The DnB Forum "Sample Your Own" Production Competition 2011

I'm up for this, but I can't play an instrument worth shit so this'll be super experimental. When's the deadline?

thank you mr fletch! much appreciated. its shaping up to be a lovely competiton here at dnbforum. so far we got five peoples, loosely counted, post in this thread to sign up for the compo.

Ok. So far, people par-taking are:

Logikz
RevTech
Richie Stix
Phat_Sam
Jwood27
Freek
subprime
RedRavenRuler

If there's anyone I've missed then just shout! Just tryin to get a tally goin!

Judges so far:
Ozmatic
Mr Fletch
miszt

Last edited:
i'll take part in both of those! BUT! MAJOR BUT! i have another idea for a competition. what about a competition based on samples from movies or videos? just sounds no musical sounds or anything with musical elements and then with your bank of collected sounds from various videos you could make a huge glitch up?

I think we should just stay away from Vst's other than mixer fx... If you can't process your voice and tune it to make a Sub bass how are you going to process any other sound as far as melody sounds go... just my thoughts...

In other news I'm having fun working on this!

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

I know I'm double posting but I didn't wanna edit this into my last post in case someone had already read that one and skips over the addition.

So I have a question about drums... I know I'm not allowed to record my drum set (I don't understand that rule since I don't have a guitar but people can record guitars to use... doesn't seem real fair) but anyways if i like beat box a kick drum am I allowed to pitch edit like the initial hit of it to give it more punch etc... basically how much are we allowed to manipulate the recording to get the drum sound we want...

I've made (what I think) is a SICK growling bass sound by humming and doing a shit load of frequency splitting and distortion which I understand is allowed but I wasn't sure on like drum sound edits...

RRR that's exactly what you can do, manipulate your recorded audio any way you want. Pitch envelope, eq, filter, distort layer etc etc. hey presto kick drum.

Labrat I was wondering that too, where the line is drawn there, like a shaker or something. Maybe if it's not from a standard drum kit it's ok? Tbh there's so many options for banging stuff together it probably doesn't matter that much.

Back
Top Bottom