The new breaky edit stuff...

freeagent

Almost 30
VIP Junglist
... not into much of it at first, but starting to really like the Offshore stuff, a few Breakage things, and some older edit stuff I had forgotten about.

My only complaint is that no one has been able to put a melody and bassline together with some top notch edits yet.

Also, I think it should be called breakapella :teeth:

Your thoughts?

That's true
Most stuff is impossible to dance to and really bland in every area except the beats. A track has to do it in all departments.
Bass can always work with the beats, as can other instruments

Hopefully it'll "water out" and bring some of the more standard elements back in, serums spot-on with the dance factor.. The only way you'd be able to shock to some of this stuff was if you were a fkin contortionist break dancing russian trapeze artist..

Bring back zee bass! Think So Vain had a good amount of chop/bass/ambience to it, a lot of the other stuff is drier than a nuns fluff box!

LOL, breaky edity stuff is nothing new, just something that has been criminally ignored instead of weak 2 step shite. This is how jungle should sound, it's always been about the breaks, choping them up is nothing new.

And if you can't dance to anything more complicated than some boring 2 step then piss off and listen to hard house or something :shrug:

Last edited:
New breaky stuff?! :grrrrr: Like Matt said, nothing new in the slightest.

The scene has ALWAYS been about editing breaks, just sicne about 1998 the scene has been content with 2-stepping beat programming which makes it easier to produce, mix and dance to.

Check any old jungle set from back in the day and you'll see that 90% of tunes was mash up break work going on, indeed far more imaginative than a hugh amount of d&b output over the past few years.

Breaks are slowly becoming more common place in d&b and about time too. Yes it can be minimal, but it doesn't have to be that way and there is plenty of tunes out there if you're not into the total minimal stuff.

Bar tracks from the likes of 0=0 (with Soul Hunter Testifies etc), anyone who can't dance to the more break tracks needs to listen more. It's still a 4/4 beat, you still move to exactly the same beat as a 2-steppy track. I really cannot understand anyone who can dance to it, bar the cap twirler chicken dancers.

Last edited:
V Matt said:
And if you can't dance to anything more complicated than some boring 2 step then piss off and listen to hard house or something :shrug:

Hmmm, that was a bit rude

Must remember not to come on here after a hefty liquid lunchtime :alchy:

But, like Wilsh said, it's not hard to dance to

I was referring to the tunes that are pure almost incoherent chopped up breaks and not a lot else..

The 0=0 stuff is a good example, I'm all for real drum patterns rather than boom-tish boom-tish, but a tune still has to have substance!

Oldskool usually has some kind of real subtle 4/4 in there so you can dance to it, but this stuff is a bit more for the chinwaggers

Fair points all around. No one thinks this style is new (Remarc), but some of the choppage techniques surely are.

The 0=0 stuff, for example, is mad and well produced. But certain tracks that Bailey has cained ("Babylon" springs to mind), although very cool, lack even a head nod appeal for me personally. Nothing wrong with waggling the chin, but maybe not at the club?

Serum said:
Oldskool usually has some kind of real subtle 4/4 in there so you can dance to it, but this stuff is a bit more for the chinwaggers

You've obviously never got yourself to a Technicality or Metalheadz where 'this' stuff is played. Far from any chinwaggers in there. People truly appreciating the music, dancing like loons at the best of times.

Does make me laugh that the net forums opinion of this side to d&b is generally geeky and 'chinwagging'. Like I said get yourself to a night and I'm sure you'll find at least 70% of the crowd dancing properly and you never know..... you may enjoy the music if you lose your stereo-typing attitude for a night.

wilshy said:
You've obviously never got yourself to a Technicality or Metalheadz where 'this' stuff is played. Far from any chinwaggers in there. People truly appreciating the music, dancing like loons at the best of times.

Does make me laugh that the net forums opinion of this side to d&b is generally geeky and 'chinwagging'. Like I said get yourself to a night and I'm sure you'll find at least 70% of the crowd dancing properly and you never know..... you may enjoy the music if you lose your stereo-typing attitude for a night.

You've definitely got the wrong end of the stick there. If you had any clue of the kind of sound I'm pushing right now you might know that. I love the breaks I love chopping them up but I think artists like Fanu, Equinox, Paradox and 0=0 have abandoned everything else

Yah, i'm really feelin' this breakish dnb. 0=0 is the shit. It's hard as fuck to find his tunes. Check out his set: http://212.61.71.8/~technicality/0=0 - TECHNICALITY030903.mp3
Fucking nasty :lighter:
Actual Proof - Maybe I'll Stay (Fanu Remix) [Offshore Records] very sick tune.
Stranjah - Red Lantern... such a killa track, i like the chinese vibe innit. anyone know anyting on this bad boy. Can't really find any info on it.
:jackson:

Proof, if ever there was any needed, of the power of the breakbeats, was Saturday's Technicality all-nighter. Just check some of the feedback and comments going on on other forums to see how the Fortress was devastated by the Inperspective crew. No head nodding, no chin stroking, just hundreds of people going beserk...

Quite simply the best night I've had out in years. I'm still grinning now :twisted:

Watch for the second all-nighter... coming soon!

rubbish!

look you just gotta be open for it.

new wave or the first generation.
every music has good stuff and bad.

if a track fits you, nice
if it doens't. you don't have to take this to the whole gerne.

:rinsed:

Back
Top Bottom