The Boy Dun Got Published.

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by EWOKS, May 19, 2013.

1. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

Books arrived from New York

Dun Did It Dint I.

clock the full birth name poetry-esque been smoking opium int i.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuckin Poetry and Pressed Flowers b2b Tie Dye Shirt and Pongy Todgers.

logikz and Catsel like this.
  2. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

3. EWOKS

4. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

doesn't even rhyme bro

5. EWOKS

CRAYOLA BARS DEM?

RocksteadyUK and Shatner's Bosom like this.
  6. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

thats actually petty huge sam!! congrats, nice one!! but why did you pirate bootleg your own shit like that, sort of defeats the purpose, does it not!

7. EWOKS

cheers bruvnor.

pirate pegleg what?? .. i got the books recently, and just took a pic and uploaded? did i do the bad thing?

8. logikz

haha i thought the poems were thouroughly enjoyable btw. ah they grow up so fast. squeeze tit.

9. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Ahhh meaningless blank verse...how very post-modern!

Seriously though well done getting published and that. How comes it was on that side of the Atlantic?

10. EWOKS

its about my brother who died, we scattered his ashes in the sea at Stokes Bay beach.

the image of the melting icecream is one of innocence, and the course the torrents of icecream take thru the pavement is meant to reflect fate.

the crow is myself, helplessly watching the circumstances unfold, and a dark image upon a peaceful and innocent yet frail scene.

i could go on for along time explaining the different metaphor and the ideas im putting across but tbh i cant be fucked.. altho i might do a proper analysis one day.. for those that care and would like to take everything they can from it. such as my ol mum. i assure you it isnt meaningless.

i entered it online, not for a comp or anything.. i recieved an email one day from a publisher saying hes putting a book together with works from people all over the globe and wondered if i would like it being in there coz he rated it.. its personal. i know most wont 'get it ' ... but i didnt write it for anyone. it wrote itself, i observed. and the rest is history me ol mucka x

- - - Updated - - -

that wasnt a mini violin post btw.. just wanted to say that it does make alot of sense.. i guess i cant blame someone for misinterpretation.. as its personal so half of it just wont make any sense. i write all sorts doe. hopefully i can knock up something that people can wrap their domes around abit better

ONSLAUGHT88 likes this.
  11. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Well done Sam. Quality mate.

12. Anth

Anth Active Member

I write poetry myself and know how hard it is to get published so well done. Is this your only poem?

13. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

yes ethwicks! well played buddy.

14. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

I see. I could see ice cream and crows and bits of foil but I'll be honest...free verse is more about the words than the meaning isn't it? It's obscurantism is it's hallmark is it not? It's a very common complaint that this alienates the reader (which of course it does).

My problem is that this style deals with mini vignettes (fleeting images taking up half a sentence) without any real flow from one to the other. What you get is a series of visuals (emotionally tinged or whatever) apparently unconnected to each other. You could quite easily, as with parts of your poem, cut these sentences out and arrange them in a different order without crippling the poem. It's lack of conventional meaning makes it that flexible.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth apologies for jumping into this thread with both feet.

- - - Updated - - -

How comes America doe?

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  15. logikz

lol i dunno. is it coldest in the center of the ice cube btw?

16. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

Congrats, I'm having a bud and an all vinyl mix, for you. For you sweet poet

17. Anth

Anth Active Member

It takes honing of the craft and skill to be able to write free-verse without it falling into the traps you mentioned, its very rare to find, but if this is this guys first effort then its one of the better first efforts ive seen, mostly avoiding cliche and other signs of being new to writing poetry, a worthy poem to be published.

i prefer poems to have a little less structure, it allows for more surreal images to come through, and it shows the flow of imagination on the page as it came to the writers mind, rewriting and restructuring means it sometimes loses that.

18. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

What's the book called? Do you get commission?

19. Anth

Anth Active Member

its rare to be paid even to be featured in the most well known anthologies, its all about getting your name out there.

20. EWOKS

well made points jaro.. im hungover and just boshed loads of codeine so my brain isnt firing. but in nutshell. the negatives you point out, i see as positives.. ill elaborate more soon man. also.. mini vignettes and obscurantism gets you 10 Internets. also i dont know why america.. it was an american forum it was posted on i guess.. so a septic tank picked it up.. being a yank i guess they thought.. lets get it published here? what you wondering for anyway? itd be cool to get something published in london.. but everyones gettin all wordy these days.. think i just got lucky. i usually write hiphop lyrics.. more on a deeper lever than ' me and my bishes and my chain yo ' ... so this tbh is one of my first full attempts.. if you gave this poem to a critic i have no doubt they would think it abit gash.. and alltho free verse is free.. theres still rules and shit as to waht makes a poem 'good' or not.. however, i write for me.. i chose the structure.. theres not much you could switch around really as it all follows on.. one day ill write an analysis man.. and ill send it your way? tell me what you think. i was just happs its in a book with some other awesome poetry.. i enjoy free verse tho. i enjoy decipthering meanings.. the more you learn about the author the more the penny drops and you take different things from the barings of their soul .. its like art cristics musing over a paintings 'meaning' and 'message' for hours.. all pointing out different elements and discussing what the artist is attempting to portray.. you could do the same with alot of poetry / lyrics etc.. and most artistic creations i guess.. sry for fwaffling shit.. ill link you an analysis sometimes you may be able to enjoy it more then.. most poetry i read tho.. first time.. im like wtf was that about then? which i love.. coz then i know its not just bullshit.. so i go on a google mission for about 3 months deciphering the poem reading up on it and the author piecing it all together.. i enjoy that shit.. but some prefer cats eye reflection i guess (that was meana sound super awesome kool story bro )

Last edited: May 19, 2013
    ThePapa likes this.