The History of Drum and Bass Thread

Lunos

VIP Junglist
Okay so im doing a history of drum and bass assignment for my Music Course at college which will culminate in me having to produce a track that will hopefully replicate the original sounds.

This is the official history of drum and bass thread, any information, facts on origins, pioneering artists, record labels and tracks post them in here thanks.

No Waffle in this thread

have a flick through the book 'all crew must big up' for inspiration. better than the wiki article and full of great quotes to use, they love that kind of shit in essays

been told by a few older heads around bristol that a group called 'smith & mighty' were amongst some of the originators, cant tell u much more apart from i know that RSD is part of smith and mighty and is sometimes found spinning dubstep in brizzle!

They've been around since '88 but i wouldn't call them a massive influence in the origins of Drum & Bass/Jungle, but, they have made some great great tunes as 'More Rockers', check 'your gonna make me'....BIG TUNE from '95.

Last edited:
cool assignment john. Sounds good ,

If you find Marlztah's posts on this forum, (production section ) he has links in his sig, one of which is a thread he made on the Original Breaks, so the Amen Brothers, and how it was used and why ect. Interesting post, and teaches the origins of using certain breaks and instruments for dnb/jungle.

edit : ive found it for you mate.. check it out, teaches a thing or two.. enjoy

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=50138

See King Tubbys Studio Sessions on youtube.

Everyone has their own version of where it started, but the argument & evidence for Tubby is undeniable, for me.

Don't forget Hyper D! Nice to see you're doing an assignment that will keep you focused aswell! Are we going to be seeing the finished product?!

People and things you have to mention:

A guy called Gerald
Dom & Roland
Grooverider & Fabio
Goldie
Blue Rooms
Rage (the event not the mc)
Simon Bassline Smith
Moving Shadow
Shut up & Dance
Eastman
Randall