

Know exactly what you mean.
gone are the days of looking at the grooves of a record thinking "this could make a nice double!" all off the cuff business, laptops take away a huge factor of mixing imo.

if I was you I would burn some cd's, no massive cost required & you can pick up some newer tunes for cheaper than vinyl...win win.

id go for 2 cdjs too add to my setup
already did but i got 3 cdjs now and 1 turntable just so i can play a bit of vinyl

bit more pricey, i just worry ill spend a decent amount of cash on som epioneers then just carry on using vinyl!

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Know exactly what you mean.
gone are the days of looking at the grooves of a record thinking "this could make a nice double!" all off the cuff business, laptops take away a huge factor of mixing imo.

if I was you I would burn some cd's, no massive cost required & you can pick up some newer tunes for cheaper than vinyl...win win.

Yeah, think it will suit me a bit better

trust me once u got cdjs u will use them alot
i had 2 turntables an 1 cdj first then i ended up with 1 turntable
so much easier and cheaper to buy some tunes online and burn a cd
still nice to have a turntable tho but i kinda only use it for teases now

cdjs! really annoying to have to use a laptop to play tunes..

and you WILL use them as marlok said. i wouldnt buy pioneers for home use tho. have a look at the numark ndx range, SOLID decks.

and dont worry about playing out on pioneers - dead easy.

cdjs! really annoying to have to use a laptop to play tunes..

and you WILL use them as marlok said. i wouldnt buy pioneers for home use tho. have a look at the numark ndx range, SOLID decks.

and dont worry about playing out on pioneers - dead easy.

Thanks mate, cheers for the advise.

I'm going to have to do this as well although I'm putting it off for as long as I can. The startup cost of getting CDJs is enough to keep it at bay for now, but it's going to be inevitable. I was tempted by Serato, but as it was said above, I hate the idea of fraggling out before a set wondering why the hell I can't hear channel 1 in my headphones as I've seen so many DJs doing, and the whole using a "search" button. Takes the romance out of mixing IMO. All about frantically looking for the right tune, be it in a box or wallet.

No respect for small time DJ's that turn up 5 mins before their set and unplug half the mixer to get their serato/traktor setup. Its unprofessional.

If youre gonna use it, get there early and setup when youre not in anyone's way

As far as preferences, do whatever. Its apples and oranges. Traktor DVS is my poison, with a sprinkling of vinyl inbetween. Bear in mind that pretty much every decent dnb night will most likely have techs though.

The beauty of DVS is you can spin on anything you want, or nothing if theyre all fooked! Use a midi controller as backup.

That is unless your lappy dies a death . . .

only thing stopping me getting a DVS system is a decent laptop :-/

Iv got a Dell netbook but its resolution is too small for serato and traktor :D

I'm going to have to do this as well although I'm putting it off for as long as I can. The startup cost of getting CDJs is enough to keep it at bay for now, but it's going to be inevitable. I was tempted by Serato, but as it was said above, I hate the idea of fraggling out before a set wondering why the hell I can't hear channel 1 in my headphones as I've seen so many DJs doing, and the whole using a "search" button. Takes the romance out of mixing IMO. All about frantically looking for the right tune, be it in a box or wallet.

think this is the selling point for me tbh

only thing stopping me getting a DVS system is a decent laptop :-/

Iv got a Dell netbook but its resolution is too small for serato and traktor :D

Youre used to spinning without it yeah? So why would you need a decent resolution? You wont even need to look at it.

the only thing that would worry me about using a DVS is if my laptop fucked up when playing out...

Back
Top Bottom