The 'I HATE INDIE' THREAD

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Mulla, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

God does anyone actually like this abysmal wank? Every fuckin day at work were subjected to Starsailor, Coldplay, David Gray, The 'Thrills' (lol)!!! I FUCKIN HATE IT! I mean come on, this music is the 2003 equivalent of gash folk music like Peter, Paul & Mary. I dont see how any heterosexual male, can hold his head up with dignity and say he likes indie.

These 2 kiddies I work with were talkin about how they saw the Stereophonics on some tv show the other day, and commented on how camp the singer looks! What the fuck did they expect? A muscley skinhead covered in tatoos? Listen to the music you plebs!!!! THIS MUSIC SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED!!!

:gun: [​IMG]

sorry for the rant, but if you had to put up with this shite everyday, you'd be feeling the pain too

2. Triple M

Triple M Admin

Makes ya wanna cap yaself innit :s

3. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

God one of the tunes he playing now, just had the lyric "I know your itchin', in the kitchen'!

Sounds like something Shabba would say!

4. V Matt

V Matt Member

Coldplay is music for people who live with their parents and still wet the bed. It's a load of moany crap :(

Not all indie music is shit though - I used to love it, I still listen to it a lot. I agree that a lot of it is shit nowadays but it's all about older bands like The Pixies (best band ever!), Dinosaur Jr, Nirvana, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Stone Roses etc. :rockposse

Most of the current trendy indie bands like The White Stripes, The Strokes etc. are just a rip off of older bands for a new generation :shake:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003
  5. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

Couldnt agree more mate , I used to love the above bands and still occasionally dust off their CDs, but I wouldnt really call that indie, its more er....'alternative rock'....or something......

What I mean is, you can hardly compare J Maskis, Frank Black and Kurt to Liam Gallagher and Damon Albarn!!!

6. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i think what i dislike the most about indie is the people who listen to it. :dynamite: indie kids around here have a tendency to take themselves too seriously.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2003
  7. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

Indie is shite

8. freeagent

freeagent Almost 30

Most of the new bands you mentioned aren't indie. They are major label pop. There is some good indie out there.

RIP Pixies....

9. Charlie Van Pelt

Charlie Van Pelt Charles N. Charge

Haha, reminds me of that "music for bedwetters" comment by Alan McGee (correct me if I'm wrong).

Confession - I was gonna get "Parachutes" (due to liking "Trouble") and "A Rush Of Blood To The Head," but more important things have come along...like CD's by Dom & Roland and Amon Tobin. :D

Gotta have my priorities straight, see?

Chuck :drums:

10. CoB

CoB Pure Sanelessness

hehehe..
    i thought this was about indi..
    the guy what posts here..
    but anyway..
    i really dont mind indie that much, it is good on some ocassions, but there is a music for every occasion in my opinnion.. that isnt spellt anyway near right.. but im sure people will get the idea haha.. man im not with it at all right now hey..

and yes i agree, that stuff is defo not indie. specially cos it is shor for independant isnt it?
    and all those bands u mentioned have had adds on tv and shit.. hehe.. arm yes.. oki im quite alright thank you very much..

11. V Matt

V Matt Member

That album should be renamed "A Rush Of Wee To The Bed" :teeth:

12. sub vibes

sub vibes Member

imo it seems that things that get too commercial (and by that i mean they become a good way of making money) also seem to get worse at the same time...
    nirvana, the pixies etc they were huge but i dont think they were created with that as their main focus...lots of bands today seem to be just following a formula in order to be successful so the depth too what they are doing just isnt there :rolleyes:

but setting that aside some indie is abysmal purely because they need to cheer up, sort their lives out and stop complaining. :drums:

:)

13. freeagent

freeagent Almost 30

Mainly, my problem is that the music and production is terribly simple and thus the weight falls on the lyrics, which I find to be juvenille at best. Plus, a lot of this new stuff (ColdPlay for one) is painfully slow (50-60 bpm).

14. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

:uberlaugh

15. Charlie Van Pelt

Charlie Van Pelt Charles N. Charge

Dude, I feel the same way about "nu-metal."

Congratulations, you might have just given me a song title! :D

Let's see...after stuffing our ears with tunes around 170 BPM, of course indie music is gonna sound like the sonic equivalent of a tortoise! :lol:

Chuck :drums:

16. CoB

CoB Pure Sanelessness

haha.. even 170 sounds slow to me lately!

17. freeagent

freeagent Almost 30

Well, I like slow hip-hop (70-80 bpm). I think the cut-off is around 70 for it to remain tolerable.

And speaking of Tortise, they are one of the great indie bands of all time, check them out on slsk.

:mkay: