The FL Studio thread (share tips, tricks, secrets etc.)

what you do mate is go through your mixer channels 1 by 1 that you want to send to the send channel. as you click on kick drum channel for instance, you thenlook at the send channel and you will see a volume dial, turn that volume up and you have just sent your kick to the send channel. also don't forget to turn the volume dial down on the master channel in the same way or you will have a double kick going on. sorry for my shit explanation but it would be easier to show with pictures.

awesome that's what im after! thanks very much.

also I've just worked out u can assign a fruity send from each channel I want to the send channel and automate that way aswel. is this doing exactly the same thing as how you've described above does?

also when u say turn down on the master channel the same amount I've put through the sendI I take it u mean the send channels master? I want the signal sent through at 100% but I do see when I do this as u say it is doubled. hope I make sense

sorry for the noob questions, just learning all the ins and outs

cheers

Last edited:
Have been having a good play round with both methods and sadly i doesn't seem to be able to do what i want it too exactly...

As you say i have to adjust my master level of the send channel otherwise its doubling up. But when you turn down the master to compensate with the method mentioned above and the fruity send method, the affect I'm adding to the linked channels is only effecting the linked instruments partially due to the send master being turned down :chainsaw:

I wont it to fully effect them as Im putting a low pass filter on them, no good having the filter on partially effecting them... When the send master is at 100% it obviously does but then I've got doubled up sounds (too loud)

I would turn each instruments mixer channel down to compensate but i'm only adding this filter in pieces of the track and don't wanna be effecting the levels throughout...

there maybe something simple i havn''t seen to fix this, if anyone can understand my problem and knows how i should go about it please let me know?

Otherwise i think im just going to bounce down the pattern i want to filter to wav and filter in cool edit pro then pop it back in the track.

okay let me try and explain. when you click on say your kick channel. you will see a volume knob with a yellow kinda arrow underneath it on the master channel. you can either turn that volume knob down or just click the arrow so it disappears, that way your kick is not going to the master channel anymore. then while kick channel is still highlighted you just turn the knob on your send channel and voila your kick is now routed through the send channel. the send channel is still routed to the master channel so your kicknow goes via that route instead of straight to the master channel.
hope that makes sense to you. it took me a while to grasp the concept but honestly once you suss it out you'll be slapping your head wondering why it took so long to work out.
i'll have a butchers for some video tutorials and post the link here for ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnowZ4_Iiuc

check out this vid. as you will see your not limited to the send channels and also depending on what your doing you may still want the volume going to the master channel, if i bus my drums to a send channel just for compression i will mute them from the master but if i send things for slight reverb etc then i will just adjust the send channel volume to apply whatever effect i want at whatever rate.
just watch the vid and have a play around and you'll soon get how limitless the possibilities are.
all the best

ahhhh, as you said can't believe i missed that, that was exactly what i was after. Cheers mate. Man

I must say Fl studio has come a long way since the first fruityloops release. It a very powerful DAW now!

And yes the mixer has infinite possibilities, Have got a good grasp on it now.

Cool to see someone else from Chch here on the forums too :)

you based in chch eh?
i'm not a kiwi originally, from the uk but over herefor a wee while, i'm actually in invercargill at the mo, work went to shit after the earthquakes so workin down south.
glad i could be of some help. fl studio has done my head in heaps but now and then i get a eurika moment and its fuckin simple, slap the head a few times and on to the next thing to fuck with my head. you tube is a good help for most things, also just try fuckin around without actually trying to create anything coz then theres no pressure to get any results, amaing the shit you can come up with by accident or experimentation or whatever you wanna call it.
all the best with your producing

you based in chch eh?
i'm not a kiwi originally, from the uk but over herefor a wee while, i'm actually in invercargill at the mo, work went to shit after the earthquakes so workin down south.
glad i could be of some help. fl studio has done my head in heaps but now and then i get a eurika moment and its fuckin simple, slap the head a few times and on to the next thing to fuck with my head. you tube is a good help for most things, also just try fuckin around without actually trying to create anything coz then theres no pressure to get any results, amaing the shit you can come up with by accident or experimentation or whatever you wanna call it.
all the best with your producing

yea im in chch, well north Canterbury.

your right about just experimenting as such, im back home living with my mum at moment and the sounds she had to put up with cranking out of my room! haha. pretty much just teaching myself how to do everything at moment, with help from good old google and reading countless tutorials.

have had enough of ripping it up on the dance floor so time to start producing. going to MAINZ next year to study audio engineering and production, can't wait..

I'm not sure if these have been already mentioned but my tips for Fl studio 10 or above are:

1. Scrollwheel
Heres a few things I often use it for:
Shift + scroll wheel (while hovering over a track in the step sequencer will allow you to move it up or down in the list) - this is generally useful for keeping things tidy (keep your drums, synth, bass etc grouped together)

This also works on the mixer to move channels left or right (everything is reassigned to the correct place) and its also useful in the mixer plugin list (on the right hand side) you can use it to change the sequence of your effects plugins (as far as I know it goes from top to bottom) an example of this if you have a reverb plugin and a compressor plugin on your inserts, but you've put the Reverb under the compressor (so the channel out is compressed then reverb is added) but you want the Reverb to be compressed, then you can just move the compressor down 1 position with the scrollwheel (works with or without shift).

