THE WIP THREAD

@Stompz , loving Radio Chatter. Same sentiments as M&B. Finish this track please.

Don't know if this counts as a WIP because I finished the arrangement, and its about 95% done. Any feedback would be great though!

Nice vibe man. Hazy days business. Love the piano (what did you use?). I think the very top end has slightly too much "sizzle" if you know what I mean. Maybe drop the volume 0.5db. Great, warm low end. I'd actually buy it on vinyl as it is tbh.

Early days, 64 bars from me. Switch up halfway through. Just drums and unfinished bassline. Not sure if it's good enough to continue with or that my herbs make it sound better than it is.

Last edited:
cheers thanks for the input! @Brex

Love the piano (what did you use?).

Sampled from a contemporary classical pianist from Norway (I think Norway... one of the scandinavian countries anyway.) Been inspired by LSB, Calibre, and Spectrasoul lately just to take less time trying to write my own music, and spend (literally) days listening to other music for samples! Its god damn time consuming!

Started some DNB after a long, long time of making lo-fi hip hop stuff only. I did jump up tunes a lot in the past, this one seems to come out a little more junglist. don't know exactly where to go with it, especially the intro sounds very empty, feedback appreciated. :)

like the old school vibe on this and I'm liking the bass. can't see much to criticise as I'm still new but sounds good

heres one i just started, still learning the ropes as I'm currently in a production course

like the old school vibe on this and I'm liking the bass. can't see much to criticise as I'm still new but sounds good

heres one i just started, still learning the ropes as I'm currently in a production course

sounds are fairly clean, the mix aint bad! all i can really give you is keep at it put a lot of time into music, its a very satisfying thing to do when it gets right and unlike stuff say, some sports, it takes a hell of a lot longer to forget what youve learnt if forget it at all

new rough idea!

https://clyp.it/r0obbcub

sounds are fairly clean, the mix aint bad! all i can really give you is keep at it put a lot of time into music, its a very satisfying thing to do when it gets right and unlike stuff say, some sports, it takes a hell of a lot longer to forget what youve learnt if forget it at all

new rough idea!

https://clyp.it/r0obbcub

That's something wore pursuing. Great energy. Maybe thicken up the snare a little bit, just a touch of punch needed to it. If you remember, send me a message when it's finished. I like it.

First time trying something liquid/melodical/musical rather than just trying to get some fat drums and a hench bassline.

That's something wore pursuing. Great energy. Maybe thicken up the snare a little bit, just a touch of punch needed to it. If you remember, send me a message when it's finished. I like it.

First time trying something liquid/melodical/musical rather than just trying to get some fat drums and a hench bassline.

Good work mate, this is nice.

maybe try and add some crashes symbols and white noise/risers into the background. It has potential.

the mids on the bassline at 2:00 sounds completely off imo, worth tweaking that

Snare is good but maybe some more high end so it competes with the hats. either that or turn down the hats a bit maybe

Also in terms of composition try and tail it off in the middle, build it up and drop it again. I feel like it's too much at the same level at the moment. some variation would go a long way.

Big thanks man! Ill give you a sc link and possible download when its done, and i will deffianlty be finishing this piece ive litterley just been really busy out of nowhere! Yeah man i do see that with the drums i kinda just got used to it, you see ive been playing with new techniques where you make a a whole drum loop as normal with perc ride and many elements, then you bounce it and pitch it up like an octave real time, then you layer back kicks and snares and what not back in to it, i also kept the original drum loop i made at low volume aswell as pitching that down an octave and have that really quiet, over kill? i dont think so... not to mention the 3 bus' its all going through xD maybe something i could make a vid about not sure if people would watch it? But obv as the main drum carry is pitch up'd with teh snare.. so the 'punch is happeneing much higher than around 200, i think around 400, the real time pitch makes thing kinda saggy, so im struggling to get another snare at that exact hz to go with it, i pitched another one but obv its either really short and too snappy if done in kontakt,.. or its saggy with the real time ting (waves sound shifter pitch) btw i highly recommend that waves very much i use it on a lot of things its a great creative way of doing things!

Last edited:
@mugatu am also new to this, so hard to give detailed feedback. I feel the drums are a little samey, and could do with a bit of a switch up here and there. Good effort though.

Here is my first tune im happy with - not done yet though - would love some more technical detailed feedback. Am happy to return the favour

Its something chilled and 'musical', or tries to be

Last edited:
@mugatu am also new to this, so hard to give detailed feedback. I feel the drums are a little samey, and could do with a bit of a switch up here and there. Good effort though.

