The grittiest US Rap

savoirfaire

VIP Junglist
Hi peeps

looking for some good artist/album reccomendations for raw gritty hip hop. I already have Mobb Deep, Nas, Wu Tang Clan, early MOP, Gangstarr songs Any others would be cool, i know a few artists but it would take too much time to explore their music.

Albums like Illmatic/Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers) would be cool

jmzmaloney

ENTHUSED WITH ETHNOGRAPHIC PLUNDERPHONICS
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Heltah Skeltah, Black Moon, Smif N Wessun. I have posted lots of albums on the East Coast Hip Hop Thread you should be able to find it

D BREAKNECK

7 years on top
VIP Junglist
R.A. the rugged man... His album wasnt all that tbh...
I really liked it.

Also, Diabolical (Foul Play mixtape is maybe best 'angry' gritty I ever heard) Immortal Technique, lotsa ppl rave about Necro & Ill Bill but I ain't really got into them.

@ Savoirfaire it looks like you're into a certain classic era too (like loadsa ppl are) and you already know lotsa the big uns from then.

You should try Notorious B.I.G

& :not_worth Big L (Lifestyles Of The Poor And Dangerous)

& NWA

savoirfaire

VIP Junglist
I really liked it.

Also, Diabolical (Foul Play mixtape is maybe best 'angry' gritty I ever heard) Immortal Technique, lotsa ppl rave about Necro & Ill Bill but I ain't really got into them.

@ Savoirfaire it looks like you're into a certain classic era too (like loadsa ppl are) and you already know lotsa the big uns from then.

You should try Notorious B.I.G

& :not_worth Big L (Lifestyles Of The Poor And Dangerous)

& NWA

I'm into all sorts of hip hop except the Southern drawl shite and Soulja boy etc, just decided i need more of the gritty 90's shizzle more lyrical etc. I will check out your reccomendations

I love Immortal Technique and NWA are good too, not really sure why i havent checked out Notorious already he was a good rapper

D BREAKNECK

7 years on top
VIP Junglist
I reckon you'd like Beatnuts too. Excellent dark & gritty, but still funny, skills and beats.

I also reckon some early Jay-Z might do ya, seems everyone's off him now he's gone into pop / rnb, but his early stuff is strong.

Not gritty but classic - Eric B & Rakim helped define so much of the 90's style

also Lady Of Rage, gritty West Coast with some Dre beats. :twisted: different take on 90's G / street shit and one of the only female MCs from that time that springs to mind for quality (she's the female guesting Snoop's Doggystyle album).

Fes Rock

Nothing..........
VIP Junglist
if you like Wu, youll love Ghostface(personal fav) Raekwan, Method Man & rza's solo projects

oh and if you do not have Only Built for Cuban Linx & Liquid Swords they are my most fav Wu LP's of all times.

peep maloneys thread, dude has good taste

Borf™

Borf
VIP Junglist
Check out Gravediggars.

RZA's side project, with Prince Paul from De La Soul.

Doing some horrorcore stuff.

"Mommy what's a Gravediggar?" is a raw tune.

jmzmaloney

ENTHUSED WITH ETHNOGRAPHIC PLUNDERPHONICS
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Check out Gravediggars.

RZA's side project, with Prince Paul from De La Soul.

Doing some horrorcore stuff.

"Mommy what's a Gravediggar?" is a raw tune.
Yeah that album is quality I like the Suicide tune cant remember the name right now. Also check Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus

YOUNG TUNA

IT'S ME BITCHES
VIP Junglist
Necro/Ill Bill and the whole of Psycho+Logical records is gritty as fuck.

Raw production and vile lyrics
Don't dig necro too much but you check out the other philly krus also. Jedi Mind Tricks and Army of the Pharaohs. Like the peeps called Vinnie Paz, Outerspace, Reef etc.

EDIT: and I cannot stress enough about the BEST hiphop album that came this year:

Snowgoons - Black Snow

There's so many good tunes on that album I don't even wanna post em all here. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA0OHmZSjmA

Last edited:

YOUNG TUNA

IT'S ME BITCHES
VIP Junglist
Is that 6 Feet Under?

The Pick, The Sick and The Shovel is their best album
What's that? Gimme some info blad never heard of that. Snowgoons are... 3 german guys I think, they produce same kind of beats like Jedi Mind Tricks and did the collab album with the philly kru. Awesome album.

Snowgoons - Raining :love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71-PVc4pe2M

Snowgoons - Starlight :love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkW-NU9AaKw

Snowgoons - Pay Attention (best tune on the album imo, it's really hard to decide which tune is the best tho, so many good ones)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHk6_fGP1E