The Official "Moan About Writers Block" Thread.

Discussion in 'Production' started by parsons19, Apr 6, 2012.

1. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Hello all.

I am in a mood as I am not feeling anything I make at the moment!

So, I have made this thread for all to moan about the evil that is, Writers Block!

Moan away :)

2. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Well I'm not in the mood for moaning about stuff so I'm just going to leave you with some tips! :D

Try out a different genre like house or whatever genre you haven't tried to make, it may give you some new angles or ideas you can later put to use in your dnb tracks!

Go out for a promenade and look at the trees or just smell the fresh air. Music is an creative artform and isn't something you just can pump out without getting inspiration. In other words, getting out of your basement can be good for you.

Or if you are like me and don't enjoy the beauty of the world or live in a cold ass country with snow blocking your front door this time of the year you can just buy some games, play some and stop thinking about your music for a while.

Try it! :)

3. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Man, I am the king of writers block.......dont nobody try and take that title away from me lol!

4. Norman

Norman New Member

Advice - Make new synth patches for yourself to use later, same with drum patterns and other stuff like that.
    Can't say I've got writer's block atm tho :D been working on stuff for 10 hours straight.

5. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Fuck that fucking shittyassdicksuckingasslickingmotherfuckingcuntcockhole writersblock

6. Nacon

Nacon Vidual

I just started wondering why i don't get writers block 2 days ago...
    I came to a conclusion in a Status update i made on my facebook page with audio examples :)
    http://www.facebook.com/Vidual - Feel free to check it if you wish to get an idea of my workflow :)

Also i´ll be making a 30 min example of my workflow tonight. Will upload it to youtube..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  7. Fragmentz

Fragmentz New Member

I too have hit a slow patch :( just not liking anything i make :( I'm taking a break at the mo its been 2weeks already! I cant help but feel like I'm wasting time though!?

8. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Oh man, happens to the best of us! Im just slowly edging myself out of a two and a half month stint of writers block!

9. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Thanks for the pointers guys. And I will check it out Nacon! :D

It really is a total bummer when it gets to this stage haha, Fragmentz, I totally know what you mean. I am not into anything I am coming out with either!

It does seem you are the king Fletch! How have you been, not heard anything from you for a while? :p

10. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Not bad mate. Been lurking around here. Got two tracks being released on 29th April. Just finished a new track that's under wraps for now. But will say more soon

11. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Ahhh sick man, nice one!

Let us know more soon!

12. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Been on vacation away from internet-land so I'm just now catching up...and I believe that this is one of the best threads ever created!

For the past 48 hours I have begun 3 different songs, all of which are quickly going nowhere fast and causing me to spend some time with my good ole PS3...and booze...lots of booze.

Cheers.

13. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

it is a bitch. but i think it only occurs for me when i have loads of other shit goin on. which is often. spesh im when stressin about stuff.

so im gonna go down the local head shop.

14. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i tried to record guitar all day yesterday, been tinkering with this riff for months. turns out i dont know how to play the guitar and got exactly fuck all done. a sad utter waste of a day.

15. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Yes some good moans coming through here :)

The PS3 has been a very good substitute for me recently too ! :lol:

16. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

I just read a very interesting article on the internet. It basically talks about how when your young your a creative beast where as that disappears as you get older.

Anyway, It says how people, as they become older, need to to replace the statement "This is what will happen if" with the question "What will happen if?".

I think this is true & very interesting...

17. JReilly

JReilly Member

Yeah I read something similar, it kind of makes sense when you think about.

But I also read psychedelic drugs can increase creativity substantially :crazy:

This also makes a lot of sense

18. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

Definitely something I've noticed. When I first started to get into making tunes I pushed them out one after the other, but I didn't understand techniques and methods like compression or mixing down or anything like that. Now that I have an understanding of all that I feel sometimes that I get too locked down worrying about getting all that stuff right and that it's hindering my creativity.

19. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

sort of agree with this....

but now I find when i make something more creative it sounds alot better due to knowing better about eq, compression ( i just do it till it sounds right ).

So you can get hung up on it but thats only when ur not being creative, maybe using it as an excuse?

I find i don't necesarily go through spells of "writers block" its more like sometimes a tune comes out really easily and sometimes i need to work on it for a long time, usually the latter...

I wish I had some hardware and a microphone... I feel this would make me a bit more creative, production kit is too expensive!