The Matter and Andy C

Er? Don't think thats quite true mate? I might be wrong here but ive been lead to believe that just cos peeps have made tunes in the same key doesn't mean there bpm's are gunna be the same. 3 tunes could be made in the key of g but if ones at 176, another at 173 and another at 170 your still going to have to play with the pitch to get them in time. Those tracks you said are prob all made at the same bpm hence not having to move the pitch adjuster much.

Thats my two cents. :D

:word:

WOrd WoRd wOrD.

Dj MoWgLi :...

:teeth:

Er? Don't think thats quite true mate? I might be wrong here but ive been lead to believe that just cos peeps have made tunes in the same key doesn't mean there bpm's are gunna be the same. 3 tunes could be made in the key of g but if ones at 176, another at 173 and another at 170 your still going to have to play with the pitch to get them in time. Those tracks you said are prob all made at the same bpm hence not having to move the pitch adjuster much.

Thats my two cents. :D

Your are correct in that obviously a tune can be put in any key at any speed, but to mix them in key they also have to be the same speed. A track in G at 160bpm wouldn't mix properly in key with a track in G at 175bpm as it would have to pitched up so much it would change the key.

This is why on Key lists, such as the one on ChemicalRecords, theyre not arranged solely by key, tracks are in sections of key and bpm. Both these things must correspond.

So yes to the smart arse who pointed out that the tracks I mentioned were the same speed, of course they are, they need to be otherwise once youve fucked around with the pitch they wont be in key anymore.

This is why Andy wouldnt have to change the pitch much if he's mixing in key.

This is turning into a crazy jibba jabba thread! Where is my jibba jabba come to think of it?

Fuck it anyway, Andy C is a legend on and off the decks, I enjoy his sets and so do thousands and thousands of other people, not really bothered if he does cut his vinyls to a certain bpm or not. Moo.

I am willing to face adversity, like I have done in this thread, and ride on my horse of truth untill I reach justice.

I am right though aren't I? Before this thread I was 100% sure that if you want an in key mix then the key and bpm must correspond, because if theyre in the same key when they were written but one has had to be sped up a lot its key will change?

Now, because literally enveryone has disagreed I'm not so sure, but I can't see how it wouldn't be true. Maybe some people just missed my point, that wouldn't surprise me when HazdaMan responded.

I am right though aren't I? Before this thread I was 100% sure that if you want an in key mix then the key and bpm must correspond, because if theyre in the same key when they were written but one has had to be sped up a lot its key will change?

Now, because literally enveryone has disagreed I'm not so sure, but I can't see how it wouldn't be true. Maybe some people just missed my point, that wouldn't surprise me when HazdaMan responded.

i think your prob right to a certain degree man but i don't think what your saying applies to the way DJ's mix there genres. If someone was trying to mix breaks and dnb then you'd prob be right because you'd have to speed up the breaks track or slow down the dnb tune so much that it would sound wierd but when DJ's like andy c are mixing tracks where the bpms are very similar, its not going to make much of a difference in key.

pitching a track down like +2 dont really affect the key atall....

i know subsonic stated what is what and all that jazz in another thread

i think your prob right to a certain degree man but i don't think what your saying applies to the way DJ's mix there genres. If someone was trying to mix breaks and dnb then you'd prob be right because you'd have to speed up the breaks track or slow down the dnb tune so much that it would sound wierd but when DJ's like andy c are mixing tracks where the bpms are very similar, its not going to make much of a difference in key.

Fair enough I guess it depends on how much a change in pitch affects key. Im not musical enough to know whether, like you say only a change in 20bpm or so will make a difference or if speeding up a tune by 3 or 4 bpm will matter. Anyone got the knowlege? :D

I just did a little test using 'Hurt you' as an example. It's written in G minor, if you pitch it up around 5% then you're in G sharp minor

Moving the pitch by anything below 2.5 doesn't change it I think. Also, everybody knows he has the bpms written on the case, which makes sense. As soon as you know that, everbldy knows how much to move it on their own decks, but like you guys said, matching isbtvthr half of it

ive got standing room only on 12" and thats got a long build up. i exspect most of andys choones are a 2 bar build up?! as on one of the sets ive listned to of him there is no way enough time to get that tune in after another before it drops

ive got standing room only on 12" and thats got a long build up. i exspect most of andys choones are a 2 bar build up?! as on one of the sets ive listned to of him there is no way enough time to get that tune in after another before it drops

errr no.

he has a cue point closer to the drop.

i just thought I'd let you know that a change of 9% will move the key up or down by one.

and also, im pretty sure andy c does get his dubs cut at the same speed. but if you were him, you would do the same. and its not as if he cant beatmatch or anything cos he still plays a load of stuff that he hasnt gone and cut himself so wont be at the same speed so he still does have to beatmatch a lot of the time.

either way andy c is a legend

Back
Top Bottom