The Art Of Mcinig

The_BigZ

Hi I mc In my spare time just as a interest

What makes a good Mc?

Ive so many repetive flows and chit chat where you cant actually understand what they are saying

I'm trying to pen down some good dnb lyrics can anyone give me a basis how to write good lyric

So Far ive got

Step Up Hypa Feel Da music I'll Put u In a Brand New Twist
I'm Deadly and dangerous like a death kiss timea step up make ya last wish The perpentrator Eliminator god's created the track mender i'm the lyrical sender mashing up the blender selecta!

The_BigZ said:
I'm trying to pen down some good dnb lyrics can anyone give me a basis how to write good lyric

SMHOKING WEED SMHOKING WEED
WHO SMOKES THE BLUNTS? WE SMOKE THE BLUNTS.
FUUCK FUUCK FUUCK FUCK, MOTHER MOTHERFUCK MOTHERMOTHERFUCK, MOTHERMOTHER FUCKFUCK MOTHERMOTHER FUCK... JUNGLE LOVEEEEE OOUWIIEOOUWIE OU I THINK I WANNA KNOW YA KNOW YAAAAaa

Found these while googleing, free to use I guess :spliff:

A good mc can use words is a way that complements the music rather than drowning it.
Repetition is fine, as long as the verses are good enough to be repeated.
A good mc knows when to give the mic a break and shut the fuck up for a moment.
A good mc knows how to hype the crowd without resorting to BIDDYBIDDYBIDDYBIDDYDEALWIVDAMATTER.

:carlton:

ha, this old chestnut! well my 2 cents ...

dont chat over a breakdown EVER, or while a mix is peaking out (unless you are cool with the DJ and you know each others style)

remember, you are there to present the tunes to the crowd, and incite them to party a little harder = doesnt mean hollering like you've just swallowed a wheelbarrow of angel-dust.
\
avoid cliches, or better yet, create your own. MCs are responsible for the spread of a lot of slang within dnb, and most of it gets repeated ad nauseum.
seen?

dont ever, ever use 2 mics like some I've seen. You are quite simply not that important.

no matter what a mc is saying! if the crowd are going nuts then thats the aim of it all ? whether its bidabida bla or other ways of mcin . thers only a small majority out there that cry every time a mc chats fast or in lingo they dont understand. just switch it up all the time and and always exspect critisism no matter what u do on the mic . not everyone is exspected to like a sertain mc but on the other hand you will get respect from other people along the way . i reckon most people start as an mc then the more intellegent lyracist step up to hip hop i e more depth in lyrics vocab etc big up to all mces were ever your at ..:bounce:

A good MC almost enhances the rythym, adding extra ones of their own. I would say listen to a whole load of different styles of MCing from Hip hop to Ragga, and try to have more than one flavour. maybe even find out more about how peotry and stuff is structured and put together , after all you wanna be a wordsmith. Syncopation dats da word I'm looking for.
Mc's often want the mic turned right up, learn to trust the DJ/Soundman and leave them to set the level.Too many tape packs have more MC than bass. :mrpanic:

I think humour is important...maybe start a "Your Mum takes it in the B?? just for fun, suckin lots of D??s till they cum...stuffs a d??do up ya dad's B??.....Ya might as well go f@@@ ya mum, not like its nothing everyone else already before, ya know why cos ya mums a wh???re ...shizza maybe I can do this MC thing after all ?

Time To Bless Dis Story it's all about ya mums morning glory! lmao

Yeah see what you mean

I would describe my float laid back kinda like mc fats at times with the ragga edge

but I can also spit chat fast at when the tunes pick up

Slowly hyype until the kick sets in kinda stuff

ever seen Mc Forsyth? Legen lol :bruce:

Best mc Brucie B play your cards right son u aint fuking wid me lol

Stan Phase said:
A good MC almost enhances the rythym, adding extra ones of their own. I would say listen to a whole load of different styles of MCing from Hip hop to Ragga, and try to have more than one flavour. maybe even find out more about how peotry and stuff is structured and put together , after all you wanna be a wordsmith. Syncopation dats da word I'm looking for.
Mc's often want the mic turned right up, learn to trust the DJ/Soundman and leave them to set the level.Too many tape packs have more MC than bass. :mrpanic:

I think humour is important...maybe start a "Your Mum takes it in the B?? just for fun, suckin lots of D??s till they cum...stuffs a d??do up ya dad's B??.....Ya might as well go f@@@ ya mum, not like its nothing everyone else already before, ya know why cos ya mums a wh???re ...shizza maybe I can do this MC thing after all ?

i wouldn't quit your day job.

mekim said:
i wouldn't quit your day job.
HA HA....I wish most MC's would quit their day job!!! :uberlaugh :banana: That been said, MC Wong came out of retirement last week on my show, so there you go full of contradictions me...not ANTI MC, but ANTI nobnutz BS spitters

Last edited:
Ez Big Z,

I'm one of the resident MCs for Breakneck, an event in Portsmouth, and have been MCing for around 5 years now.

My advice:

Enjoy yourself, and be yourself. Write lyrics that apply to you (things you find funny, things that affect you, ditties on popular culture etc.), not lyrics that are created through bullshit like guns, fiddies, hos keepin' theys legs closed that has absolutely no relevance to you whatsoever (N.B. if the aforementioned do have relevance, ur in the wrong forum).

Really get a feel for the music, understand the different types within the genre, and allow your lyrics and what you say or do to correlate with particular tunes etc.

Respect the DJ. This is paramount. Don't feel afraid to shut up when you're MCing even tho a bunch of sweaty ****s hanging over the barriers are trying to make u do an impression of a machine gun. People will notice and respect it.

Form an alliance with a DJ; creating a musical relationship with a DJ works wonders. You will both learn how to work with the other and produce the best sets. Look at Friction and SP, Swift and IC3.

Be clear in what you are saying. Project your voice, don't shout. Sometimes the MIC levels will not be on your side, sometimes they will. Work with them, shit happens.

Slow lyrics: make them trademarks. Make them catchy. Be proud of them. Work on them loads.

Quick lyrics: don't make them too complicated or cram too many words in a line - concentrate on a bouncy rhythm and some cheeky internal rhyming. This often helps. Don't go biddibiddibiddibiddibo.

On lyrics in general: read into how rhymes and rhythms work. Couplets, Triplets, Quatrains etc. Rhyme schemes abab, abba, etc....play around with words. Tetrameters, pentameters. This is sounding really geeky, but I do English at Uni, and a lot of the stuff I learn in poetry i apply to lyrics. Read up on it, they sound so much better if they follow structure.

Learn what works best for you: have a good knowledge of tunes and an understanding of musical patterns (bars, phrases etc). You will find out with time.

One last thing:

Practice.

Hope that helps,

Gibs:respekt:

Appreciation Gibs

I know what you mean chatting repetitive lyrics isn't the way to go and over doing aswell does my head in!

I like the laid back simple flow

How can I get into mcing mainstream? im thinking about setting up a website putting my stuff on there

Back
Top Bottom