The Reason thread (share tips, tricks and methods)

ez mate for wobble on thor u just gta use the LFO to the right of the first filter its there selecting "tempo sync" will automatically get it in time with the same time ur track is playing at, just mess about with the rate, you can then select it in the modulation matrix (green display at the bottom) in the "source" section select "LFO1" in the "destination" sectoin select "filter 1 > frequency" and u can adjust the individual amounts of the source and dest from there

i use the malstrom for my wobble basslines, making basslines with a sine wavefrom and automating the the 'rate' with an automation lane, i havent really been using thor so far reading up on it atm seems pretty similar to the malstrom apart from its a subtractive synth

i use the malstrom for my wobble basslines, making basslines with a sine wavefrom and automating the the 'rate' with an automation lane, i havent really been using thor so far reading up on it atm seems pretty similar to the malstrom apart from its a subtractive synth

yer i no were i am with the malstrom but hearin sum of the shit my m8 dan can get out of thor, its too filthy :D

ya guys check out the loki tutorial on thor (u tube theres a thread here somewhere with it) one of the best reason tutorials online imo, really opened up a lot of peoples eyes on how to get good sounds out of that synth ;)

lets talk drums
wot kits r u using-your own?
nnxt or redrum
dr. rex????
i use all 3-lets talk of how-& i would like some other people in on this
aside from the basics of structured beats-eq & so on & on
i love the scream-damage off and set to tape
eq. on and do your worst
from there i go to abelton and do wot i will with vst
bounce it back
and have another go at it -via the dr. rex
open that file in the redrum and you got a kit
bounce it back down
and so on and so forth
-the majority of the eq i do is in reason with the scream-anyone else down on this????

yer i tend to use the redrum for punchy kicks and snares nd then the dr rex for ghosts and hats and the sort
neva used nn-xt for drums tho, wuld u recomend it??

yer scream is good but i use it mostly to add a bit of filth to my wobbles :P

i use redrum mostly for kicks and snares, sometimes hats.
i use the dr.rex to layer breaks ive chopped up in recycle.

i should get around to using nn-xt with a break, find a nice hit in the break, copy and paste zones, pitch up pitch down - that way u can use the same hit but cos the pitch difference it sounds more natural, something that u cant do in dr rex, unless u load multiple rexes with the same break in...

and as far as scream goes with percussion, tube/tape for the win for a sharp metallic snare sound

met a dubstep producer the other day who said he never uses scream, only the foldback distortion unit. i had never seriously used it until he said that, now getting some sounds out of it i havnt been able to from scream - altho cant say i even understand what foldback distortion is!

the great thing about reason is that everyone has their own lil set ups :D for me my drums are made as follows: NN-19 for my main kicks (2) and main snares (2) each eq'd separately with the m-class, maybe some compression if its needed, i also load hats and shakers in the NN-19 i know u can do it with the other devices but i prefer to keep it simple with the NN-19 so i can just add on whatever fx i need later without having to wire things up again, all breaks in the dr rex ofcourse, hi passed

in terms of synths i make some sounds in thor, bounce em out as wav and load em up in the NN-19 if they need to be twisted further with lfo filters etc

ez guys, checked the loki vid really good there 1 on drums as well. My self for drums tend to use nn19 for snare's and kicks and dr rex for layering perc, also chop and edit other breaks etc in dr rex. Nevered used redrum. For bass use subtractor or malst for sub. Then nn19 with sample with scream or tryin to use thor more for mid bass sound just eq bottom end out. Filter envelope good for the techy kind of wobble sound hook it up to mid high end of bass then get some automation on fold envelope

Last edited:
i use a seperate redrum for each of my drum hits to eq em proper dunno if this is the way it shud be done but it works for me.
also us nnxt an nn19 to pitch up drum easier an shit.
only use drrex for fills an shit just to get a nice rolling back beat
but i produce differntly for dubstep[ an dnb so wat i said there i dont do all the time

i usually record the full break from the rex and use the high pass in my sequencer as they have a bit more scope, and a choice of filters. you can also use as much of the break as you want, and chop/copy individual bits out for use in the track too.
NNXT is great for kicks n snares, but like other people (V.Vega) ill use all 3, redrum, rex and NNXT. sometimes to save time ill just set up 2 redrums - one for kicks n snares - the other for percussion

the redrum can be fun for bass too if you have a load of WAV one hit bass sounds somewhere or you've bounce some down before hand.

Back
Top Bottom