The DnB Forum "Sample Your Own" Production Competition 2011

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Alright lads!? Time for another me thinks.

Anyone who read my other thread will know what this is about.

The DnB Forum "Sample Your Own" Production Competition 2011

This competition is going to be a little different to the others that we've had in the past. You have to produce a track in any genre you fancy using sounds that you have sampled(recorded) yourself. The idea of this competition is to test your creative ability as much as your producing ability. Also... there's been a hell of a lot of talk about resampling going on around the production forum... this is your chance to put everything you've learned into practise!

The ground rules are as follows:

Create a track using only sound samples that you have recorded yourself

No synthesis allowed at all so no Massive/z3ta+/Absynth/Sylenth etc. instruments to be used.

You are allowed to record yourself playing an instrument. This gives people who are good at playing a chance to show off their skills and also allows some form of musicality to come through in some of the tracks. HOWEVER no recording of drums to act as drums. E.g. You CANNOT record a kick drum and use it as a kick/snare/hi hat/whatever drum. Vice versa with snares/rimshots etc.

Prizes go to:

1. The Best Track
2. Most Creative Use of Samples
3. Weirdest Track

No prizes as of yet but I'm sure we'll sort something out.

The deadline to send your tracks in by is:
Monday the 11th of July

Drop it here:
http://soundcloud.com/dnbforumproductioncomp/dropbox/profile

That gives everyone exactly 1 month and 1 day from here. Plenty of time! Any tracks sent in after this may be disqualified as I don't wanna have to fart arse around because someone didnt get their act together.

It will be named voting before the top 3 are passed onto our glamourous team of judges!

We have one judge on board at the moment:
Ozmatic
Mr Fletch
miszt

Have fun, be creative and if everyone's ready...
On your marks, set, GO!

Last edited:
i'm gonna enter this merely to kick start trying to produce. i like the creative element.

however does anyone know how clearly sounds will come through by reversing some hd 25s to use as a mic?

i'm gonna enter this merely to kick start trying to produce. i like the creative element.

however does anyone know how clearly sounds will come through by reversing some hd 25s to use as a mic?

Yeah mate! Get on it!

They shouldnt be too bad... you just dont wanna accidentally wreck them. I'd be scared of breakin mine if I tried to do that... £180 a pop doesn't make em easily replaceable

probs make it better! ima do it through reversed cans (y)

recording through sennheiser headphones is just fine dude, they dont have much reach but weve done that plenty of times. headphones as mic, under a darbuka (smaller conga from the middle east i think) in a TCM compressor and the pink behringer distortion pedal became a furious reece.

Id like to jump in on this but I dont have any recording equipment whatsoever! If you need me to be a judge though, I'd be more than happy to do that...

@Fletch Could you not borrow a mic off of anyone? If you really can't then you can be a judge for sure!

I realise the recording thing means some people can't take part which sucks but I suppose it's part of the game... :(

personally im just going to beat box seperate drum hits (kicks, snares, crash etc) and then some breaks, hats, fills, loops etc, then some bass and the such and just put it all together and process as i would normally!?

I'm confused. how do we mash it to bits if we're only allowed to record? can we still use vst effects and whatnot? :)

Yeah! You can process the audio to hell and back... you just can't use synths/vst instruments.

Camel phat/space, Ohmicide... whatever... you can use filters and all that stuff to manipulate the sound in whatever way you want.

@richie... yeah I was prolly gonna do something like that. Maybe knock the table or something for added punch on the kicks or whatever..

Yeah I'm gonna pass on this one for now ( got a couple of projects already in the works, and a pretty shitty cold right now too) But I'd be more than happy to judge if you need me.

Back
Top Bottom