the move to digital.

deckadance does everything, but its not in your face, and you just carry on mixing like you would with vinyl and cdj`s, maybe loop some bars, or load a new sample pack

I've no idea what deckadance is though. Used to be a jungle night in Manchester if I remember rightly.

I've no idea what deckadance is though. Used to be a jungle night in Manchester if I remember rightly.

its the same as serato and traktor and virtual DJ, but from the makers of FL studio, some numarks use deckadance as default, but if your semi pro and not a teenager, your better off with a vci-400 and find out which application you prefer

deckadance-2.jpg

I'm very close to doing what you've suggested just thought you should know.

If you're going the controller route, go with the new Serato and the Pioneer DDJ SX. The VCI 400 is a nice piece of kit, but aimed at MIDI mapping nerds.

Honestly, don't go with a controller though. You'll be happier with DVS and the Traktor Kintrol Z2 has near perfect integration. The only downside is that you'll need a separate audio card for gigging if you don't want to bring the mixer.

you just select the vci-400 in deckadance as the remote controller, its open midi, one day there will be a actual open midi "protocol" used by all manfactuers and have a tweaked version released every other year like USB

you can probably download midi mapping reg files for other controllers, etc etc and quake 3 color names

different mapping for traktor and vci-400 https://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/mappingone.aspx?id=176

Last edited:
going to buy some aleses mk 11 active monitors today, am i right in thinking from my djm 500 i will just need to run two xlr cables to each monitor and then the turntables will plug into the serato/traktor interface then from there into the mixer channels?

going to buy some aleses mk 11 active monitors today, am i right in thinking from my djm 500 i will just need to run two xlr cables to each monitor and then the turntables will plug into the serato/traktor interface then from there into the mixer channels?

yep, this is exactly what I do.

I have just bought a last model Traktor s4 and it changes things instantly, i still have my vinyl decks hooked up and now i have four deck set-up. If you can still get a last gen S4 they are only 499 and it has everything you need.

Be warned tho i scratch and you have to pay extra for time coded support. The fader is good and i the software is excellent, there was some crackle but i research it and it turned out to be my wireless connection so once i turned this off it hasn't happened again.

I remember when everyone said real dj's dont use cd's, now all the big boys use them its only a matter of time before this is standard the only problem is making sure you choose the right platform. I chose vestax over 1210's and i regret it as 1210's are standard everywhere and feel completely different that was over 10 years ago now and i have researched this so much as i do not want to make the same mistake again which is why i chose Traktor :)

If you're going the controller route, go with the new Serato and the Pioneer DDJ SX. The VCI 400 is a nice piece of kit, but aimed at MIDI mapping nerds.
Well I'd like to reduce the amount of space my decks take plus I find the portability aspect of them interesting. I'm tempted by the XDJ AERO because you can use usb sticks/smart phones with them (so no computer) but I've never had a go on one. Does it actually feel like mixing? And do I have to quantise all my tunes whatever that means?

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I like the monkey noises this guy makes..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'd like to reduce the amount of space my decks take plus I find the portability aspect of them interesting. I'm tempted by the XDJ AERO because you can use usb sticks/smart phones with them (so no computer) but I've never had a go on one. Does it actually feel like mixing? And do I have to quantise all my tunes whatever that means?

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I like the monkey noises this guy makes..

The Aero is kind of toy, tbh. Check out the Pioneer XDJ R1. It's a controller, but also plays CD's and USB. You can prep all your tunes in Rekordbox and seamlessly switch between practice and playing out. You can use it to control software or just play cd's. it's a seriously nice bit of kit. It was really buggy on launch, but Pioneer is real good about updating firmware.

The first decision you need to make is DVS or controller. DVS is more fun to play, but controllers have a ton of possibilities and freedom.

I started DJing on CDJs in my uni's union... Vinyl is at home. The switch to digital is quite difficult. Can't decide how to burn my CDs. 1 per seems like a waste so I started with 5-10 tracks per CD. I ran out of CDs and ended up putting 22 on the last one lol. With digital I find it hard to appreciate each single track. I just whack some random ones on a CD quickly and then when it comes to playing I feel a little frustrated tbh because I feel like I forgot to burn this or that. With vinyl I make up my mind about if I really need/want the tune before. But maybe that's also because I don't have my own digital setup but I can only use the union's once a week... It's quite fun and I enjoy playing on CDJs (even though they feel like some really cheap things even though they're pioneer 1000s and or 850s.).

NOOOOOOO don't become another laptop dj get some cdj's and do it properly. In ten years time its just going to be laptop dj's with there sync buttons now where's the fun in that

OOOSSSSSSHHHHHHH
Most of the estAblished djs in the scene pre pitch, which is basically syncing. I've used traktor when

- - - Updated - - -

Playing out and I didn't use sync...

The Aero is kind of toy, tbh. Check out the Pioneer XDJ R1. It's a controller, but also plays CD's and USB.

It's huge though and built like a battle ship. You can however control it wirelessly from an ipad which is cool.

I started DJing on CDJs in my uni's union... Vinyl is at home. The switch to digital is quite difficult. Can't decide how to burn my CDs. 1 per seems like a waste so I started with 5-10 tracks per CD. I ran out of CDs and ended up putting 22 on the last one lol. With digital I find it hard to appreciate each single track. I just whack some random ones on a CD quickly and then when it comes to playing I feel a little frustrated tbh because I feel like I forgot to burn this or that. With vinyl I make up my mind about if I really need/want the tune before. But maybe that's also because I don't have my own digital setup but I can only use the union's once a week... It's quite fun and I enjoy playing on CDJs (even though they feel like some really cheap things even though they're pioneer 1000s and or 850s.).

i've always found that when using digital at a mates or whatever, it's more convenient to just whack on a similar tune cos it's there on your screen. you have to know what you're gonna play next with vinyl and in that way it encourages you to know your tunes a bit better. i think

Back
Top Bottom