The Hip-Hop Thought/Theory/Philosophy Thread ***

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by BDS, Jan 17, 2010.

1. BDS

BDS Active Member

A lot of threads tend to get started or hijacked by people talking about various Hip Hop related things whether its interpretations of lyrics or people just wanting to spread the love about something they have recently come across.

So I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread specifically for that purpose where people can come check out what other heads would reccomend or just to discover new artists etc...

I'll get the ball rolling with a couple of thing's.

Just lately I came across a group called Mood and their LP entitled Doom and it totally blew me away.

The production is top notch and the lyrical subject matter is deep and on point, it has something to say which is why I think I like it so much...

Heres a few choice cuts from the LP...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEZO9FdWOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQNBZ-A8Is8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQlOF7S-VY

to be fair the entire album is sick but these are a good representation of what to expect...

2. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

nice thread.. just listened to them .. sound good ill have to try find the album mate..

just listened to that ' esoteric manuscripts ' .. sounds pretty similar to m9 and subject matter.. will need to listen closer..

3. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Yeah, nice thread.

Recently been sourcing Dirty South HH, largely cos of 'PAPER ROUTE RECORDS - Fear & Loathing in Hunts Vegas', I've posted the free legal DL link to that a few times before, it's only 192 but the 320 ain't that hard to find.

Also been listening to Three 6 Mafia, on the Dirty South tip, seriously, it's 'simple' yet innovative, hypnotic, melodic HH, looping head nod shit, unlike anything else I've heard before. Perfect for a long drive. They done so many albums (20+), so have a search and a listen.

:)

Also, Spank Rock, Baltimore party HH, check they YOYOYOYO album, I consider it more party music than true HH, but is SICK, and man can flow.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. BDS

BDS Active Member

Keep an eye on your Pm's.

p.s

This is 90's so way before M9. sounds like he and some UK producers could have been slightly influenced by this stuff though.

5. co0ke

co0ke windowlicker

wicked sounds. gonna buy this

6. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

good find. deep stuff... really love the production style aswell.

you should all know this already but i guess its a lesson in story telling for anybody who hasnt;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD1UZh6Bfl8

7. DJ Spliff

DJ Spliff Never Enuff Vinyl

8. EWOKS

cheers , yea i got it .

can tell its old, but its good. im sure alot of the people nowdays have alot of influnce form the originals .

all this wu tang i been listening to lately ect.. im hearing little jehst things in their and bits n bobs that ive heard in uk .. so i suppose even ppl like jehst get ideas from places and make them thier own .

nothing wrong with being influenced, just dont copy.. big difference.

cheers anyway ill have a proper listen.

im on some dodgy wireless thing at the mo.. my internet is fucked..so i havent had time to download that comp you did me.

ill add some nits n bobs to this soon.

9. TheTornado

TheTornado Member

just wanted to say, make sure to read a book called 'can't stop, won't stop' by jeff chang. essential reading for anyone into hip-hop culture.

10. BDS

BDS Active Member

Try and get it asap man your missing out on some real bangers haha,

you'll wish you did it sooner once youve got it.

11. BDS

BDS Active Member

@ ethix.

I noticed some interesting things in some of ol dirty bastard & method mans lyrics

check this...

for instance ODB refers to himself as ason and sometimes Osiris

Ason = A sun

maybe he's refering to the fact that he's a follower of that Babylon stuff we were checkin out, or maybe That Dr Malachi yorks stuff??

A son of Osiris??

He says stuff like this...

Ason I keep planets in orbit...

also meth has a lyric in All I need where he says...

I could be the Sun, You could be my Earth, Recreate the God through Birth??

Strange stuff man, makes you wonder what theyre were brought into when they got signed because you dont hear this stuff on 36 chambers which they wrote before they got signed...

just some stuff I thought you may find interesting.

12. EWOKS

ahhh intresting shit mate.. ive tried to include a few bits n bos in my lyrics, but you dont wanna over do it .. just a hidden agenda to those that kno.. just a little mention of the eye of horus and bits n bobs ya know .. i need to listen and read more, need to know deeply what im writing about.

good find tho , ill be listening closely ..

Asun = Horus = the all seeing eye = the sun

Horus = son of Osiris.

i really need to be learning more on all this, if anything it makes for a few nice lyrics :andy:

13. spiderfran286

spiderfran286 "Yes, squid pro roe..."

GET CRUNK MOTHER FUCKER GET CRUNK

the real masters of HH are Jaylib.... with out a doubt. Champion sound is perfect....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  14. D BREAKNECK

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  15. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

Mood is a quality album.

Talib Kweli got pretty big after that.

In Hip Hop related news, I just booked my MF Doom ticket in london. Can't fucking wait.

Also, if anyone is in Manchester, check this out if you can.

[​IMG]

My mate Odie is battling Gloxxy's brother. It's gonna be a heavy weekend.

16. D BREAKNECK

Saw that on FB. You coming up for it? I'll be there on the Sunday, Saturday too if I'm not working.

17. archive

archive Member

any word on the new madvillain album?

previews for it were sick

18. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

Yeh man, I'm there for the weekend.

£52 for return coach and two nights at Premier Inn.

Pretty good price.

19. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

Ain't heard none. Those previews were sick.

20. SMDtheMC

SMDtheMC Member

Job has gotten pretty serious lately so I haven't had much time to check this lately, so here's a ton of replys

A. Nice thread

B. that Mood shit was pretty dope

C. Hi-Tek is the shit, but his best output was Reflection Eternal w/ Kweli, it's been all downhill from there

D. Jaylib is sick, and Champion Sound is classic; but unfortunately Dilla is dead, so it's just Madlib now; but he has a ton of Dilla influence, so he'll carry the torch....

E. "Ason, I keep plaaanets in orbit, while I be comin wit deeper and more shit"

That's all rooted heavily in the NGE doctorine; not only Wu-Tang but most East Coast hiphop in the late 80s and early 90s, that's why they referred to Rakim as the "God Emcee" (others were AZ, Nas, Black Moon, obviously WuTang etc.); as most memebers of the NGE (Nation of the Gods and Earths, or more commonly referred to as the Five Percent Nation of Islam, where they believe the worlds population is 85 percent ignorant, 10 percent deceivers who take advantage of the 85, and the 5 percent intellegent) refer to each other as God, which is why on mad NY albums and songs you hear in skits, "peace god" "what's the knowledge god"; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nation_of_Gods_and_Earths that's the wikipedia link if your interested in more of the teachings, it is pretty interesting
    Some of my friends growing up were studying the 120 and always droppin' knowledge on me, but it's not exactly a favorable religon to caucasions to say the least lol.

Anyhow however you view the NGE it had a profound effect on hiphop and its members made some of the best hiphop in history.
    http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php...d=2221561&mesg_id=2221561&listing_type=search
    that's a interesting discussion on the NGE and how its slowly lost relevance in hiphop

Jay Electronica, who is one of my favorite up and coming MCs is a member of the NGE, if that's of any relevance

And here's a Wu-Dictionary for any other terms your wondering about although I will disclaim it's not 100 percent accurate its pretty on point
    http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php...d=2267874&mesg_id=2267874&listing_type=search

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010