The DnB Forum "Sample Your Own" Production Competition 2011

this kinda defeats the whole anonymity of judging when it comes round to it, no?

edit : sorted :2thumbs: lol i was too tempted and hit play :( its a good tune just, i thought we werent meant to use kicks or snares or basses? that are not our own samples?? i dunno if i understood this competition properly coz i thought you couldnt use daws? but could we use external synths?? or drum machines? i dunno?? i may of fucked this comp up in that case lol

Last edited:
fuck my bad i deleted the link if you would too sphinx then it doesn't matter so long you 2 didn't hit play >.< that didn't even cross my mind! I can be a bit thick sometimes my bad! I'll make it private till Sphin's quote gets it taken out so no one can hit play.

Sam how bout we drop them to your own SC account? You'd have to download them all, rename them something random and upload them to the forum account. Just an idea.

edit : sorted :2thumbs: lol i was too tempted and hit play :( its a good tune just, i thought we werent meant to use kicks or snares or basses? that are not our own samples?? i dunno if i understood this competition properly coz i thought you couldnt use daws? but could we use external synths?? or drum machines? i dunno?? i may of fucked this comp up in that case lol

Errr I used a DAW... were we not supposed to?
All the sounds I used I recorded myself, didn't record any actual drums though like!

Didn't use any synthesis though... thought that was the aim. Haha what a mess :P

this kinda defeats the whole anonymity of judging when it comes round to it, no?

I made those kicks snares and basses outta my voice homie =) Here's how I did it - Hum into a mic for about 8 seconds... then I loaded that up into Image Lines latest product New Tone and adjusted my out of tune humming so that it was about 95% 1 pitch all the way through. Then I loaded up the pitch corrected WAV into Edison and set up some loop points so that I had a never ending hum. Then I made about 6 copies of that in my Step Sequencer.

For the Bass I threw on some distortion to roughen it up and then frequency split THAT so that i could more precisely distort and effect certain areas (I split it into 5 bands for this). I then jammed out a basic Bass Line on my MIDI keyboard. I then dumped that bass line to WAV and then chopped it up. I duplicated it and reversed the 2nd copy and did some Chopping and Splicing to get a better bass line.

For the Sub Bass all I did was some compression and EQ to cut frequencies above about 90Hz so that all was left was sub. (simple enough)

For the Pad I threw on a chorus and then freq split it into Mids and Highs and threw another slight chorus on the top end and did a lil 'dimension expander' trick I do with reverb units. Basically what you do is set a pre-delay of like 5ms and a decay of like .3-.6 of a second and it sounds a lot like the dimension expander found in NI Massive.

For the Lead it was pretty much same as the bass... distort, freq. split, distort some more...

For the Kick and Snare I beat boxed into the mic and then did some EQ and compression work. I then frequency split THOSE so that i coul more precisely compress and effect certain frequencies to get a more 'authentic' sound.

-dont wanna give away which tune is mine with this section so I edited it out-

Shakers and tambourines were allowed to be recorded so I just recorded mine and that was that...

I have all a passion for audio manipulation (which is why I entered this contest haha) so this was just right up my alley. If you'd like you can hit me up on AIM - kornkrazywordup and I can walk you threw it better =)

Last edited:
Hey Sam/Logikz.
Just noticed there's 2 different Forum Competition SC accounts. Logikz one and Moriaty's (Gordo) one. The link here takes us to Moriaty's page, was that supposed to happen?

Errr I used a DAW... were we not supposed to?
All the sounds I used I recorded myself, didn't record any actual drums though like!

Didn't use any synthesis though... thought that was the aim. Haha what a mess :P

my bad i meant synths not daws ofcourse we can use daws!!
I was just surprised at the similarity of the kick n snares to a normal kick n snare sample, i am listenin off a laptop tho, and to be honest i see how its possible reading what you wrote man, an i didnt do nearly any of the amounts of processing you did, so props.

Hey Sam/Logikz.
Just noticed there's 2 different Forum Competition SC accounts. Logikz one and Moriaty's (Gordo) one. The link here takes us to Moriaty's page, was that supposed to happen?

i think that you may of sussed it mate!

Last edited:
I was just surprised at the similarity of the kick n snares to a normal kick n snare sample, i am listenin off a laptop tho, and to be honest i see how its possible reading what you wrote man, an i didnt do nearly any of the amounts of processing you did, so props.

Haha thanks man! Yeah I spent a large amount of the time making the song on processing =P I'd say over 1/2 of the time to make the song was just me processing the sounds to get them close to where I wanted them =) again if you want more info about how I did it I'm more than willing to share man! I do a lot of video tutorials on my youtube and have considered doing one for this type of work but I just don't think my single core 1.86GHz processor and 1GB of DDR2 RAM could handle it haha

Sam how bout we drop them to your own SC account? You'd have to download them all, rename them something random and upload them to the forum account. Just an idea.

Good idea

Hopefully I wont come across as the dictionary definition of numbnuts this time...

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

Hey Sam/Logikz.

You're bang on the money there mate!

I must have sent the link to moriarty's account from ages ago.

OK... NEW LINK!

http://soundcloud.com/dnbforum-production-comp/dropbox/profile

HAHA....Sam you utter tool! When do us judges get to listen to these bad boys?

Oh and BTW, that new link you posted is still taking us to the old page....

HAHA....Sam you utter tool! When do us judges get to listen to these bad boys?

Oh and BTW, that new link you posted is still taking us to the old page....

As long as you see

DnBForum Production Comp udo dirkschneider, Amsterdam, Netherlands,

then I think it's the right place.

Hmmmm... we have 4. I would have entered mine but I've got re-sits and didnt get to finish it off. GHEEEY

I'll give it till this monday coming before I lock down the entrants. If you haven't finished your track then you have an extra 3 days to polish turds and send em in!

Back
Top Bottom