The Sub, whats the right way?

Discussion in 'Production' started by JimpaDirt, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

So I've been thinking a lot about the sub-bass recently. And I kind of wonder whats the best way to do it... For example, in neurofunk you have a lot of different basses with different movement and it just feels so dull if you just put a plain sine-wave underneath without any movement.

What I've been doing in my recent stuff is that I've copied the vst I made my bass in and keep all the filtering, just replace the oscillators with one sine wave. Then put the normal FX's on that I use for a sub, dist, compress and just do this for every bass sound I've got in the track... I'ts quite time-consuming and I don't know if its the best way really.

I guess you just could lowpass the original bass-sound but it doesn't quite have the power of a sine, as there usually for my basses have a lot of detuning and phasing going on.

so my question is... how do you go about making your sub?

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

anything can be a sub, just pitch it down and lowpass to taste. we used to generate a frequency in cooledit and beef that up. these days i like to use this kick ass pack of 24 bit samples of a real 808 kick with maximum decay i got from doa

3. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Oh cool, so then basically I could just do the sub from splitting out the sub freqs from my main bassline then I guess. I always thought you used a sine or a square as they are more "solid" waveforms.

I've been a bit curious about this for a while

4. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

pretty much this but add stuff n try different things out

5. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

It really depends on what style of track I'm making.....As you said, neuro has alot of movement, so I'll clone my original bass synth, add a square wave and then lowpass this. Otherwise, I'll usually use a clean sine

6. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

I usually try to have a stock of different synth sub-basses. Pretty simple (square, sine, triangle combos etc), some complex (but sound nice and simple when low-passed after the synth). I've found a lot of times a simple sine just doesn't have the presence to have the sub stand out on ANY system, usually just top end systems and monitor situations can really get the clean low-end out. So, by having a few of the harmonics present as well will help give a solid sub sound that will translate well from studio to headphones to floor systems etc...

7. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

The possibilities are endless mang.

You can turn almost anything into a sub.

Lowpass a cat. Turn it inside out. Stick it in the washing machine. Starch it. Iron it. Wear it with leather clad underwear whilst playing guitar hero with an AKG C414 recording all of the audio.

logikz likes this.
  8. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

i found that a bit of overdrive and then some ensemble really brings out a simple sine wave

9. SKIN E

SKIN E SKINESTEP

I use a sine mostly but sometimes I'll be looking around for different sounds I can use.. try and keep it as plain as I can though.. movement... play with the pitch :)

10. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

The sky's the limit when it comes to creating your sub. The only "rule" I know of is to make sure that it's mono. Other than that, go crazy with it and use whatever works best within the mix.

Cheers.

11. standard_proc

standard_proc Member

I use vangaurd (refx) init a new patch (not sure why I use vanguard, just seems to have a nice sounding sine), sin wav on oscillator 1, possibly one on osc2 (+12 semitones ) with volume fairly low to give some higher precense if you feel the need. Fiddle with envelopes to get attack and release to sit with whatever main lead. Then I usually run it through a mono eq and low pass below 50 hz (to taste depends on the rest of the mix. Then I also sometimes put a (Waves) L3 maximiser on it. Seems to work for me?

12. kama

kama benkama.net

For me, 2 ways, or a combination of both.

1. Original bass sound has enough clear sub -> Frequency split under 200hz for the clear sub and modulate / effect the mids and highs and leave the sub as is (maybe compression/limiting if need be)

2. Original is muffled or unclear in the sub area -> hipass and add a sub or a few different ones. I like sub movements too, so maybe just connect an LFO to volume or pitch or something.

For example Rob Papen Predator is something I use often, but I've noticed the subs can become very unclear with it, so I add another synth or sample to take care of the subs.