DnB Themis (D'n'B)

It sounds a bit messy. Not sure what direction you kinda trying to go with it?? maybe towards the sorta Limewax sound maybe?? not sure. But if so... then I suppose the messyness of the drums is ok. My initial thought is that its hard to get a groove from it. End of the day dnb is for dancing... and if theres no groove or the groove is hard to pick up... then its a bit pointless in my opinion. Is that the first drop at 24 seconds?? if so... make it a bit more obvious.... it almost sounds as though its still building up to something... but then 2 minutes later its still building. The drop at 2:40 is good... again.... id say that making the beats a bit more rythmic... make a groove... id also push this drop more towards the start of the tune. The build up to its nice and works well.... maybe make this the intro??

Also... you dont necesserally need good monitors to make a well balanced sounding tune.... reference with headphones... preferably headphoen you usually listen to other stuff with.... ie... ipod headphoens and get your tune sounding the 'same' as some others. Maybe find a tune you like.... and cross reference the sounds while your producing. Maybe even try to replicate the tune.... just so you get an understanding of levels etc.

Keep them coming mate.

This needs alot of work im sorry to say, the mixdown is awful. And the high pitched riff is ear bleeding material. Like rocksteady has already mentioned, there doesnt seem to be any structure to it, or groove.

I really like the experimentalism and I encourage that but I have to completely agree with the above made comments, lack of structure, earbleeding high pitched sounds, bad mixdown etc.

Thanks for the feedback all. The point about needing a clearer groove is well-received. And trying to listen more objectively, I can see everyone's point about the mixing. I have some high-end earbuds...maybe those will be more useful than my "gaming" sound system.

I think I may just leave this one and move on, actually. Still, good advice from everyone for me to keep in mind going forward.

Thanks for the feedback all. The point about needing a clearer groove is well-received. And trying to listen more objectively, I can see everyone's point about the mixing. I have some high-end earbuds...maybe those will be more useful than my "gaming" sound system.

I think I may just leave this one and move on, actually. Still, good advice from everyone for me to keep in mind going forward.

Try and do what i said. Find a tune you like.... and replicate it. Its the fastest way to learn in my experience. Listen for all the different sounds... listen to the structure... etc etc.... and try and remake it. It will never sound the same. By is a good exercise.

drum pattern before 2:20 all sounds like an intro buildup. it'd probably be easier to mix if you turned everything except the kick and snare down a little and then made sure nothing was peaking and boosted the master volume or used a mastering plugin

you'd be amazed at what fabfilter limiter can do. set it to "punchy" and turn the gain up. set it on the drum bus. http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-l-brickwall-limiter-plug-in

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom