The scene has evolved... help me catch up (new intro setup)

Dub2Dub

Okay, so firstly I'm not 100% new to DJ'ing, had a set of Numarks about 8 years ago and managed to ruin a lot vinyl and hurt a lot of ears...

But I'm a persistent bugger and this time plan to do it right, infact I am currently on a DJ'ing course to help me get back into things.

So, I'm thinking of a new setup, something cheap just to get me started, I have a large itunes collection so the obvious consideration is MP3 DJ'ing and I've seen a few usb midi controllers (Such as Hercules) that look pretty good and affordable.

But... I am confused.

I want to get my self a Technic turn table too (still have some old vinyl) and would LOVE to have a simple little setup that allows me to mix and control from the same device... What exactly am I looking for?

From what I understand the Hercules only controls the laptop, other mixers allow a USB input but don't control the track (start, stop, cue) or at least that's where I am at now?

Then what about external sound cards? this is bedroom DJ'ing something cheap will suffice...

All suggestions/resources/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Cheap easy option would be an additional mixer, plug the out put of the Hercules into one channel and plug the turntable into the other.

Alternative, look for a better controller that lets you plug a turntable into it, there must be one somewhere.

Another alternative, Serato or Tractor Scratch. Get two turntables and use vinyl control, whenever you want to play an actual vinyl just switch over (I think its as easy as that anyway).

that might well do the trick.
however i will never be documented in recomending any behringer product.
how much is it anyway?
you can bag a 2nd hand serato for 180-220

that might well do the trick.
however i will never be documented in recomending any behringer product.
how much is it anyway?
you can bag a 2nd hand serato for 180-220

well... I've been looking around and still a little lost as to what I actually want to buy!

However, I think a midi controller with separate mixer would be the right way to go about this.

I'm thinking cheap Hercules e2 midi controller + sound card to get me up and running then I can introduce a 2 channel mixer when I get back onto the decks.

Just things like volume control would have to be done on the mixer otherwise could end up imbalanced...

I guess this is the best thing to do for now..

I just miss holding that vinyl down and picking the first beat to beatmatch with...

Back
Top Bottom