THE FL STUDIO HEADZ... HELP !!.. (MAYBE FOR OTHERS ASWELL)

EWOKS

POTATOES GONNA POTATE
VIP Junglist
i understand that to make a really nice , gritty,dark,dutty, b-line i need to re-sample,tweak,re-sample,tweak ...

but what the frig is re-sampling, people say split up a b-line into high/mid/low frequencies.. then tweak each one , then layer them back together and listen ... is this right , and if so how do i split up a bassline into layers please.

also my basslines sound weak alot of the time... can anyone explain how filters work in fl studio and how to put them on ... such as low pass filter / high pass / band filter and how they work and what for ...ect ect.

or maybe a link to a thread , would be very niiiiiice !

cheers :beers:

basically what and how do i RE-SAMPLE!! i use fl studio and have soundforge ..

and i dont know where in fl studio to find my filters , and if i did , i dont know how tro use them and apply them to effect . is lfo the same?? is that a filter. im a little lost at places :) ... people say play with the lfo and try enveloping... i know 'envelopes' arte the decay,attack, ect ect ... but what is enveloping . sorry for such vague questions.

any help or threads on these two questions would be cool .

sorry if my other post was abit confusing..

respect .:grouphug:

Last edited:
i dont resample, dont see the point... but theres a post here that i explain how to resample a sound in fruity... http://www.dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=48483

heres how you split the audio signal into different frequencies in FL.... well this is one way anyway....

oh and this is a demonstration for splitting it into three bands.... you can split it to more or less, just use your loaf ;)

first off, you need to send the signal from your synth or sampler to an FX channel.... in this demo we'll use channel 1

then, at the end of the chain, insert 3 "Fruity Sends", send the first to send 1, the second to send 2 and so forth... (its a good idea to rename them too) on the third one, turn the dry volume to zero, this will stop the original sound coming from the fx channel

the reason you put the "sends" at the end of the chain is so that you have the option of adding effects before the split

10g0jet.jpg

when you now play a note, the peak meters on sends 1, 2 & 3 should light up and the meter on the fx channel 1 should do nothing... i like to turn the volume all the way down on chan 1 at this point to remind me that there is no sound coming from it

now put a "Fruity Free Filter" on each send channel. set one to low pass, one to band pass and one to high pass (again, labling keeps things organised)

turn the "Q" down on all the filters, now set the low pass to a fairly low frequency, the band pass to something a bit higher and the high pass to something higher than the band pass

13zpgud.jpg

now to use your ears.... it helps to have a melody programmed in at this point... play the melody and adjust the frequency of each filter, you can solo each send channel as you do this to help

you basically want to let the sub through the low pass, so adjust to suit (soloing the low pass send channel helps here)..... you want to let the 'fizzyness' through the high pass.... and the band pass is down to you really, play with the frequency and turn up the Q if need be to make the band pass narrower

now add your effects.... id suggest keeping the low frequencies clean, so no effects on that channel. as for the higher bands... thats down to you, distortion always seems to go down nicely though ;)

after adding effects, you will probably want to adjust the frequencies of the filters again..... and you will also want to adjust the level of each band too, use the send channel volumes on the mixer for this as the gain on the free filter dont work (not on mine anyway)

i think thats covered it, any questions just ask

thankyou very much marlz ... youve been a good help on here for me . thanks , i havnt had time and wont have time to try out your suggestions and help but when i do ill let you know how i get on.

and no doubt ask you to clarify a couple of things :beers:

thanks again man ,

the help is always hugely appreciated ... too many people wanna only look after themselves in production , its nice when people put the time in to assist others ... hopefully with time i can return the favour to other noobs .. so big ups to marlz and vick vega for the help on things .

respect .

quality mate. absolutely buzzing with it, fratanize come over to my gaff the other day and we both put it to good use , got some nice warm , dirty b-lines on the go ... i nicked the idea of putting sends on kicks and stuff and seein what sounds i can get from that . ... excellent help , cheers ... my reeces a starting to sound nicer and nicer . still really struggling with compression though , but ill get there . ... still not whipped together a full track yet , i may just put up an effort , so i can get some critique to work towards .. thanks again , this tut and the one on parametric eq2 have been a massive step for me .

Back
Top Bottom