DnB The first track I´m not ashamed to share for opinions

Ihamitsu

Random Nolifer
EDIT 2 :

New mix and mastering. Still done by me, but after lesson from my friend who owns studio.

EDIT :

Here is finished track, still homemixed.

So guys... First I wanna say hi, I´m long time lurker here and this forum helped me to get many info about dnb, mixing and production.

So I have some clasic musical background, I play drums for 13 years, piano... and ofc little guitar and bass. I also do the whole Dj routine and I enjoy it very much, but the production was logical another step for me.

Well... here I´m now, it´s been long two months, since I started in FL totaly from scratch with no technical background, no studio monitors, no external sound card. First month I was mainly learning the whole "soundguy" routine... EQs, channels, effects, etc, etc... Also many people told me, that I should lock everything I produce in first year and never share it :D :D :D

Ok maybe I´m overconfident ( not ), but still, I made a lot of rubbish in those two months, but this idea ( intro + 1s drop ), it´s really the first thing which is OK I guess.

I would love if you checked that for me. I now it´s not amazing or genius by any chance, but I think that for guy, who started 2 months ago with nothing, it´s quite OK.

Also don´t forget it´s work in progress... no mastering etc etc.

Thanks for your time, every answer will be appreciated.

be gentle

George

Last edited:
Thank you for reply, dude...
I was expecting little more feedbacl from more people -_- I thought this forum is quite alive :D

I´m finishing this track however, and then I will take it to my friends studio, made better mixdown and mastering...

Then I will share it...

these posts should be here mate https://dnbforum.com/forums/new-talent-and-track-reviews.21/

so id make them lows like the sub to about 400hz a bit more subtle there too loud and muddy, if you must then take some eq out but i dont like doing that the sound or bass should be clean from synthesis and not have do to much eqing to make it cleaner, and you need more highs just make the hat louder maybe a tad eq at 10-12k
like most tunes i hear with only some months or even a year experience, the snares mostly are not punchy, kicks are too thuddy and dont hit hard, quiet highs and not enough highs.
the idea is good youve got a basic understanding of production you literally just need to do it for another 4 years and youl be making some good stuff. If i could give my beginner self years ago any information, it would be to continue watching tuts and master classes and just make music, i learnt how to get better results out of eqs and distortion etc just by trial and error, i could tell my self that but it wouldnt make me any bangers, maybe my tracks would of sound better sonically but the more you do it the better you get, some weeks you might not do anything and your somehow be better when you come back to it, just keep going man

^ That stuff is what you would say to everyone with 2 months of experience. Seriously, if somebody would say he's been making electronic music for 2 months and his mixdowns would turn out to be really good, I would tell him to stfu or ask him who's ghost producing "his" music. It's not possible to get a good mix after 2 months. My mixdowns are still crap after a few years (don't have a proper studio setup tho, but still).

^ That stuff is what you would say to everyone with 2 months of experience. Seriously, if somebody would say he's been making electronic music for 2 months and his mixdowns would turn out to be really good, I would tell him to stfu or ask him who's ghost producing "his" music. It's not possible to get a good mix after 2 months. My mixdowns are still crap after a few years (don't have a proper studio setup tho, but still).

Maybe it is, maybe people do, maybe itl help him..? who knows mate

and if you dont have the money to own reference monitors then just get some decent headphones, you can get enough info out of them to have sick mixes

and if you dont have the money to own reference monitors then just get some decent headphones, you can get enough info out of them to have sick mixes

Naw it's not that, I have monitors and I have headphones (3 actually, for different purposes). It's just that I don't really do much with my monitors because of living in a flat, 4th floor, having ridiculously bad room acoustics and very little space. Would need some serious acoustic treatment. Then again, I do know my headphones well, but it's still deceiving sometimes (mainly the stereo image & dynamics).

Tbh, If you ask me, it would have been wiser for me to just invest more into headphones and skip monitors. Didn't know any better back then tho.

To the OP, this forum, at least the production section is far from being that alive. Might wanna try out DOA (Dogs On Acid - drum & bass forum) too .

Thanks for tips guys... I´m learning something new every single day, but without doubt, the skill to equalize and mix right, is something you can only get with tons of practise...

EDIT : He deleted some bullshit I reacted to, I´m not self talking lunatic

what? I have just begun. I spent first month every single free hour studying shit. Then learn DAW, then produce awful bullshit tracks. Then made my first which sounds ok, wanna share and have opinions, and you write some general shit like this?
Dude I´m playing drums for 16 years now, so I now what is dedication, but pardon me, mister, if you think that 4-6 hours daily invested into this new hobby of me is nothing ....

Last edited:
OK @Ihamitsu- thanks for re-uploading! I think if you've only been producing for a short while, that's a damn good effort mate:) Sure- there's some constructive critique I could make, but the concept for the track is good. (I've got a soft spot for martial-arts D&B so love the little Mortal Kombat samples!)
The sound leading into 'excellent!' and the bass-line after it are the 2 best musical elements of the track- you've programmed the automation really nicely and it's got movement.
Breaks!! Kick & snare could do with being drier- it's tricky to select ones that really sound authentic from drum machines and a nice hectic breakbeat will help add the detail- try James Brown Tighten Up Pt.2 or Meters- Here Comes The Meterman:) Less multi-kicks at the end too mate- have mercy on the DJ!

Hello, thank you for listening and opinion. I´m aware of some things you mentioned and I have to agree.
The thing is, I´m producing for like 2 months now and - I know it may sound as excuse, but it´s not - I still don´t have the equipment to properly soundcheck how everything sits together, so even this result is something I´m happy with.
I tried to made kicks and snares, via resampling more sound together and it sounds quite good by itself, so maybe the problem is compression or where they sit in the final mix. I have only shitty speakers and quite decent dj headphones, and I still want to export tracks to wav forms and they it to my friend studio, where we will do some dark magic :) I will upload progress.

of topic:
The point is, I have some shitty time in my life now, broken leg on 3 places, been separate from wife for month and I really needed to finish something possitive not to went completely crazy :) So this track is my free ticket to mental health :D

I know it doesn´t matter anything to internet stranger, but I´m still glad you listened to this track and enjoyed it.

Cheers

@Ihamitsu Sorry to hear life has dealt you some tough blows recently- and I'm the 1st person to agree that making music is great medicine for the heart & soul!! Of the 2 then, trust the good DJ headphones not the speakers as they will be 'lying' to you for sure! No need for an excuse- this is great for 2 months experience:) You are right to feel happy with it!

pretty good for 2 months worth of experience! took me longer to get to that level for sure. i'd defo start working a bit more towards the synthesis of the mids/basses but it will all come with time. keep at it man, glad to see you're doing something positive in a tough situation!

Thanks for opiniom. I haven´t the chance to hear that on many devices, so maybe the problem is that my crappy cheap speakers and Dj phones aren´t exactly the most precise stuff to produce on. Don´t worry, it´s just first serious track. I hope I will only get better and maybe do the new mix after I buy some studio monitors.

Back
Top Bottom