The great MC debate

Tidy_Boy

I know this topic gets brought up far too often, but the post about Eksman made me think again. I can take or leave MCs they dont really do anything for me, but having just sat for an hour in the garden roasting listening to Adam F's set from the Dnb awards last year, I feel the most annoying thing about MCs is the ones who chat all the way over a tune with lyrics, as is the case with Det on this set, rambling crap all over the top of Stand Clear. That is what pisses me off about MCs

I don't like or hate MCs really, but I think a night out is pretty wack without some talent on the mic.

sdm said:
I don't like or hate MCs really, but I think a night out is pretty wack without some talent on the mic.

True, but the important word there is 'TALENT', which is why mc's aren't really doing it for me at the moment, there's not really that much talent in the scene. The worst is when they shout for rewinds that no one asked for, and they get them. Fucking scammers.

i think the issue is still that whether u like em talking over tunes or not - raves with no mcs have shit atmoshphere.

someone standing at the front going 'make some fucking noise' is enuff to get a vibe really going...

i saw mc sweetpea performing with roni size at the milkyway the other day and he definitely fucked up a few times. and so did roni with all those stupid rewinds (4 in a row??? come on!). But im with djcell on this one. I think most mcs do a great job hyping up the crowd.

My feeling about MC's are the ones who know how to get a crowd hyped & moving in a good way are the ones who know the tracks & appreciate when a good build up needs some vocal talents to make it more intense or a quick lyric over a break would work wonders for the event there at. MC's are always going to be part of the D&B scence so we can't really take the mic from there hands & unplug it, but alot of them need to understand that filling a track with vocal content isn't what everyone wants to hear, & that a huge percentage of people don't go to events just for MC's & what they got to say.
MC's I've got time for are as follows:
IC3
Sharpness
Armani Reign
3D

Im not a hater but I like my beats the way they were intentionaly made for the dancefloor! :rslayer:

MCs will always be a part of the scene for sure, love them or hate them. Personally I like MCs, but I only have time for a few because so many of the big ones haven't changed their lyrics for about 10 years, rewind every tune, chat over lyrics, don't support the DJ (just think it's their show).....the list goes on.

They are an integral part of the scene, and going to a rave with no MCs would be a lot more dull, and probably quite repetitive and boring, especially if the DJs chose the same tunes to play. The best raves are when DJs and MCs compliment each other, you need a good presence on both the dex and the mic for a wicked night! :gpeace:

3d????amen to that!!!!!!i like mc's like freestyle,jus talk and communicate with the crowd when necessary. :gpeace:

bad ace inc. said:
3d????amen to that!!!!!!i like mc's like freestyle,jus talk and communicate with the crowd when necessary. :gpeace:
bigups! my sentiments exactly. where can i hear 3d? we looking for another mc for breakneck

When I first got into drum and bass, it was cause of MC's mostly. I used to love some MC on my local pirate lol and just listened to a few tapes. How I kinda got into the music more, and even though I don't know that much about it still, I've gone off mc's quite a bit. I suppose I'd like them at a rave to keep me going and get hyped up but when it comes to listening to music at home, I prefer cd's with no mc's or listening to nu breed on ruud (Most the mc's I like are in the group).

I do say that skibba is crap, but I know he isn't rubbish at what he does I mean it's just his attitude seems crap. (See Twist Em Out) This is why I don't really listen to him anymore, although I used to only listen to him lol. But I suppose I shoudl reserve judgement till I actually see him. Shabba makes up words. Fearless/Det etc etc most of the so called 'professional mc's' chat the same lyrics over and over again!!

Last edited:
they all think they're great and that we want to hear them constantly. shabba doesnt just make up words, he commonly can be heard chatting complete gibberish but then at least he doesnt use the same chats all the time...the same chats that the others have been using for YEARS. i think we're being scammed.

Back
Top Bottom