The creation of kicks and snares

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So I'm getting a little tired of hunting around for kick and snare samples, layering them up etc etc and would like to start trying to creat my own.

Does anyone know the basics of this? Oscillators, waves etc.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated

A lot of dnb drums are actual recorded bass drums and snare drum hit's from a drum kit, then processed. Not sure how to go about creating them from a synth. Kind of would like to know myself.

Ok for kicks:

Sine wave with immediate attack, short decay, no sustain and no release - then modulate the pitch upwards with immediate attack and an even shorter decay. Then add another wave on top (trianle or square should do the trick) to give the kick some of that essential midrange punch.

For snares:

White noise with immediate attack, short decay, no sustain and no release. Add another wave (triangle/sine/square) underneath.

That's the bog standard, with the right processing you can get that sounding pretty fat (and even fatter if you layer with other kicks).

A lot of the popular 909 style kick drums have a real heavy pitch envelope to them. They start relatively high, maybe layered with some noise that decays very quickly but the rest of the kick just goes down and down in pitch. If you load up a basic club kick and look at it with an analyzator you'll see how the pitch goes down.

So I'm getting a little tired of hunting around for kick and snare samples, layering them up etc etc and would like to start trying to creat my own.

Does anyone know the basics of this? Oscillators, waves etc.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated

mate you on aim? I have 100's of drum samples. kicks, snares, toms, cymbals. want me to send you some? All of them have been recorded dry through an SSL/Neve

^^ any chance you could sort me out with some samples please mate.
I'm thinking of buying the ray kieth pack... im only just starting and wondering whether its worth it though

mate you on aim? I have 100's of drum samples. kicks, snares, toms, cymbals. want me to send you some? All of them have been recorded dry through an SSL/Neve

Unfortunately I'm not. Is there another way you can get them to me? If not I'll go set up an aim account. Really appreciate the offer. Thanks

Unfortunately I'm not. Is there another way you can get them to me? If not I'll go set up an aim account. Really appreciate the offer. Thanks

whats your email? pm it to me if thats cool. I will make you some form of pack and sendspace it over.

Ok for kicks:

Sine wave with immediate attack, short decay, no sustain and no release - then modulate the pitch upwards with immediate attack and an even shorter decay. Then add another wave on top (trianle or square should do the trick) to give the kick some of that essential midrange punch.

For snares:

White noise with immediate attack, short decay, no sustain and no release. Add another wave (triangle/sine/square) underneath.

That's the bog standard, with the right processing you can get that sounding pretty fat (and even fatter if you layer with other kicks).

how well does this work? any examples?

Back
Top Bottom