DnB The real rolling dnb beat

windowkill1

Young listener
Hey everyone, fairly new to producing, I've been taking a break but recently got back into it. I'm starting to learn things bit by bit now (get the drums mastered, sounds, mixing)..
Unfortunately I have no MIDI stuff/equipment but I do have some alright speakers and headphones so that's all I need. (as well as a laptop, obviously). Because I'm quite young, only 15 :/ so I don't have the money to buy this stuff haha.

ANYWAY I'll get straight to the point now, I want to aim for the rolling dnb beat kinda thing with, what I believe you call, ghost notes? in the middle of the 2 kick and snares break. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1MgZ5lyZIU <-- Kinda like this one... just without the continuous close kick and snare thing because I'm wanting to use a standard dnb beat.

I think I've cracked it but I'm just not getting the sound I want, it could be the samples I'm using (but I'm getting vengeance sound packs soon, I heard they were good), so I was wondering, what are people's techniques to get the cool rolling hi-hats/light snares and what they use?

Thanks, I love this forum and can't wait to get stuck into some producing! :)

windowkill1

Young listener
Thanks for the tips guys! But how do you do the shuffling/delaying using Reason 5 on the ReDrum computer? Can't seem to find much on it, sorry if I'm being a really bad noob :(

windowkill1

Young listener
You mean fast hits that go like

hihat light snare hi hat lightsnare
or
hihathihathihat?

or could you use both without it sounding bad?

rewerx

Try just adding a high passed drum break, to the mix, this will give you basis for your ghost notes and fill out the top end a bit. Also add a compressor to the break and side chain to the kick drum, this should add a bit more rolling movement to it.

Top Bottom