2. Not 100% familiar with scales but want to keep your tracks in a single scale/ chord pattern? (more intermediate/advanced)

I do this all the time, I can do scales by ear but I just do it to double check and help me figure out new ideas.

Try this start a new file (or open your existing one), add a 'sampler' track at the top, don't load any sample into it (it will contain notes just for reference).
Turn 'ghost channels' on ... right click the sample track name and go to piano roll, go to options (the arrow in the top left corner) > helpers > ghost channels (or just press ALT+V in piano roll)

Next, right click on the pencil icon at the top (next to paintbrush).. this will show you a list of chords and scales (click once of the scales)
< for experimenting just pick any of them, i'd recommend starting out with Major or Harmonic/ Melodic Minor scales if you're just getting into music theory.

Draw the scale across a couple of bars (in most cases I draw up to the beginning of the 5th bar, that gives me 32 beats) for a basic chord pattern perhaps just go for 1 or 2 bars (8 or 16 beats). Now you have a scale.. to make it even more effective copy and paste it then drag it up by an octave (example the scale is
'C Major', copy it and put it above it, but make sure you have the lowest note on C again, just one octave higher) or just draw again on the C above and it'll do the same thing. So on piano roll put one scale at C3, one at C4 and so on, I usually do just 3 or 4 of these.

Now you might wonder, what this is useful for.. well now you have a guide for the scale of C major. If you add another instrument below (for example a pad) and go to piano roll, you can now draw chords by following the grey ghost notes. You should experiment with this.. when i first started doing this i would just draw 4 chords over the grey notes, then play it and hear how it sounds (sometimes it'll sound strange, but just try to listen to the chord and move one or 2 of the notes to another grey note).

Once you've got some nice sounding pad chords, add a bass synth below it, again just for the sake of this tutorial stick to the grey notes when drawing in piano roll. Try to match a few with some of the notes of your chords, or just make some variations using those scales notes.

Do this with melody etc.. it'll take a little time to get used to what sounds good and what does, just because a note is in the scale doesn't mean it'll sound perfect.

Other ways to use this:
You'll notice that this is mainly for drawn notes, but you can apply this to MIDI keyboard too, in case you have any notes which aren't in the scale.

Another tip on this: for example if you've just played in a bass line on your MIDI keyboard and you want to make sure your chords match perfectly, you can make a sampler in the same way, make sure ghost channels is on (info above if you missed it), then try to match a scale to what you've played. Then you've figured out what scale your track is in (there will probably be more than one that fits though, so again experiment).

Or maybe you've played in a chord sequence and one doesn't quite fit in, do the same again, and move the notes to match the scale.

These are just the basics really, there are different methods that work in other ways for example Jazz styles work a little differently (usually use multiple scales). But this will hopefully help you make sure that all your notes are in the same scale and make things sound more in-tune.

If there is anything that you need more help on then I'll try to respond.

3. Automate anything!! Even non FL-native plugins

Move the knob/slider that you want to automate (in any direction, just as long as its changing the value)
goto TOOLs menu > last tweaked > edit events

Its a long post, but I hope those 3 tips will come in handy, the 2nd one is a little hard to explain clearly so i'll try to get some pics up if anyone wants to know more, or I can answer any questions about it. I have other tips, but i'll post them a little later.

So all of a sudden the drag/drop function (like when taking slices from edison or duplicating a channel) has stopped working, what's up with that?

So all of a sudden the drag/drop function (like when taking slices from edison or duplicating a channel) has stopped working, what's up with that?

^ Anyone got a clue on this one? Still happening, it also affects edison standalone

How do i go about getting a drum loop to meet up with itself in fl slicer? The loop i want to use is 174 bpm, but the tempo i am working in is 170. When i change the tempo of the loop theres a small gap at the end. I want this loop to keep looping seamlessly without the gap. I have tryed time stretching it but no luck. Could someone provide some help?

How do i go about getting a drum loop to meet up with itself in fl slicer?

Do you get the loop separated to the hits, in other words, does your loop split at transients? If so, just write the loop using correct 8th and 16th lengths or whatever there are. I do this always when I bring a loop in a song, usually fixes all problems. If it doesn't, then its a little timestretching -> timestretch pitching vs. normal pitching.

Was I too hard to understand here? Oh well...

I'm not sure if these have been already mentioned but my tips for Fl studio 10 or above are:

1. Scrollwheel
Heres a few things I often use it for:
Shift + scroll wheel (while hovering over a track in the step sequencer will allow you to move it up or down in the list) - this is generally useful for keeping things tidy (keep your drums, synth, bass etc grouped together)

THANK YOU.

Back
Top Bottom