Here is my first tune im happy with - not done yet though - would love some more technical detailed feedback. Am happy to return the favour

Its something chilled and 'musical', or tries to be

Not a bad tune at all. I like the vibe through the whole track. The biggest thing that stood out to me is that the snare is a little loud. Maybe try dropping it a db or two, just so it fits in with the rest of the track instead of sanding out so much, but not too much so the snare still sounds snappy. one other thing, try varying up the melodic bits a little more. For example, the bell loop that comes in around 1:30 is really repetitive. Just try making the loop longer with more variation. Something I like to do is have one part of the melody loop constantly(Generally like 8-16 bars for me, 8 works if you don't want to make it too complex), then add another sequence over it with the same synth in a higher octave that doesn't repeat for the next 8-16 bars, then loop the whole thing, or you can just make variations to the same loop over time. Either way it keeps it interesting and gives it a little more depth. But anyway, nice job so far.

This is is a track i started some months ago but never got around to finishing. I was working on it today and made some changes. Arrangement wise its pretty much done, but i was hoping to get some opinions on the mix. Its a little different and i guess you couldnt really call it Drum&Bass, idk what it is really haha. It's at 100bpm. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. All input is welcome, arrangement and mix wise.

Drums seem a little lost in the mix, especially the snare The synth is a little overpowering. I think with a more punch and clarity on the drums this could be quite an interesting track, Drop it down to 85ish BPM and it could be dropped into a dnb mix for a bit of a tempo and style switch up.

Something new, no second drop yet. Also, haven't been able to check it on my big speakers yet so the lower frequencies might need to some work. Currently only been worked on visually using SPAN (my headphones are gash).

So I have this tune that I'm working on... right now I've only rendered all that I have up until the drop. I need ideas on variating the drums at the mid point of the intro (0:22 secs) and introducing a slow kind of menacing bass but I'm really stuck for ideas.

Also any ideas on how I can improve the breakdown section before the drop will hit... I'm not sure if I like the approach of using the same pads for the breakdown as I did for the intro.

I am pretty happy with how fucking evil the vocal sounds though.

Last edited:
So I have this tune that I'm working on... right now I've only rendered all that I have up until the drop. I need ideas on variating the drums at the mid point of the intro (0:22 secs) and introducing a slow kind of menacing bass but I'm really stuck for ideas.

Also any ideas on how I can improve the breakdown section before the drop will hit... I'm not sure if I like the approach of using the same pads for the breakdown as I did for the intro.

I am pretty happy with how fucking evil the vocal sounds though.

maybe a deeper stab bass but with some mid to high grit just as a follower, make it sub/lows oriented. well thats what i would do, its all good so far though man

something new im working on
https://clyp.it/3fnjvcj4
i layered like, loads of processed instances of massive and later on a perc hits at the same time, sounds a bit like an organ, track entitled 'organ grinder' maybe?
cheers

maybe a deeper stab bass but with some mid to high grit just as a follower, make it sub/lows oriented. well thats what i would do, its all good so far though man

i layered like, loads of processed instances of massive and later on a perc hits at the same time, sounds a bit like an organ, track entitled 'organ grinder' maybe?
cheers

sounds really good mate one thing i noticed might be just me but the volume difference from your intro/build up to your drop is quite big, i had to adjust my speakers once the dong dropped so could do with a little more volume to start but that could just be me. otherwise sounding good

sounds really good mate one thing i noticed might be just me but the volume difference from your intro/build up to your drop is quite big, i had to adjust my speakers once the dong dropped so could do with a little more volume to start but that could just be me. otherwise sounding good

thanks man, yeah that is a noticeable thing, ive automated the output limiter ill just add some more threshold to start

cheers

Bruhh, this is a wicked start! I recon you could wind the reverb back on the drums a little bit, reduce the decay maybe, or put an envelope on the bus and bring that in too if you wana keep a big verb sound with less tail, its all a bit splashy, eq out the tops of reverb etc. Get them drums tighter then post again (y)

Bruhh, this is a wicked start! I recon you could wind the reverb back on the drums a little bit, reduce the decay maybe, or put an envelope on the bus and bring that in too if you wana keep a big verb sound with less tail, its all a bit splashy, eq out the tops of reverb etc. Get them drums tighter then post again (y)

yo thanks man. i will have a go at it, ive just got some new krk 8400's aswell as the 6400 were just recked, im getting better sounds and mix out of these the stereo and all round imaging is bar none..

cheers

That's sounding fucking heavy man. Those kicks are thumpy as balls. 1:20 to 1:27ish, great bass work. Not really sure what more to say. I'd play it out as it is!

Still working on this one and still not sure if it's worth continuing with.

Back
Top Bottom