The Maytals appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Indi, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

I've just been digging through my reggae collection.
    My father went to Jamaica and the West Indies with the merchant navy in the 60's and 70's, and when he came back he had a few big crates of reggae vinyl and a smoking habit. His record collection was his pride and joy, maybe 4 or 5 thousand pieces of every genre of music on vinyl, and a massive chunk of that was reggae, Trojan, Greensleves, etc. Now just before he died he gave me his records when I got into DJing, and I use them for samples, referencing harmonic structures and whatnot.

Getting to the point, I've been sailing through them all again, and I've found myself playing Toots and The Maytals regularly. Man, I forgot how good they were, absolute bliss in sound. The Clash covered them, Bad Manners covered them, in fact anyone who has heard them has been influenced by them.
    Key tracks to check are Funky Kingston, Time Enough, In The Dark, 54-46 Was My Number, Revolution, and of course, Pressure Drop :slayer:

Anybody feeling these, or reggae in general, or am I just being me again?

2. mesh

mesh Active Member

Definitly just being you homie :2thumbs:
    I must say thats a pretty cool story Indi, all that quality vinyl, old, sentimental and quality tunes too. Very nice man... but no I'm not into Maytals but I havent' consciously heard them. I do really enjoy roots and dancehall reggae though, not into lovers or anything tho

I'd just like to recap my musical history in comparison.
    My dad started working in a cow shed at age 14, and was soon listening to Jim Reeves and Hank Williams all day. Then he met my mum, a big fan of Demis Rousos and Frank Sinatra, and I tell you by age 4 I was listening to Abba and John Denver every day too. All my folks old vinyl has been stacked in a wet box in the shed in Perth, and is probably trashed.
    :oops_sign
    :lol:

3. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

never heard the maytals but my mans got a crazy reggae collection ive been raping for samples lately. and hey did you know UB40s first record 'on her majestys service' is fat? serious man, you wouldnt think so but

4. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

UB40 have been owning for ages, their basslines and harmonic structures are superb