The amen break...

monq

Hi all,

I was reading a wiki about d&b (does this make the saddest geek in the world? :D) here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bass

And I read about the Amen break... I looked for it, and I absolutely loved the darn thing, especially when I grabbed a trancey song I am making it, upped speed to 170, and put the break there... I guess this is my first step towards my full migration to d&b since I felt like jumping from my chair and starting dancing?! :D

I have a question ::: do I asume that there are various versions / subversions of this break, or is the amen a very defined rythm?

I will definitely focus on creating this beat from scratch with some samples to get the gist of it... so if anyone has got links to the amen break loop or to songs using this, I'd be grateful...

Apologies for so many questions in so little time... I hope that in a few months (years?) I can start returning the favour? :D

David

check the breaks exchange folder for the original/ other apaptations of the amens.
Its by far the most versitile yet the most rinsed break in every genre that there is. Ive heard it in plenty of songs, nearly all drum n bass tunes sample it.
You can use them as they are in a loop, or use it pitched up and do really small hits to give your drums a tappy feel to them, you can have them pitched down and high passed to give highend to your drums there are a number of different ways to use them, you wont find any other break quite as versatile as them!

also check this if u havent already seen it :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

Last edited:
The Amen break is that one sample, but an 'Amen' seems to refer now to any one of tons of variations. It symbolises that certain feel it gives.
For some reason that drum pattern generates energy. It takes a basic 4/4 rhythm, predictable and safe, and adds hits off the beat, 'breaking' up the steady underlying beat.
The first two bars slowed down and altered a little changed the riff in Smells Like Teen Spirit from a basic 4 chord progression into one of the biggest riffs I ever heard.
It just makes you want to dance.

Thanks a lot for the links and extra info guys... I was a bit unsure regarding what constitutes the amen (I asumed that it was a sample not subject to change, not only the rythm pattern), but I guess that subprime post allows some sorts of "freedom" in the form of samples...

I hate to grab loops and add them to what I compose, my aim is always to drill down and create elements from scratch... so knowing how the amen works structurally, then adding my own collection of samples would suit my way of composing best! :D

Again thx all :)

David

I only really use the amen for it's high end, I copy what my drums are doing and highpass them tweeking the pitch till they sit right, then finish up by eq'n it to remove any harsh frequencies.

Back
Top Bottom