The early years

Quartus

Just got a new topic idea.
Ever, since I was 4 I wanted to become a DJ.
My dad was soundengenierer, my Mom is in the MTV Production.
So they supported me. Vinyl and Turntables were to expensive for us and I was totally into german 90s Techno (never feel ashame for something)

At my 4th Birthday I got my first mixer and 2 Cd Players. I also got 2 JBL Control One Monitors we had in our equipment. Now I am 18 years old :(

So show your first stuff and tell a bit how you became part of the musicindustrie.

This is my first Mixer, 14 years old:

Greetz and waiting for some stories.

D

number1k.jpg

lol i have the exact same pioneer djm600 mixer as you presently, works fucking awesome except for my effects knobs fall off sometimes :P

Started listening to the bass and drum about 2005. Didn't propperly get into it untill 2007. Really enjoyed litsening to it and loved the essential mixes that DJ Hype brought out. I became really interested in how he managed to mix the tunes together, as I thought he was remixing them together as apposed to actually mixing them, I didn't understand the concept of mixing back then.

I quickly became a MASSIVE fan of jump up loving the likes of Taxman, DJ Pleasure, Hazard, Xample and of course... the legendary G-Dub.

My taste grew to neurofunk and liquid and now I generally listen to it all.

Still love DJing jump up. That's my main passion. Can seem to get to grips with producing it though:(

I suppose my style of production links with my style of mixing. A bit of everything.

My set up back then:
2x Kam turntable (don't know what model; the most basic I presume)
1x Kam mixer (" ")
1x Kam headphones (" ")
2x Kam needles (" ")

My set up now:
2x Technic 1210s
1x Bheringer DJM Mixer
1x Sennheiser HD25s
2x Knitting Needles

Hope that's good Quartus ;)

I wanted to be a rockstar. We had a 'band' with my cousin where he would play the drums (pans, kettles and buckets mostly) and I played a ukulele. We would put on a cassette to play and pretend we were playing the music. must've been like 6 years old. When I learned to play a little, I even recorded stuff: I used whatever I could find as drums, record that on one cassette, then play that back and play guitar over it and record that with another cassette player... it was massive, maybe 11 or 12 i was. Too bad I lost the tapes ages ago.

Then a mate showed me Impulse tracker and the guitar was left gathering dust. that was 10 years ago.

That's a very nice story kama.

I remember, when I was very young (round 5) I got a cassetterecorder and recorded the parts of tracks from some radioshows I liked.

I'm currently 16, will turn 17 at the end of this month.

I used play drum set in elementary school, i was really good, and jammed with some buddies. But i never practiced and generally didn't care, so i stoped. I stoped playing all "analog" or acoustic instruments since. (I especially hate guitars)

My music taste stared to go into death and black metal for some reason, which i now never listen to because all the artists and albums i have sound the same.

First heard DnB on a collage radio station three years ago, he played some crazy tunes, even venetian snares. I was amazed and wanted to do it myself. I started playing with GarageBand on my sister's computer. A whole new world of music was opened to my eyes, people created new and original music without copying each-other. I want to keep doing the same, i hate copying, i just want to have my own style. I now have a MacBook of my own, and produce dance music AND rap. I stayed away from all the cliché rap instrumentals, and developed my own type or rap; it's done all on the computer, and has got hard hitting drums with sick synths, and smart sequencing. I am working on an album with my MC.

When i'm done with high school i want to work part time and try to make money off music aswell; electronic music is a hobby that isn't going to wash off me, I love computers too much.

My music taste stared to go into death and black metal for some reason, which i now never listen to because all the artists and albums i have sound the same.

The same over here. Play 12 years guitar now, for some recordings aswell.
Till I was 15 I had long hair and was wearing Deathmetal Shirts :D
Ashame on me, but it isn't that far from brutal Dubstep, is it?

You got into it early o_O
I really begun to feel a proper passion for music at about 14, but into more house and nu-jazz and that stuff, then I got into drum and bass slowly through the liquid side. I've played the piano on and off, but I didn't really feel the motivation for it, and did it because my parents are/were pushy like that.
I don't see myself going to into the music industry for life right now, but who knows what could happen :D

Well let's see at 12 was listening to hip hop, sir mix alot anybody? Ha. No it wasn't until I was 16 that I started going to raves dropping pills, me and my best mate at the times went everywhere together but at that stage I was into happy hardcore, trance as much as drum and bass but after awhile I found myself off in the smaller rooms listening to drum and bass usually the local DJ's or hanging around outside waiting for the international DNB DJ to start on the main stage or on another night I'd hang around outside the drum club in Perth ahh the memories of having cones and eating Macdonalds in the carpark ... nah we all wanted to DJ really but done too much fucking around of the above to have any real focus to put into it, anyway apart from playing the volin for a year when I was 9, that is my musical history.

Last edited:
I started getting into music and the rave scene when I was about 15. I was always in it for the partying and stuff but the more I went the more I realized I was actually going for the music the older I got. I didn't get into DJing until much later. Around the age of 20 - 21 my friend told me about a class in town here where the guy will actually teach you how to mix and spin records over a series of about 5 classes. Seeing as it was something i've always been interested in after going to dance parties for years I decided to give it a try. Although the class was based around teaching people to mix hip hop and rap it got me pretty interested in DJing in general. My first set of turntables was bought from this guy, called a Numark BattlePack. It was about $300 (Cdn) and was just a simple mixer similar to that lizard above and two turntables that have absolutely no horsepower behind the wheels. I started off mixing hip hop and rap because that was what I was tought to do but wasn't really too interested in that stuff. From there I progressed to start spinning hard house on vinyl. I stuck with hard house for about 2 years and then I switched over to Electro house. During my electro house era is when I picked up my next set of equipment. I bought used a pair of Pioneer CDJ 1000-MK2 and the DJM 600 mixer. I still have that same setup today and use it all the time. Lately i've been spinning Dubstep, DnB, and Electro. But definitely have gotten alot more into the producing end of things in the last year or two.

Back
Top Bottom