THE WIP THREAD

Awesome man, lead reminds me a bit of the Doom soundtrack, but I guess you're planing on beefing that up at some point. The break got me bouncing, great work on that, loving the presence of the snare.

Funny you should mention rock-sounding leads, here's my WIP, considering scrapping the trancey synth:

I really like the drum pattern, yeah scrap the synth but replace it wit some neuto-techy leady thingy ... you know what i meany? ...

The kick and the snare are awesome my friend, I really like that punch!

The bass could be proccesed better tho.. but overall i think it's a good start dude!

Okey so i havent had to work with my stuff for a while and i just started finnishing a track i started 3 weeks ago but i lost the flow :,(
I really need some points in the right direction concerning the mastering/eq'ing the over all sound quality.

[/QUOTE]

It is the first time I am posting here. I thought I share this. Made in 30 mins with a bad mix and master.

I know I need a better riser, better mix and master, and more variation. But do tell me what you think lads thanks ! :)

Sounding nice mate, the basslines rolls really nicely, decent melody and vox. Snare vits really well with this sort of tune. Criticism-wise, you pretty much said it yourself. Variation and mix. I think some soft lo percussion in the drum pattern would fit really nicely :)

Heres mine, I honestly have no fucking clue how this came about. It was initially some dub-phizix inspired tune but i just ended up fucking around with the synths.
soundcloud.com/caaza/k2-1/s-j3JyG

Haha cool synth Caaza, maybe add a lead-layer to the melody? Just that it sounds a little bit "bigger". And as the drums and rhythm are no standard which is cool too, maybe they just need some more groove? Ghost-snares or drums or something like that.

So here is a test of mine, wanted some dark atmospheric track, don't know if it's "full" enough... and I don't know if I like the choir in the end and so on... hmmm.

Resurrecting this thread cause for once I'm actually making dnb and I've been fiddling for ages but it's still not quite how I like it. haven't made build yet, but it's going to be big and cinematic and impressive...

www.soundcloud.com/scrapheaper/wip1-leviathan/s-hextx

@melophobie I'm mostly liking your track, sound design is v. nice. I think you should keep the choir personally but fewer kicks might help it groove better. Also the section between the snare coming in and the drop is a bit weak and kinda spoils the vibe from the first part, maybe keep going with the original build for a bit longer then bring drums in at the drop.

Tune is sounding quite solid. One thing that I would recommend you to do is EQ the sub so that all of the notes played are equally loud. Right now it kind of fluctuates a little too much IMO. You could also try slapping a limiter or some distortion on the sub group and play with ze threshold. I imagine it could sound pretty good :). Cheers!

Here's a new idea by me. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Tune is sounding quite solid. One thing that I would recommend you to do is EQ the sub so that all of the notes played are equally loud. Right now it kind of fluctuates a little too much IMO. You could also try slapping a limiter or some distortion on the sub group and play with ze threshold. I imagine it could sound pretty good :). Cheers!

Here's a new idea by me. Any thoughts?

Everything sounds well EQd and the attention to variation is top. Low end sounds tight but on my setup the kick sounds a teensy bit forward in the mix. Maybe some light jungle style shakers could spice it up further down the line? Really digging it though. I'd buy it as it is.

Here's something from me. I'm really struggling to figure out if this is even remotely good or if it's just because I made it. Crap speakers, terrible room, still new to this, all the other excuses.

Everything sounds well EQd and the attention to variation is top. Low end sounds tight but on my setup the kick sounds a teensy bit forward in the mix. Maybe some light jungle style shakers could spice it up further down the line? Really digging it though. I'd buy it as it is.

Here's something from me. I'm really struggling to figure out if this is even remotely good or if it's just because I made it. Crap speakers, terrible room, still new to this, all the other excuses.

First I wanna say that the rhythm is quite cool, the drumpattern gives a nice groove to it. But overall it sounds quite cluttered to be honest. Sub is really lacking, there's way too much reverb on elements. The overall mix sounds quite loose, drums are too loud and they have too sharp transients which make them really pop out (you don't want that). Hats sound quite nice though. That being said, I think that's great that you try to make tunes. It's possible to get out quite decent mixes when you get used to your room and speakers. So... keep working on it! And reference on different systems (y). Also, thanks for feedback! I will look into those shakers and recheck the overall mix on my monitors.

First I wanna say that the rhythm is quite cool, the drumpattern gives a nice groove to it. But overall it sounds quite cluttered to be honest. Sub is really lacking, there's way too much reverb on elements. The overall mix sounds quite loose, drums are too loud and they have too sharp transients which make them really pop out (you don't want that). Hats sound quite nice though. That being said, I think that's great that you try to make tunes. It's possible to get out quite decent mixes when you get used to your room and speakers. So... keep working on it! And reference on different systems (y). Also, thanks for feedback! I will look into those shakers and recheck the overall mix on my monitors.

Cheers man. This production shit is fucking hard. I have zero musical knowledge and starting to think I should probably just stick to mixing :teeth: As for checking your overall mix, you've heard what my ears think are ok so take my opinion with a pinch (heap) of salt.

The production part is quite hard yeah and it will take a lot of sleepless nights and coffeebreaks and whatnot to get to the point where you don't hate something in the morning which you created last night. :P Also if you're using FL Studio then I think you should definitely read it's manual.. There's a lot of good stuff there :) For example I learned how to properly use... Fruity Peak Controller, which is one of my most used plugins now. Every project of mine has at least 3-4 instances of it. And regarding my mix, all feedback about it is good IMO!

Meiosis - nice work... I just checked out your SC - you really have some creative chops. I hope you stick with it and finish out some of those ideas too.. some really good stuff, that I would play out if I had full tracks.

A wip>
thnx mate! most of the time I am not so sure about my own stuff.. and finishing stuff becomes hard if most of the time you open a project you made earlier sounds shite :p

your wip sounds nice :D nice freaky synth :D snare could maybe use a litttle more oomph

Really like this
Maybe needs a very glittery ride on the drums, something that slinks in and out to give it a more background groove. doesn't need much more though, it's a nice simple beat that gets your head bopping.

If anyone would like to offer their thoughts on this I'd be grateful. More minimal than I normally like doing but hey have a listen:

Let's not let this thread die!
Let's get this back on track.

If anyone would like to offer their thoughts on this I'd be grateful. More minimal than I normally like doing but hey have a listen:

The bass is has just a bit to much resonance, I'd turn some of those freq's down with a notch or some eqing.
The drums are alright. Nothing special. Just feels like it's straight out of a pack. Make em a bit more special. Add some hits, change the drums in some bars, add variation.
But really not bad work though!

And here is my wip:
It's privated so just change that (dot) to an actual dot
https://soundcloud(dot)com/solacednb/echo/s-FXUbP

Back
Top Bottom