The Grand Escape EP – Elementz Of Noize Q&A (In-Reach Mag)

InReach

Compilation EP from various artists under one label is nothing new, and is a great way to introduce new artists on a label’s roster, an exploration into new work from established artists or indeed the comeback of an old favourite.

EXKUR003, or The Grand Escape EP, is one such release that covers all three of these bases to create an EP that bursts at the seems to provide a satisfying kaleidoscope of Drum & Bass, from chilled downtempo to old-stool breaks laden madness to appreciative half time numbers. 
Featuring new artist Infinite Leap and up-and-coming vocalist Sula Mae, this EP provides a feature of the collaboration.

A highlight of this release is the incorporation of tracks label favourite Soul Intent, whose half time wizardry sets him apart on the Drum & Bass stage. 
Yet the real treat in store is the return of Old School giant Elements Of Noize, whose hits include SOUR 027’s Hit The Deck (1995) and Neon (1997). While The Grand Escape EP doesn’t mark his return from late 20th Century jungle business, this EP is his first vinyl release since 2003.
In anticipation of this amazing EP’s release, In-Reach caught up with Elementz Of Noize to have a chat about the release, artistic output and his mark on the scene.

Easy Al. The Grand Escape EP marks your 30th appearance on a release, the last being 2004, 14 years ago! How does it feel to be back producing?
It’s probably way more than 30 if you include compilations and a few more obscure releases and aliases. 14 years is a long time and i can’t remember quite a lot of releases… thankfully discogs helps out a bit there.

It feels excellent producing music again but this time round I seem to be a lot more fussy and generally much slower at writing… hopefully that will improve as I get to grips with the technology again. Back in the mid 90s and into 2000 and something, I was hammering out 2 or 3 tracks per week. When I was even younger (early 90s) I had a phase where I was pretty much writing a new track every day and of course they were all wasted (as was I!)

Back
Top Bottom