The breakdown of your drums?

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Recently i've been trying a lot to produce, and I don't think theres anything as fun as fiddling around in reason's malstrom to create a bassline, but whenever it comes to drums, I always get the impressions im doing it wrong, either because:

A. I feel like I'm stealing people's material a lot
B. It just doesn't sound right

Usually when I'm doing the drums, I start by taking some kick / snares / hats from sample packs, popping them in the EQ and messing around a bit, and then make a sequence with them

After that I just usually put a break in, modify the pitch a bit and reduce it's volume, and then I either add some percursion, cymbals etc etc

What is the usual breakdown of your drums? Also, in a lot of drum and bass songs I hear some use of instruments in a certain pattern, like violins or pianos etc. Do the artists make those themselves, or do they just take them from songs etc? Cheers

Recently i've been trying a lot to produce, and I don't think theres anything as fun as fiddling around in reason's malstrom to create a bassline, but whenever it comes to drums, I always get the impressions im doing it wrong, either because:

A. I feel like I'm stealing people's material a lot
B. It just doesn't sound right

Usually when I'm doing the drums, I start by taking some kick / snares / hats from sample packs, popping them in the EQ and messing around a bit, and then make a sequence with them

After that I just usually put a break in, modify the pitch a bit and reduce it's volume, and then I either add some percursion, cymbals etc etc

What is the usual breakdown of your drums? Also, in a lot of drum and bass songs I hear some use of instruments in a certain pattern, like violins or pianos etc. Do the artists make those themselves, or do they just take them from songs etc? Cheers

u pretty much just answered ur own question

thats pretty much it mate... one of the best bits of advice is there is no 'right' way, sample packs sampling yourself, whatever... the key is getting it to sound good!

the technique you describe is the way i and most people put it together... but to further it look on you tube for subfocus's and juggernauts video's on production!

success_baby1.jpg

kick-EQ
snare (s) EQ
Hats/shakers EQ
Perc EQ
Break(s) EQ
Other FX eg white noise strange sounds,home made samples etc

Then i always tend to use parallel compression over the whole drum track. I dont think i could get by without using it now!

Then i always tend to use parallel compression over the whole drum track. I dont think i could get by without using it now!

As in you apply it over all your drums? And hats or just kick and snare? Not individual drums as it suits them? interesting. i will try this.

As in you apply it over all your drums? And hats or just kick and snare? Not individual drums as it suits them? interesting. i will try this.

Yea you wouldnt have to apply it seperately to each track as the idea with parallel compression is that you set it up so that you can mix it back with the original dry sound, so the compressor is working more like a send/return effect than as an insert.

Back
Top Bottom