THE NEXT LEVEL

bob_bobster

Been DJ'in for for about a year now, got myself a pair of 1210's and have built up a savage collection of tunes (old and new)
I seem to have sussed the beat matching/pitch control and are getting to know the tunes well and starting to plan the mixes (in terms of phase/bars etc..)
Any advice on moving up to the next level...
Whats the best way of planning to the mix to get the most out of it??
Are here ways of mixing by adjusting the levels as opposed to just the cross fader??
Is it a case of just going through the tunes to find ones that will mix and then finding where you wanna mix the tunes??

ANY ideas/ advice on this or any mixing techniques/ tricks etc.. would be appreciated

Nice one!

i have my vinyl split into 5 catagories...old classics, new promo's/releases, double drops & rly mellow liquid tunes.....for me its much easier when mixing, instead of searching through 200 vinyl that are all mixed up...Hope that was some use to u, will help u get a range of tracks into your set which can only benefit ur mixin skills...

Been DJ'in for for about a year now, got myself a pair of 1210's and have built up a savage collection of tunes (old and new)
I seem to have sussed the beat matching/pitch control and are getting to know the tunes well and starting to plan the mixes (in terms of phase/bars etc..)
Any advice on moving up to the next level...
Whats the best way of planning to the mix to get the most out of it??
Are here ways of mixing by adjusting the levels as opposed to just the cross fader??
Is it a case of just going through the tunes to find ones that will mix and then finding where you wanna mix the tunes??

ANY ideas/ advice on this or any mixing techniques/ tricks etc.. would be appreciated

Nice one!

Theres always new dimensions to mixin mate! just play around with it yourself.... these days there's so many options open to people at low costs.... you could go down the FX unit route? get your self a Pioneer FX1000 and play around sounds or go down the sampling/looping route by getting Ableton and runnin your dex through it.... or do both..... as for mixing, try using eq's to mix with or just try doing different techniques.

Us three (The Mutant DJs) run a FX Unit... the Alesis AirFX along with... 4 decks... and when playing out live we run Ableton aswell so we can sample and loop any part of our set. Theres other things we're planning on bringing into it aswell like a 5th deck only for scratching etc...

But thats only a few things... just play around and try to think what you would like to see a DJ doing??

dont want to piss on anyones bonfire but i reckon effects and loops sound shit in dnb sets, especiallly scratching, fair enough for happy hardcore or what ever where it seems acceptable to climb onto the decks etc and all that bollocks but i hate it when i hear it in dnb

dont want to piss on anyones bonfire but i reckon effects and loops sound shit in dnb sets, especiallly scratching, fair enough for happy hardcore or what ever where it seems acceptable to climb onto the decks etc and all that bollocks but i hate it when i hear it in dnb

Come and see us live mate..... guarentee you wont say that after our set....
imagin sampling the first sequence of every tune you play that night....... lining them all up on Ableton..... cutting them up....... and then dropping about 4/5 of the big hitters that have had reloads that night in about 2-3min???

TRUST ME!! GOES DOWN LIKE A TREAT!! We almost always get asked to reload the "megamix"..... which using Serato we can.....

while these tracks are being rinsed live from Ableton.... us three then have the time to get out 4 other tracks, cue them up on out decks and get a bit mental after that.... this process gets repeated a few time during an hour set.

and this is just the sampling side of it......

We can hook up a keyboard... play extra b-lines or lead sounds

run a accapella through Ableton and feed it live over a mix

Its all about pushing the boundries bro..... No good having the same monotonous bullshit being played day in and day out is there???

Come and see us live mate..... guarentee you wont say that after our set....
imagin sampling the first sequence of every tune you play that night....... lining them all up on Ableton..... cutting them up....... and then dropping about 4/5 of the big hitters that have had reloads that night in about 2-3min???

TRUST ME!! GOES DOWN LIKE A TREAT!! We almost always get asked to reload the "megamix"..... which using Serato we can.....

while these tracks are being rinsed live from Ableton.... us three then have the time to get out 4 other tracks, cue them up on out decks and get a bit mental after that.... this process gets repeated a few time during an hour set.

and this is just the sampling side of it......

We can hook up a keyboard... play extra b-lines or lead sounds

run a accapella through Ableton and feed it live over a mix

Its all about pushing the boundries bro..... No good having the same monotonous bullshit being played day in and day out is there???
do u ever play in b'ham m8

Back
Top Bottom