The Pendulum Effect (Is drum & bass being attributed to one artist?)

LandingForce

Hello everyone,

Drum & bass is my passion when it comes to music. I've been listening to it for about 3 years, but as many new listeners do at one time or another, I found myself contemplating the whole Pendulum contoversy. On many occasions, I've heard it asked why so many people bash Pendulum, and seen fans comment on the absurdity of the claim that Pendulum is "not real drum & bass".

But I gave it some thought, and I believe one cause of people's dislike of Pendulum may be based on the feeling that the overwhelming popularity of their pop/rock-ish style is changing the perception of what "drum & bass" music is. I believe enthusiasts are concerned that Pendulum has somehow inaccurately defined or exemplified the genre, to the point where their style is becoming be the only widespread representation of drum & bass, therefore eliminating demand for, or hindering the knowledge of more diverse productions of the music.

What do you think? Is drum & bass in danger of being attributed / confined to a single (or even a few) rock-star status producers?

P.S

With no disrespect to Pendulum, I personally would not like to see the future of a genre confined by, or attributed solely to a single band. Thus, I have decided to begin to producing a series of mixes designed to help introduce the new, casual-listener, or die-hard Pendulum fan to the exciting and more diverse sounds of drum & bass. The track lists will range from more well-known dancefloor killers (the likes of Future Prophecies, Celldweller, an Unknown Error) to unheard of, mental tunes straight from places like Subvert Central. If you'd like to check it out, see: http://www.letsmix.com/mix/38047/cognitive_disruption

Pop music nowadays is getting more and more electronic, there are few pop songs on the radio without a 4-4 house beat. I can't remember exactly who it is but someone like tinchy stryder or one of those pussies has dnb at the end of their new song and that must be gettin hunderds of plays at pop music radio stations. As i see it, there's always two layers of each genre - with one of those being a pop based sub-genre. The tru music lovers let the rest have their own music and think tis' the best thing they've ever heard but in reality they ain;'t got no idea. There's so much more to dnb than pendulum, anyone here wil tell yu that - now we just ghotta convince the idiots otherwise.

P.S. Snuck that mix in there didn't ya! haha i'll give it a listen

i really know exactly what you mean. i think people are always very quick to make opinions about certain genres, especially genres with such negative stigmas such as drum and bass.

I really dont like the initial impression that people have of drum and bass nowadays, BBC dont represent it properly, they give u this cheese on toast stuff right at the top, and show NO depth, diversity or quality control of music. I realized when people say they dont like drum and bass, they have probably at most only heard pendulum, subfocus, and random bits of rude boy jump up being blasted from novas driven by flatcaps up and down the country.

i take it as my personal responsibility to try and break the stereotypes, to break the stigmas, and to show people just how diverse and open minded this genre is. We all have to defend it at some point or other, and i think its a great look to be able to show people the more soulful or IDM influenced drum and bass music. As well as the neurofunk, the ragga-stylez, the liquid, all this stuff,

I've seen alot of people lately looking at me like its all about the hype, and that the music is really just a bunch of high tempo beats with no soul or depth, and i really urge to show people how wrong they are..!!
DON'T PIGEON-HOLE OUR MUSIC.

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

although on the other hand its really annoying that 16yr olds can think they are dnb heads because they got "in silico" and "sub focus" on CD.

Last edited:
i take it as my personal responsibility to try and break the stereotypes, to break the stigmas, and to show people just how diverse and open minded this genre is. We all have to defend it at some point or other, and i think its a great look to be able to show people the more soulful or IDM influenced drum and bass music.

Not trying to be elitist, but I believe this is exactly what more fans of drum & bass should try to do. I think doing something as simple as playing a few good tunes for a fellow music lover, or asking a if they have ever heard of drum & bass (and describing it to them) can be good ways to generate interest and expose people to a more diverse sound. I wouldn't be the "head" I was today if a friend of mine didn't play the "Toonami: Deep Space Bass" CD for me in school one day (Yea....the soundtrack to the old series on cartoon network).

But I think it goes without saying that the genre's grown, and progression, all depends on having people that will listen to it. So sometime in your life, try at least once to present some quality drum & bass to an outsider ;)

the only good fing i can sey bout pendulum is dat der sets from 2003-2005 were heavy and da video dey did wiv niky blackmarket.

What do you think? Is drum & bass in danger of being attributed / confined to a single (or even a few) rock-star status producers?

No and with respect its a bit of a stupid question.

I wonder if people think the scene is better off as a result of the extra interest and sales generated by P******m.

the bullshit thing is that rob swire is a very talented producer. and is capable of making good drum n bass, vault, spiral, another planet, ulterior motive, toxic shock, all good tunes imo.

how can you go from making tunes like them to watercolour.

i dont mean to rant about how bad pendulum are, but for fucks sake, this tune isnt just shit, its blatently homosexual.

how can you go from making tunes like them to watercolour.

When you've been doing it for next to nothing for years and someone says, "If you do this, but a bit more radio friendly, and a bit more like this, this could sell a plenty" a lot of people tend to think more of that chance than they do the quality of new tunes compared to older stuff.

Bit of a shame in some ways, but you need a certain level of talent before any majors start approaching and investing money anyway, so I say fair play really. Not everything appeals to everone, its just about liking what you like and ignoring what you dont I spose.

And on the original question, this applies to pretty much any music. People who dont listen to metal assume everything sounds like Slipknot, thats just how it goes.

Last edited:
the only good fing i can sey bout pendulum is dat der sets from 2003-2005 were heavy and da video dey did wiv niky blackmarket.

Yea bruv I hear yas. Tis all bout da pendulum in 2010. Dey n NDubz r my fav artists eva

Da vid dey did wit Nicky B is sick blud

Back
Top Bottom