The Art of Sampling

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Multeeplex, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Multeeplex

Multeeplex very drunken

Hey guys,

i'm doing a project for university where i am describing the art of sampling and how it was invented. I am also looking for some weird sample techniques... i remember i have once seen a video where some guys sampled the sounds of plates, fork, knifes in order to use them for a song, but unfortunately i can't remember how that video was called. If you have any video material, please let me know :)

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

mmmm. ok. we actually had a competition a while ago where you had to make the best tune using only sounds you recorded yourself. youd be surprised how many dull thunks and clinks the world is made of, and how few long clean tones there is to be had. i found a bunch on the train, some on a sailing boat. long wires vibrating. i can send you my tune. i actually got loxys attention with it.

i think dj shadow used a looped reverb and layered that on his beats instead of using reverb plugs, which is an interesting technique, if youre trying to save space kind of thing.

me and the lads like to sample weird shit too, we did a neuro bass through a darbuka, a pink behringer pedal and a tc1 compressor. which is an old chestnut of a story. and much much more.

3. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8vt3RZxkSU

This might come in handy for you - General rule of thumb, there is no real rules, youd be surprised where some sounds actually come from. One of my tunes uses the sounds of rocks and skateboards hitting the floor for the snare drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

This would be a great starting point for your assignment, a hell of alot of stuff stemed from this, and its still used largely today.

another thing to bare in mind is sound design for film - films like lord of the rings use machetes hitting cabbages for the sounds of peoples getting their noggings chopped off.

hope i've helped

4. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

you could also go into how it's developed, many synths like Alchemy allow you to fuck with audio with no limits. Really impressive videos on stuff like that.

5. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

6. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

Pretty sure Delta Heavy or one of the Ram artists have recently made a video of them sampling a blender to make a bassline

7. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

DJ Shadow would be an interesting guy to talk about - One of his albums (Endtroducing) uses nothing but samples.

And again - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI - Very very interesting stuff and shows how widely used sampling really is.

sorry for the waffle but got lots :p send me a message if you have any q's

8. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

Wilkinson - Blender Bass

he also does one called Bathroom Bass, both have videos on how hes done it

9. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

There's a "hoover bass" as well floating around the tubes..

That pots-and-pans video with Alix Perez locked up in his linen closet.

That short documentary thing about the history of the Amen and its significant yet largely unsung impact on popular music.

In short, sampling tarted the first time someone noticed somebody else doing anything at all and figured "that's a pretty clever / impressive / otherwise-positive-somehow idea, I'd like to have a go at that.." or possibly "what a complete and utter nob'ed, I'm sure I could do that ten times as good!"

I advice you get the book "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins just for the chapter on memetics which is a concept he came up with that seems pretty god damn smart.

10. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

Have a look online for this, really good documentary about modern hip hop / sampling.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  11. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

There's this film called "Everything's a Remix" I think it was that deals with copyright and sampling and legal shit and all that, I remember it as being both informative and entertaining.

12. logikz

a richard dawkins flipping whatnow? the selfish gene. thats your reply to a thread about sampling. meh nevermind, its not like i have the capability to stay on topic for very long. i hate death proof. the first part is cool, with the seedy bar and the awesome lap dance but the rest is just soooo fucking stupid.

13. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Hey, if I brought it up I had a reason to bring it up dawg, don't you try to knock on my flavour either, nasayin'? I'm'a keep cool like I be cool, a'ight, ain't nothin' you can do about it. No go read that book and educate yourself, you might just make it out the ghetto yet.

14. alz

alz compress to impress

15. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Heres a good video of Billain making a bassline using a massager and some bits of metal;

16. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

nsfw

17. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

as logikz mentioned DJ shadow, you might find this helpful

and if not helpful, its still an amazing piece of footage about "crate-digging". find it very inspirational!

18. kenyon

kenyon @ The Crack Spot

Exile sampling from live radio

19. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

my mates a big fan of recording his own samples, e.g. the other day i watched him make some DIRT bass sounds from running a bit of cardboard against a radiator and got some hat sounds by tapping the bottom of a coffee tin, i rarely see him using anything from a sample pack.

20. logikz

top stuff that jools. what about you, when are you going to start sampling?