The Cube - Work in progress

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
Hi guys and gals.

This is a project I'm currently working on, it's only 1 minute into the track but I'm looking for some feedback and a little help on the direction of the track from you lovely peeps!

I know the mixdown needs working on because I havnt really begun that process yet so please dont fill the thread with mastering comments lol!

I just want to know your thoughts on drumloop structure, the bass etc etc. And also if you have any words of wisdom on where to take the track? Breakdowns, FX etc.

You're a lovely bunch and it's a pleasure to be part of the gang!:clown:

http://soundcloud.com/mr-fletch/the-cube-4

suck up.... :clown: well, your right... mastering/mixdown needs to be done! but this is something that will come with practice and time, but should be something you include as you go along rather than some pst production process!

quite like it, and i see why you want direction... it's got good structure and a good drop and stuff, but doesn't go anywhere? I think the main synth needs more presence and maybe switch it up speed, pattern or sound wise?

perhaps hve the second drop as some crazy variation to the first, almost like a vip mix but for the second drop?

to be honest i am in need of something similar, i made this last night but then got the writes block after 3 hours - http://soundcloud.com/richie_stix/ripleys-chase-wip-three-hours-spent feedback?

Could try a bit of distortion on the bass? The bass line is quite straight ahead, so I reckon throw some more drum edits in to keep it interesting.

Hmm.....interesting. I'm gonna play around with the mixdown for a few hours before venturing any further with the track. Maybe that will help me come up with some sort of direction.

As for your tune, I like where it's heading. The intro is a bit long winded but it's only a work in progress so I'm sure you're gonna play around with it anyway. I'm also hearing alot of tunes with that nasty bass in it. I love it but for the love of all things hairy cannot work out how to create it!!!! C'mon, share the secret?

Could try a bit of distortion on the bass? The bass line is quite straight ahead, so I reckon throw some more drum edits in to keep it interesting.

Yeah I've only altered the drumloop once, I'm gonna change them up a few more times yet. I thought about distortion on the bass, but then decided against it as I thought it might ruin it......Something I may just experiment with now you've mentioned it!

just needs a bit more variation, stepping up every other bit. i would make a section with less layers in it and maybe JUST the sub bass playing that riff, so that section would add more depth to part of the tune, then going back into the full beat brings it all back up again.

as for the tune its got a vintage old school sound maybe dnb when it was crossing over out of jungle in the 90s, but nowdays a melody like that is a bit cheesy

I cant believe you just called my tune cheesy!!!!! LOL!

But seriously, I appreciate the feedback. One of my big flaws right now is not getting enough variation into a tune, I find it really difficult to break away from the rhythm and change things up!

yeah, i think variation is key here, as well as atmospherics. if you can boost that bass a bit and fill out the spectrum, this could be ruthless. i don't really know why, but i really like the sound of this, you should absolutely finish it.

yeah, i think variation is key here, as well as atmospherics. if you can boost that bass a bit and fill out the spectrum, this could be ruthless. i don't really know why, but i really like the sound of this, you should absolutely finish it.

By "boost that bass" do you mean actually apply a low end "bass" boost to it? Or do you mean something entirely different and I've just made a fool outta myself??? lol!:rinsed:

What synth are you using for the bassline? I would add another oscillator (square or saw, see which sounds good) and pitch it up 12 and detune for width. Should fill it out nicely. :)

What synth are you using for the bassline? I would add another oscillator (square or saw, see which sounds good) and pitch it up 12 and detune for width. Should fill it out nicely. :)

Well I use FL Studio 8. Normally for bass I will use Predator. But for this tune I actually used the Sytrus! Two Oscillators, one square and one saw. With an lfo wobble.

if ur gonna keep the synth pattern as it is, u could either try beefing it up so it sound sick by itself, or create a couple of others synths playing the same pattern, and switch it around between them all?

Back
Top Bottom