The art of makin an omelette..

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Catsel, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

so ive recently discovered how to make a basic omelette (y) but it never tastes as good as it looks.. and its usually burned a lil!

the only ingredients ive got are bits of ham/frank furter, and lumps of cheese.. maybe a few 'erbs n pepper.. plus 3 eggs, mush it all into a pan.. n cook... it tatses good.. but with a hint of retch...

so basically i need to know how to make it taste better! and am i ment to add milk? and what else can i add?

how do u make urz!?!?!?! :not_worth

2. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

i think you do add milk dude!

3. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Never add milk, season up your eggs hard, fry your other shit first to release the flavour, then add another knob of butter when you drop the beaten eggs in, then its all technique, just keep folding it once an edge has sealed, from the side to the middle.

I like mine just set, usually take it off the heat when its still runny in the middle & put a lid on the pan & leat the steam & residual heat just cook it through.

4. Catsel

@ ritchie .. really? cos i did once.. can't remember what happened tho :p

add butter?? seraiy?.. also, i let it cook. then flip it ova, n let that side cook.. you fold?? won't that make a ball of food? lol

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  5. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

maybe i'm thinking of scramble...

6. Catsel

could do with knowing how to make that too..... share... this thread is now the cooking with EGGS thread (y) lol

7. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

Never add milk to an omelette/scrambled egg mix. It ruins the taste. 3 or 4 eggs whisked in a mixer for 10 - 15 minutes will produce the fluffiest omelette you will ever taste. Always use butter to cook it and take care when flipping it as it will be about an inch thick.

8. Catsel

i use two plates for flipping.. works..

9. Blurr

Blurr Wasted Selection

never made scramblers without milk, just a tablespoon per egg

10. greddie

greddie Super Sir Loin

eggs, dash of milk, diced red onion, ham, cheese
    tabasco sauce and a little bit of chopped fresh corriander,

Boom ting

11. Moskit

Its not just that Milk dilutes/ruins the flavour, there is a chemical reaction that occurs between something in the Milk & the Egg White (when heated) that produces similar gasses to those found in decomposing bodies...

Or something along those lines...

Its very minor & would never make you ill or anything, can't remember exactly what occurs, but it ain't the best.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  12. Catsel

onion!! need that. what bout muchrooms? can they go in the mix?.

what kinda butter do i need, normal spreadable? or the lard stuff...

Moskit, your knowledge of decomposing bodies is facinating (y) no milk will go near my ohm lette now :p

13. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

whisk eggs in the pan not in a bowl, as you break them down to soon in a bowl, season at the end with salt, not at the beginning, as agen it will break the egg down, try adding chopped chives.

14. EWOKS

that was a reply to the scrambled aggs you asked about by the way .. dont microwave scrambled eggs.. thats just turns them into rubber

15. Moskit

Shrimp eyes are a small yet tasty addition to any Egg based dish, as are steroids, coal & cat shit.

16. Catsel

i love to eat shrimp...........................

cat shit is good frozen.

tried to add salmon to omlette, but it tatsed shit.

17. EWOKS

18. Catsel

less of the cat shit n crack shit..

im goin shoppin, what ingredients whud i buy.. onions, mushrooms.. chives.. butter (what kind?)

19. EWOKS

How to make an omelette

1. One omelette will serve one person and, because it is so quick to make, it's not worth cooking a large one for two. So, according to how hungry you are, use 2-3 large eggs per person. For omelettes, the fresher the eggs the better, but up to two weeks old is fine. Just break the eggs carefully into a bowl and season with salt and freshly milled pepper. Blend the egg yolks and whites with a large fork – the number one rule is not to over-mix – no beating or whisking. At this stage you could add some snipped chives or perhaps 1½ oz (40 g) of grated cheese to the eggs if you like. These should be gently combined with the eggs using a fork.

2. The size of the pan is vital: too small and the omelette will be thick, spongy and difficult to fold, too large and the eggs will spread out like a thin pancake and become dry and tough. For a 2- or 3-egg omelette, the base should measure 6 inches (15 cm) in diameter. I recommend using a mixture of oil and butter, ½ teaspoon of each. Place the pan on the heat and let it get quite hot, add the butter and oil and as soon as it melts swirl it round, tilting the pan so that the base and the sides get coated.

3. Turn the heat up to its highest setting – when I first demonstrated this on television I said, 'As hot as you dare' and that still stands – then when the butter is foaming, pour the eggs into the pan, tilting it to and fro to spread the eggs evenly over the base. Leave it on the heat without moving it for a count of five.

4. After this time a bubbly frill will appear round the edge. Now you can tilt the pan to 45 degrees and, using a tablespoon, draw the edge of the omelette into the centre. The liquid egg will flow into the space, filling it. Now tip the pan the other way and do the same thing. Keep tilting it backwards and forwards, pulling the edges so that the egg can travel into the space left – all this will only take half a minute.

5. Soon there will be just a small amount of liquid left, just on the surface, so now is the time to start folding. Tilt the pan again and flip one side of the omelette into the centre then fold again. Take the pan to a warm plate and the last fold will be when you tip the omelette on to the plate. Remember, an omelette will go on cooking even on the plate, so serve it immediately. For this reason it is important to have some liquid egg left before you start folding, but if you have left too much, leave it to set on the plate before eating. The perfect omelette is one just tinged with gold on the surface and very soft and squidgy on the inside.

20. greddie

greddie Super Sir Loin

if u are makign scrambled eggs, chop your bacon up and cook it into the eggs, again add red onion and chopped corriander and some kinda chili, tabasco works well. always with the extra spice :)