The theory of half time production

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So I couldnt decide if I should've posted this here in the new track section or in the production section, but considering I have a track here testing this theory I figured here was the best place.

Basically I heard from a friend that creating a track at half its speed has it's benefits. So If you wanted to create a drum and bass track at 170 bpm's, drop the bpm's to 85, and create it that way, by technically doubling the drumloops. It's difficult for me to explain, so if I've confused you in any way, please speak up and I'll try to explain a little better.

You do not write the track at 85, then upon completion speed it up to it's desired bpm, you create the whole track at 85, and it stays at 85. Apparently it creates better sounds from the synth's, either if you use presets or create your own. It also gives you more space to play around with wobbles etc.

So, I'm curious to know if any of you have ever heard of this theory, or ever attempted it yourself. And if so, what would you consider the pro's and con's of this theory?

I decided to test the theory myself and throw together a track, it runs at 87 bpm's, sounding like it's at 174 bpm.As always comments on the actual track are appreciated, although I dont consider this a serious track, more of an experiment.

http://soundcloud.com/mr-fletch/half-beat-test

Why not just keep the Bpm what it should be and write it half time there?

I sped up a low Bpm tune once, and it sounded shite

It's not meant to be sped up. Apparently you write it at 85 or so bpm, and keep it at that. It apparently helps synth sounds sound crisper and so on. It's just a theory I heard and wanted to share / test.

need to do blind a-b tests on exactly the same production to give that a test, if i were a betting man i`d put money on this being false

It apparently helps synth sounds sound crisper and so on.
from a technical point of view you will absolutely no benefit. the same sounds will be played at the same speed. if anything, by setting your sequencer on double the tempo you have more beat divisions. a 16 step sequence at 174 will be 32 at 348. i used to do that when i was using Rebirth.

http://soundcloud.com/moriaty/174-87-sum-phasereverse
this is a quick example. a single wave played at 174, at 87, then both, and then both with one of them phase reversed. as you can hear they virtually cancel each other out. some audible artefact are probably due to some lfo movement.
i cant hear any difference in quality. judge for yourself.
btw your tune aint bad, sounded pretty big on the hi fi, but the mix its a bit muddy all round. and that wobble every 4th bar is pretty poor imo. sounds very distorted and uncertain.
but yeah, keep it up man. practice practice practice!

Yeah man i've not really done it as a proper track, more a test. Didn't spend much time on it really. Saving myself for later when I get home and start on the competition track!

Sorry i misread that at start i thought u said about writing it at 85 and speeding it up to 170, thats why i was thinking eh?

hahaa

But yeah theres no real point, jus write it how you want :)

Back
Top Bottom